Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    EVH diehard ...

Are VH recording a new cd for 2014 ?

There's been a lot of speculation about the state of VH , now that the overseas tours and final US dates have been played . A recent Twitter message from Dave , basically said (or hinted at) new material being worked on .

No doubt , they are touching up some of the leftover tracks from the 35 song bundle they had worked on 2 years ago . Do you think they intend to have a new release next year ? Will 2014 be another VH blitz of new music and touring ?
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Yours truly, As Is
    If they do a full album, it will probably be more of a late summer/fall release, at this point. Everyone, even young bands, just takes longer to do albums these days. And I'm not sure they are even still on Interscope's roster anymore, although they should just release it themselves and not give a cut of the profits to a record company.

I wouldnt be surprised if they did some more festivals next summer. As far as touring for a new album, I think they will probably make it a more relaxed, sporadic schedule to keep themselves healthy and free from burnout. Having 3 or even 4 days off between gigs would help save Dave's voice as well.

For the record, I do believe they are going to record another full album.
    Last edited by Jungle Drummer; September 22nd, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

EVH diehard ...
    Cool , man .

I do think a full album is in the works . They just had so much momentum , when the last album came out . Too bad they got sidelined because of unforeseen events .
    Thank God (the Maker , not Eddie ! hah) that the health issues were dealt with . When VH returned to Aussie/Japan and mostly in the States , they had a renewed hunger and spirit .

I truly think that they are serious about getting the job done . They've been with Dave since 2006/7 , and know what they are getting . I don't see any personal clashes that are lineup threatening . I believe that they know that youth is no longer on their side . The hourglass keeps draining , and I suspect we'll see new material sooner than later .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Yours truly, As Is
    I really hope that when they do tour again, they take a chance and play more new songs. I dont agree that fans only want to see the hits. If bands like Pearl Jam and Springsteen can mix up their sets and still get their fans in the seats, then surely VH can also do it. That was the biggest disappointment for me on this tour. There were several ADKOT songs that were just begging to be played live(As Is, hello!) and it's a shame they werent.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

EVH diehard ...
    Yeah , I agree . Two of my favorite bands (VH and Jovi) are very talented and have a wide range , with a vast repertoire . It kills me that they don't mix up their sets a lot more ? Even the banter between songs is fairly consistent , from city to city . I can't tell you how many times I've seen a show , and could tell which song was next by the drum intro , or the singer's chat to the audience .

"As Is" is just screaming to be heard live !!!
    I thought that after seeing/hearing that soundcheck clip , that the band would've worked it it . Not to mention the GW issue that mentioned it and showing the D2H equipped guitar . That song smokes , and is still one of my favs on the album .

"Stay Frosty" , "You and Your Blues" , "Outta Space" and "Beat's Workin" are all destined for the stage too . At least in my opinion .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    Yeah , I agree . Two of my favorite bands (VH and Jovi) are very talented and have a wide range , with a vast repertoire . It kills me that they don't mix up their sets a lot more ? Even the banter between songs is fairly consistent , from city to city . I can't tell you how many times I've seen a show , and could tell which song was next by the drum intro , or the singer's chat to the audience .

"As Is" is just screaming to be heard live !!!
    I thought that after seeing/hearing that soundcheck clip , that the band would've worked it it . Not to mention the GW issue that mentioned it and showing the D2H equipped guitar . That song smokes , and is still one of my favs on the album .

"Stay Frosty" , "You and Your Blues" , "Outta Space" and "Beat's Workin" are all destined for the stage too . At least in my opinion .
    I agree with all 4 of those you mentioned, and with Dave's voice being in better shape than it was in 2012, I would also like to see them play "Blood And Fire" a few more times. Also, even though some people love to denigrate it, I'd love to see them play HBSD too.

"Beats Workin", with that big intro and extended breakdown, would be a rowdy crowd pleaser, maybe as the first song of a 2 or 3 song encore like they used to do in the classic days...

EVH diehard ...
    I was going to mention "HBSD" . I think that it's great tune , but there's a lot going on in it . That tune might be one that goes over the audience's heads .
    I could be wrong ...
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Yours truly, As Is
    I guess I just never understand what the term, "a song will go over an audience's heads" means. I've heard people say that before, in fact I remember UG saying that about "As Is" way back when ADKOT came out and the tour was under way. I honestly dont know what it even means, particularly when addressing a Van Halen audience. If a song has Ed an Al smoking on it, it's not going over anyone who paid for a VH ticket's head.

EVH diehard ...
    It's a loose term for sure . I appreciate "HBSD" , and all it's twists and turns . A lot of fans will probably feel the same way . There are others though , who may not "get it" , because it's not the typical party rock song with a hugely memorable chorus .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Giving Dave A Break
    I think a new album is on the way next year and I can't wait.

I don't think you'll hear Stay Frosty live until they ditch Ice Cream Man, and I can't see that happening.

I new album would see a few old tracks cut to make room. Let's say they play 3 off the as yet non-existent 2014 album, 2 from ADKOT. They'd probably drop a couple of staples out of the existing set.