Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool Rare Pics

I know the law, friend.

Cool Rare Pics

Found these on what looks to be a relatively new tumblr forming, called Van Halen Rising:

Killer #VanHalen photo taken from the front row at the Bicentennial Center in Salina, Kansas on 24 August 1980.
    Salina, Kansas? I’m not sure I can even find it on a map, but those were the days when Van Halen performed in nearly every American city in support of an LP.

My Opa with the Van Halen Boys. 1978.

“My Opa played in the Royal Dutch Airforce band with Mr. Van Halen (Eddie and Alex’s father). Opa in the back with eyes closed. Alex on the left, Eddie on the right, family friend in the middle front, uncle Peter with creepy look in back. My Opa said he “remembers them pissing on his lap" when they were young, ahahah."

A rare #VanHalen photo taken at Michael Anthony’s 1981 wedding to his wife Sue. Eddie’s playing a Les Paul in the background as David Lee Roth makes a toast to the bride and groom. Is Michael on bass, with his back to DLR? Wonder which songs they played that night?
    "I decided I was gonna make Keith Richards look like a freakin' boy scout."
    -David Lee Roth-

I know the law, friend.

This picture of Alex doing his “Toad" inspired drum solo was taken around 1972 somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley. It looks to me like the band - called Mammoth at this point - was playing at the back of a high school, probably in Pasadena or Altadena.

There’s a few things worthy of note. First, Alex is wearing a Pendleton shirt. Along with a pair of jeans, this was the band’s general stage attire: street clothes. They lacked stage costumes. That would come later after Roth joined.

Second, there’s a wha-wah pedal there in the foreground. This was Eddie’s sole guitar effect at this point, a product of his love for Clapton, no doubt.

Finally, if you look in the background, you’ll see a Wurlitzer keyboard on top of an organ. The band’s sets were heavy with Deep Purple and Santana songs when they had a keyboardist. The keyboard player, incidentally, is in the photo.

Mammoth was a four piece at this point, with the keyboard player, bassist Mark Stone and the Van Halen brothers comprising the lineup.

The addition of Roth would transform nearly all these aspects of this band, as Van Halen Rising will demonstrate.

You can check out more pictures like this in Elizabeth Wiley’s excellent Van Halen photo book, which is available on Amazon.

Young Van Halens

Photograph was taken in the living room of the Van Halen home at 1881 Las Lunas in Pasadena circa 1972. Eddie’s got his Gold Top Les Paul serial # 539381 purchased on 15 August 1969 at Music For Everyone in Sierre Madre, Ca. Looks like he’s already modified the guitar by removing the pickup covers.

This phenomenal film, shot at the Whisky in Hollywood in late 1977, provides a perfect way to open Van Halen Rising for business. Note that while those interviewed are part of the Punk/New Wave movement that most record industry observers thought would be the future of popular music, the first thirty seconds of the film shows that hard rock was far from dead. A billboard looms over the Strip for perhaps the greatest album of Aerosmith’s heroin-and-cocaine-years, Draw the Line. And the name of an local band from Pasadena that had been signed to Warner Bros. Records in the previous months, Van Halen, has its name up on lights in the Whisky marquee.

At the 54 second mark, scenester and KROQ DJ Rodney Bingenheimer introduces the Germs, one of the more notorious and arguably less talented of the LA punk bands and goes on to sing the praises of the city’s burgeoning Punk and New Wave scene.

Nonetheless, Bingenheimer championed all kinds of LA music, including an unknown hard rock band named Van Halen. In fact, in 1976 he played a key role in helping the band work its way up the ladder from one of the lesser clubs on the Strip, Gazzarri’s, to a higher profile gig at the infamous Starwood.

At the 1:50 mark, a less than enthused Joan Jett of the Runways appears. I have to wonder if she was cut out of the film because her lack of interest in talking on camera made the footage impossible to use.

Watch it all. It’s a fantastic piece of celluloid which documents the ways in which the LA Punk and New Wave movement rubbed up against the “industry," or bands signed to major labels, like Aerosmith and Van Halen, in the late 1970s.
    -David Lee Roth-

I know the law, friend.
    Click here for a little preview of the Elizabeth Wiley book: http://www.amazon.com/Could-This-Be-...der_1466929294

Includes a cool cover shot, similar to that backyard party shot of Alex above, but there's a side/back shot of Eddie in this one too. Also, there's some interesting info in the preface of the book, including a little tidbit about how she's mentioned in the special thanks of the first VH album cover.
    -David Lee Roth-

Coolest shit ever, Cowboy!

Look at Eddie playing the TV Yellow Johnny Thunders guitar, at Mike's wedding.
    And those brothers still looked badass in 1972, with Ed's goldtop.

The video clip sounds very interesting, gotta watch that one!

Yours truly, As Is
    Great photos, especially Al doing his solo in a schoolyard! Cant imagine how cool it would've been to see the Brothers playing back in those days.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Love ya moms......
    Yes it was salina Kansas......
    Jessh they used to play everywhere and then some...
    August 22, 1980 Kansas City, Missouri United States Kemper Arena
    August 23, 1980 Omaha, Nebraska Omaha Civic Auditorium
    August 24, 1980 Salina, Kansas Bicentennial Center
    August 26, 1980 Corpus Christi, Texas Memorial Coliseum
    August 27, 1980 San Antonio, Texas Freeman Coliseum
    August 28, 1980 Houston, Texas Sam Houston Coliseum
    August 29, 1980 Shreveport, Louisiana Hirsch Memorial Coliseum
    August 30, 1980 Baton Rouge, Louisiana Riverside Centroplex
    September 1, 1980 Mobile, Alabama Civic Center Arena
    September 2, 1980 Jackson, Mississippi Mississippi Coliseum
    September 3, 1980 Beaumont, Texas Fair Park Coliseum
    September 4, 1980 Dallas, Texas Reunion Arena
    September 6, 1980 Norman, Oklahoma Owen Field
    September 7, 1980 Amarillo, Texas Amarillo Civic Center

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_I...e_Tour%22_Tour
    Looks like they played 7 different places just in Texas!

very nice pics btw,,,,,,thanks!

main squeeze
    Incredible find.

Thanks for sharing.

Makes you wonder who runs the tumblr and how they have all of this cool stuff...

I know the law, friend.
    I'm not completely sure how they work, but different people contribute media to it......so you can check out their individual stuff as well.
    Here's the link: http://vanhalenrising.tumblr.com/
    -David Lee Roth-

Giving Dave A Break
    Cool pics.

I'm not sure what it is, but something is going on. The guy that has that youtube channel I posted stuff from recently put this up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjisbrw0ThE and he references the bands official site - must have some connection with the band, which makes me think his stuff is legit. There's some new VH news blowing in the wind people, and it's coming early next week. Keep your ears and eyes open!

Giving Dave A Break
    Seen this pic before in a book, so many great players and it just stinks of rock star cred!