Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Favorite Song off of Fair Warning. - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Git some!
    Unchained, then Mean Street.

Unchained is their calling card as a band, IMO.
    Ready, Eddie!

Ed Head
    VADER has my thoughts exactly.

If I could only have 1 song....I pick Hear About It Later

Groupie
    Tie between Mean Streets and So this is love.

Unchained

The pure anger behind that riff is just amazing. It's like, all of the turmoil in the band was opitimized in that one song, from Dave singing, to Eddie's guitar work, to Mikes driving bass line, to Al's best work since Outta Love Again. That song totally kicks ass.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" - Spock

Like Mike
    Fair Warning is an awesome album, but it loses points for "One Foot Out The Door", it makes the album dated.....the first two albums, are and always will be timeless, no tracks that get old on those 2 albums, but on Fair Warning, "One Foot Out The Door" just wrecks it....I never cared for keyboard tracks, and i won't now. Although I like "Sunday Afternoon at the Park", it also date the album...
    I never really likes "So This Is Love" either, i just don't like...

The first 5 tracks are outstanding...Sinners Swing used to be my favourite, but I'd have to go with Hear ABout It Later as my favourite, it's just so god-damn different.
    Closely followed by Unchained (ofcourse), and Push Comes To Shove....I never really cared for it, until i fully listened to it, and now im intrueged by it..

Permanent vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Push Comes To Shove....I never really cared for it, until i fully listened to it, and now im intrueged by it..
    I actually think that's got the best solo on the album. One of my favourite Ed solos.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

THEE bassist for VH
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfreak View Post
    I actually think that's got the best solo on the album. One of my favourite Ed solos.
    That is probably his most tasteful solo that he ever did. However, the rest of the song is kinda blah. As far as So This Is Love goes, I do like it. You would have to realize that Van Halen always included their lady fans into each album in some way. That one was for them. It too, has a cool solo.

No cheer******s allowed!
    The solo to "So this is love" is probablly Ed's best to date.

He opens with this speedy rockabilly lick, ending with a doublestop, but he's playing it through some serious gain.

His phrasing is just so loose, yet also right on the money.
    From there he goes into a Holdsworthian sort of slippery lick, then he descends with a crazy legato lick, that is one of my favorites.

His bends on this particular lead are just so expressive, as he's alternating between whole step bends, half step bends, overbends...

These are the types of solos that make Edward sound unlike anyone, and there's not a tapped note in there, to boot!

"So this is Love" sounds off the cuff & improvised (love his live take on this one, just as much).

"Push" is a great lead, but it sounds very worked-out & rigid.

Dance Baby!
    Wow, One Foot Out The Door is dated? I've never heard that one before. Dated when? I've never heard a song like that before. IMO, Ed's sole/outro is Ed at his best.

Dated?
    Daniel (1994-2013)

No cheer******s allowed!
    I agree, Punk.

That outro solo is just frantic (love the funky doublestops in the fade-out).

'One foot out the Door' has a very cool Roth performance, as well.
    I like when he says, "That son of a bitch..." Dave sounds fucking pissed.

But, man, that solo is pretty sick!
    There's a portion of it where he sounds like he's tapping two notes at a time, in descending fashion.
    That part is pretty terrifying!