Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
VHND: Noel Monk Book.
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    Band Manager

VHND: Noel Monk Book.

Oh yeah!
    This has the potential to be the best VH book ever!
    I hope Monk pulls no punches, and we get the real lowdown on VH's road war stories.. Surely, we will get some insight into the backstage politics, and antics the guys got into. I recall that Monk was fired just before the split was announced, and EVH said something like "now we will have a real manager, not a guy who just listens to Dave".

http://www.vhnd.com/2017/05/17/noel-monk-book/
    Last edited by 1234over; May 18th, 2017 at 04:11 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager
    I expect that this book will only add more weight to the notion that "Van Halen" was really "David Lee Roth, featuring the Van Halen Brothers".
    Last edited by 1234over; June 2nd, 2017 at 04:34 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager
    Halfway through...

So far, it's the perfect follow up to the Van Halen Rising book, and much better written. You can tell that Monk had a role in developing the "Van Halen Attitude" that the band displayed. It brings back the vibe I had when I first listened to and read about the band, with the feeling that they were actually friends, carving out a piece of rock and roll history for themselves, and enjoying it immensely. As opposed to guys that merely tolerated each other, and were never friendly.

This is the story that fits the tour books I gazed at for hours, and the interviews I read and listened to.

*I have seen criticism for Monk mentioning that "you had to be there", and it being directed at Greg Renoff. I agree with Monk (if that is indeed what he is insinuating). When I read Rising, there was always the feeling that he had really only started listening to them when "1984" came out. To really have a proper perspective on the history of the band from a fan's point of view, you had to have been a bit older, and gotten on the Van Halen Train at the first stop, the debut (which isn't when I got there. I missed out). They were a product of their times, and someone who was at least 16 when the debut came out, would have really lived through it with the band (as a fan).

Approaching the band from the MTV-era Van Halen that produced 1984, is akin to learning about The Beatles (or the Rolling Stones) in 1969, and trying to relate to the 1964 moptops....everything had changed, and living through those changes and the culture around it, with the band as your soundtrack is pretty big part of understanding the impact.

I'm very happy that Renoff wrote "Rising", though. And he did about as well as a guy could, with what he had available.

This Monk book is at a whole other level, with intimate knowledge coming from someone who they respected, sought counsel from, and planned their career with.
    Last edited by 1234over; June 16th, 2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: fun

Band Manager
    Knowing what I now know about these guys, this video makes me feel even worse than it used to.

At 8:00, it's "Tell me about the guy to your right"... at 10:30 it really gets rich.

Last edited by 1234over; June 18th, 2017 at 12:22 PM.

Metal Up Your A$$!

Thumbs up

I'm still waiting to get this book on my hands!!!!!!!!!
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC