Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Predictions: Will VH make it through this tour? - Page 7
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Like Mike
    Van Halen not being the music for today is such a cop out excuse. AC/DC still sell out tours. 13 by Sabbath went number 1 pretty much worldwide.

Van Halen does nothing to promote its prior greatness and doesn't have the same legacy to the masses as other great rock bands of the past. They brought that onto themselves. No press surrounding a new studio album.. No vintage releases... What do you expect? They brought it onto themselves.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever get to see them live. I'm bummed, but it is what it is.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Van Halen not being the music for today is such a cop out excuse. AC/DC still sell out tours. 13 by Sabbath went number 1 pretty much worldwide.

Van Halen does nothing to promote its prior greatness and doesn't have the same legacy to the masses as other great rock bands of the past. They brought that onto themselves. No press surrounding a new studio album.. No vintage releases... What do you expect? They brought it onto themselves.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever get to see them live. I'm bummed, but it is what it is.
    Are you still in the US, Jack?
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Are you still in the US, Jack?
    I'm in Australia for the "summer". But I'll be back mid-August.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    It's funny i was listening to a Gene Simmons interview from 1976, and it's all very 70's-esque, with
    the interviewer sounding like he was from ABC television (The shock rock group KISS, lead by a tongue wagging
    demon that some are concerned worships the devil.)

But at one point Gene says: We wanted to give our fans a show. A real show. Because at 11 dollars,
    tickets are expensive & kids can't afford to pay for something unless it's a huge spectacle."

Today, it's like 200-300 bucks for the experience per person, with an old, grey band on stage.

AC/DC tickets are selling out everywhere, yet Angus looks about 70 years old!
    Plus, no Malcom or Phil.

Who wants to shell out big bucks for that?
    Rock is in danger of becoming a niche genre like Jazz when the few arena/shed headliners that are still around retire. Can you name any band that made their debut this century that can headline arenas/sheds in America ? The best a rock band might be able to fill in the near future is the 4-5k theaters.

I spent the most I have ever spent on a ticket for the 2008 tour and it was amazing. I paid half that price for the seats I got in 2012 and it was horrible Roth was so bad as tight as the band was that couldn't even make up for it, and this year I am leaning towards not going at all because I can't see it being better and I have to go through too much with arranging time off etc to go to the show. If it lines up where I am free I might go but it doesn't look like I will be going and what will I miss anyway they are going to do the same hits set they have done the past two tours and maybe throw a bone or 2 of deep cuts in just to make most diehards happy.

Like Mike
    Rock IS the new Jazz. Jazz used to be the most popular and influential form of music in America, and then it descended into the underground. The same is happening with Rock. Eventually, the same will happen with Hip Hop. It's a cycle.

Heck, it's already happening to Hip Hop. The king of the game right now is Kendrick, who is loved for being a humble good guy whose house is only 600k. Soon the faces of hip hop will be regular Joes as opposed to someone with a big head like Kanye. Much like now rock is represented by the likes of Dave Grohl and the Arctic Monkeys, as opposed to Dave or Ozzy.

Yours truly, As Is
    I don't know why people keep insisting the last two tours had the same setlist. The sets were different by atleast 6-8 songs, and it was that way the whole tour. That's a third of the show being different, and since we're dealing with an arena headliner with a bunch of hits, not sure what exactly people expect. If you expect VH to do an entire set of Loss Of Control, DOA, DDL etc than don't expect them to play arenas for the masses.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

No cheer******s allowed!
    I hate the Foo's & the monkeys....

That shit ain't rock 'n roll.
    It's musical fast food for the masses, disguised as rock.

I grew up on AC/DC, Aerosmith, VH, Maiden....

Those guys looked & sounded like rock stars.
    The shows were attended by burnouts & slutty chicks.
    There was no "hipster" sub context to the rock, no irony.
    It just was.
    It just rocked.

Rock truly is dead.

And with that line, as i type this, a song just came on my college radio station
    that sounded like Type O Negative.

A song i'd never heard.
    Incredible song.

I looked up the playlist & it is, Type O from "October Rust."

My God, Pete Steele....

Now THAT GUY was the anti-Dave Grohl.
    He rocked.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post

I'm talking from a new record standpoint. In the end, worldwide, Sabbath sold as much as ADKOT did after one year. A million aint bad, but it's not the three or four million in one year it used to be.

VH could promote a new record from earth to the moon, but if it doesn't have an Unchained or a Cradle on it, something great, it's not gonna sell a ton. And honestly, even if it did, I'm not sure it would matter that much. They have to capture a teen audience to do that, and the rock bands they listen to don't consist of sixty year old dudes.

VH hasn't been the music of the day since the Hagar days. By the late 90's rock music changed even from the Nirvana Pearl Jam stuff. In the next seventeen it changed even more... into Five Finger Death Punch and Alter Bridge. VH is not a high priority for todays youth.

Sure, VH is an iconic band, like Sabbath, AC/DC, they're gonna be a popular concert ticket (mainly cuz us, the forty year olds are buying them), but the days of making big selling records ended decades ago. It's a young man's game. No promotion can change that.

Band Manager
    I don't like any hard rock bands from this millennium, but I do like the alternative rock bands. Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, Joy Formidable, Vintage Trouble...some good stuff. A lot of others have songs I like. Some are really good musicians. It's not the guitar driven rock everyone loves but some of it is pretty good.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    I'm talking from a new record standpoint. In the end, worldwide, Sabbath sold as much as ADKOT did after one year. A million aint bad, but it's not the three or four million in one year it used to be.
    But that's because record sales in general have been going down majorly on a year to year basis. The decline has been very steep.