Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by RyFi View Post
    Are ticket sales weak? No kidding the whole ticket purchase process is a total scam. I do fine and can afford tix, but seriously a semi-decent seat is a low/mid level car payment. I'll still go but when you price it of the range of the masses don't be bummed when the shed 3/4 full. It's just people will opt not to go when faced with coughing up $300-500 for tix when they have lives, kids, camps, summer vacations and pay for sports leagues to pry lathargic kids away from Call of Duty 8 or whatever. Sorry, I don't known where that mindless word-drool was going, but I'm going regardless and want to be punched in the face with a kick ass VH set.
    It's kind of ironic.
    I finally make a decent salary where I own a home and a car - took nearly 50 years to get here - so I can afford tickets if I wanted to.
    But, I will not pay some $300.00
    No way.
    I'd do it, say for a front row if Zeppelin got back together or some one off last chance in a lifetime thing like that.
    But I won't do it for other bands. Bands that I may have seen in their prime when they were better anyway.
    Arguably, VH falls into that see them now before you can't, last chance category.
    But, being I've seen the last two tours I've got ne pressing need to shell out big bucks.

Yours truly, As Is
    My girlfriend and I scored 10th row from the stage, Ed's side seats for $180 each after all the fees for the Ridgefield show July 7th. I was amazed when those came up. We paid the same for opening night in Auburn. Those are only 100 level, but we are dead center and will have a great view of the stage. I'm excited that it will be the first two shows and I won't have a clue what the setlist will be!
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Groupie
    Nice guys I feel both of you and I'm gonna go and I gonna by tix sometime next week for 8/1 show in Mass. I've seen them a bunch (5150 & OU812) then the VHIII shows and FINALLY w/ Roth about 6 shows (3 each) on the '08 & '12 tours in the Northeast. I think I try and get the best possible/available this time around. Y'know hemmorage $$$ and work like Santa's lil elf to recoup.

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    My girlfriend and I scored 10th row from the stage, Ed's side seats for $180 each after all the fees for the Ridgefield show July 7th. I was amazed when those came up. We paid the same for opening night in Auburn. Those are only 100 level, but we are dead center and will have a great view of the stage. I'm excited that it will be the first two shows and I won't have a clue what the setlist will be!
    You get to see opening night, coming up soon!!

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    I have to admit after the Billboard interview and soft ticket sales, even my optimism was waning. But, with my two shows coming in two weeks, Dave walking around Beverly Hills looking relaxed and fit, Wolf continuing to post pics on Instagram, and VH added as a headliner at a festival in Georgia in September, I'm feeling that this is not the end.

I still get the feeling that the competition and tension between Dave and Ed pushes them to want to one up each other. In a weird way, I think they almost like needling each other through the press.

Thankfully, I think it's all but certain that Sam will never weasel his way back into the band. I don't see Ed ever taking the time and effort to go out without Wolf and Sam won't do it without Mike.

Definitely not the end. Especially, before they're about to make millions. Ya end it after you get the millions, if needed.

It was all blown out, I think. Most pavilions will be sold, the billboard thing wasn't the end of the world. Nothing to break up the band about. These guys don't have many more tours left. I would hope it would take more than "act your age" to end it, at this point.
    Figuring out how to make a record can be achieved as well. Without having to disband. They did it once.

Band Manager
    Sadly, ADKOT never had a chance. VH is just not the music of the day anymore. That, and there wasn't any hits. To get the other songs played you have to have hits. Some great songs on the record, but no Panama's, or Cradles. Even with massive promotion or giving it away for free, like U2 did, it still wouldn't of had a chance. It would've sold a bit more, but that's it.

No cheer******s allowed!
    It's funny i was listening to a Gene Simmons interview from 1976, and it's all very 70's-esque, with
    the interviewer sounding like he was from ABC television (The shock rock group KISS, lead by a tongue wagging
    demon that some are concerned worships the devil.)

But at one point Gene says: We wanted to give our fans a show. A real show. Because at 11 dollars,
    tickets are expensive & kids can't afford to pay for something unless it's a huge spectacle."

Today, it's like 200-300 bucks for the experience per person, with an old, grey band on stage.

AC/DC tickets are selling out everywhere, yet Angus looks about 70 years old!
    Plus, no Malcom or Phil.

Who wants to shell out big bucks for that?

Band Manager
    It's nuts! Of course, he would justify now by the fact you get to meet the band.
    Funny how VH is the only one not doing the meet and greet. Figures.

These iconic bands can still sell. Partly because of the hits, partly because you have a lot of rich people nowadays that can afford it, and partly cuz there's nothing else. It's sad how there's nobody left to carry rock.
    They better enjoy it while they can, cuz once VH, Springsteen, U2 and others are gone (which will be soon) they'll have to jack up all the tickets for the rap, country and pop acts.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Sadly, ADKOT never had a chance. VH is just not the music of the day anymore. That, and there wasn't any hits. To get the other songs played you have to have hits. Some great songs on the record, but no Panama's, or Cradles. Even with massive promotion or giving it away for free, like U2 did, it still wouldn't of had a chance. It would've sold a bit more, but that's it.
    I get what your saying to a point. Yes, no pop hits or radio play. But, it was still one of the top 2 or 3 selling rock albums of 2012 and one of the top 50 across the board. Not too shabby for dinosaur big rock, and they didn't promote themselves doing tv the way they're doing it this time around.

But, yeah sadly, rock seems to be dying a slow death as a popular music genre. I hope they don't go the way of the big bands back in the 60s and 70s, but it's not looking good for the future.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    It's funny i was listening to a Gene Simmons interview from 1976, and it's all very 70's-esque, with
    the interviewer sounding like he was from ABC television (The shock rock group KISS, lead by a tongue wagging
    demon that some are concerned worships the devil.)

But at one point Gene says: We wanted to give our fans a show. A real show. Because at 11 dollars,
    tickets are expensive & kids can't afford to pay for something unless it's a huge spectacle."

Today, it's like 200-300 bucks for the experience per person, with an old, grey band on stage.

AC/DC tickets are selling out everywhere, yet Angus looks about 70 years old!
    Plus, no Malcom or Phil.

Who wants to shell out big bucks for that?
    It's amazing people will pay for that. I love ACDC, but c'mon! Equally amazing is how, unlike Dave, Brian Johnson seems to get a complete free pass for vocals that are a million times worse than Dave has ever thought of being. Oh well, they've done the same album over and over, never really experimented with changing their style musically so as not to alienate any of their fanbase, and they cultivated that fanbase expertly by being a global band all these years.