Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Misinformed Teacher says Eddie wasn't Innovative
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    Like Mike

Misinformed Teacher says Eddie wasn't Innovative

Jesus Christ...

So I took phony classes this year just to stay eligible to play basketball for the year. One of them is History of Rock.

We were on to the late 70s last lesson, and to my delight watched a clip of RWTD from the US Fest. Then the teacher stops it and goes on about how Dave had a great voice, but asks the class if they think Eddie was a great guitar player... He was baiting them to say no. I said yes straight away.

Long story short, this guy tried to say that Eddie was a good guitarist, but not innovative!! He said that the guys who took guitar somewhere were in the late 60s like Hendrix, Page and Clapton (he has a serious hard on for Clapton). I said that Eddie blew guitar out of the water with the debut, and introduced new techniques on each album. When he asked what techniques, I was listing them by album and got to VH2 when I mentioned tapped harmonics.. He said that Hendrix was doing tapped harmonics at Woodstock!! Hahahahaha what the fuck!?

I told him to google it on the screen, but he wouldn't. I'm still appalled. I said he can keep teaching lies. I don't wanna go back, but I have to.

My word....

Band Manager
    I'd want to choke that teacher!

Edward was what those other guitar players were.
    An innovator.
    He changed the game.
    Hell, he revolutionized rock guitar and got thousands of kids to start playing.

Love ya moms......
    Hendrix, Page and Jeff Beck were all more innovative than Clapton by far. You should tell the teacher that he can bring his top 5 Clapton tracks and you can take Eruption/Spanish Fly/Intro to Fools/Cathedral and Mean Street intro, then let the class decide....im positive who the winner would be.
    I remember when EVH was starting to gain attention around 79 or so and I saw a interview with Clapton and he said something to the effect of "Im not really impressed with his playing, it sounds like a bunch of rubber bands". Are you sure your teacher isn't Eric Clapton?

Groupie
    Ed most likely did his girlfriend in the late '70's and he's jilted.

Meh thar professor is an ass. I LOVE Hendrix, Page and Beck. To be honest I think Clapton is a bore. Great player, but snooze fest city. Cream was awesome. Real awesome, but Blues to me is just boring. Just my opinion. It's formulated and predictable you know what I mean? I understand feel and it's relation to the blues and it's 12 bars and the I IV V rock pattern....NEXT.

EVH has major feel, always has. Basically what EVH is is a first generation player that evolved from the first wave of Rock 'N Roll. He took what he heard, had access to musically at that time (late '60's/early-mid '70's) and absorbed it, put his inherent genius into his playing and changed the way electric guitar has been played, looked and thought of ever since. Think of Kobe Bryant and how he's a first generation Michael Jordan clone (that's my analogy in essence). Not innovative??? Explain the Smithsonian honor.

Hendrix and Edward Van Halen cast the longest shadow in Electric Guitar...sure we can list so many more players who we all love, but if you really understand popular music post 1965 it's kinda of a no-brainer.

Want to hear feel...check out John Frusciante's guitar solo from BSSM's "I Could Have Lied". That's feel...he was 21. A similar age as Edward was when his first started slaying on the guitar.

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyFi View Post

Meh thar professor is an ass. I LOVE Hendrix, Page and Beck. To be honest I think Clapton is a bore. Great player, but snooze fest city. Cream was awesome. Real awesome, but Blues to me is just boring. Just my opinion. It's formulated and predictable you know what I mean? I understand feel and it's relation to the blues and it's 12 bars and the I IV V rock pattern....NEXT.

EVH has major feel, always has. Basically what EVH is is a first generation player that evolved from the first wave of Rock 'N Roll. He took what he heard, had access to musically at that time (late '60's/early-mid '70's) and absorbed it, put his inherent genius into his playing and changed the way electric guitar has been played, looked and thought of ever since. Think of Kobe Bryant and how he's a first generation Michael Jordan clone (that's my analogy in essence). Not innovative??? Explain the Smithsonian honor.

Hendrix and Edward Van Halen cast the longest shadow in Electric Guitar...sure we can list so many more players who we all love, but if you really understand popular music post 1965 it's kinda of a no-brainer.

Want to hear feel...check out John Frusciante's guitar solo from BSSM's "I Could Have Lied". That's feel...he was 21. A similar age as Edward was when his first started slaying on the guitar.
    Well put. And god I've always loved "I Could Have Lied."
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Band Manager
    LOL. Believe it or not I've had many conversations ,just like this, over the years. Very few of them could ever list me any of Hendrix's, Beck's, Page's, or whoever we were discussing, innovations. They all had no clue as to what Ed has really dun, playing wise. They cant see past Eruption. Ed is so much more than that. There's never been anyone as innovative as him.

None had a clue about how he changed the guitar industry period! Guitars, pickups, bridges, amps.....sound, tone....there's nothing he didn't innovate. He's miles ahead of those guys. He's on the level with Leo and Les in that regard ,as well. Nobody else can say that.

Hopefully, as this class goes on, and you get to other subjects, you can have some fun in this class, Jack.
    I here ya, right now it would be difficult.
    Last edited by PrideofPasadena; April 30th, 2015 at 01:16 AM.

Love ya moms......
    How many guitarists came out post Edward with a Strat style guitar, unique paint job, Floyd rose. Countless.

Like Mike
    We only have a week or so left of the class.

I submitted him my homework via email and apologized for my outburst, but gave him a list of tracks to check out. He kept me back after class today and told me not to stop challenging him, and that he sees things from a certain perspective and sometimes he needs someone to show him another. I think he checked out the tracks and realised he was wrong, but didn't want to admit it.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by RyFi View Post

So we have another hooper and someone who referenced possibly my favourite RHCP track and Frusciante moment. I think you just became my favourite poster.

Kobe was a Jordan clone, but didn't really take what Jordan did any further. I wouldn't compare Eddie to Kobe in terms of guitar.

Groupie
    All love here vhfanjack. Hendrix was super innovative. Totally awesome...one the first to chain pedals together and te recording techinques (stereo panning and utilzation of reverse guitar are amazing) and I know the Beatles did the reverse thing prior but this isn't Rock 101. Edward is also on that mad scientist level and just the way he thought of the sounds he could unleash w/ a guitar, amp, a few effects and his fingers is stagering. I mean show the professor just the "Elphant sound and Horse nah" vid from the 5150 warm footage. I can do some crazy weird stuff on the guitar sometimes (when it clicks it clicks), but I would've never imagined it conceivable to be like hey I'm gonna hit some harmonics, roll up my volume knob and manipulate my whammy bar and I can replicate and Elephant. That alone, but Ed is jaw dropper. His rhythm playing ALONE is something to study. Great ear candy.

At the end of the day, it's all about the playing and guitarist who push the envelope and make people experience some feelings through their creation and manipulation of sound. I just love music and I lean heavy towards a guitar players, tone and feel. All a musicians job really is is to make people feel good through their music. Great gig if you have the talent, drive and wherewithall to make an honest living with it.

The hoops (Jordan/Kobe) analogy was just something to tie into innovation and how it can inspire future generations of people to try to do something to move things forward.

Your professor actually seemed to realize this when you chatted after so that's. Sometimes ones ego can not let a person see things for what it really is.

Damn back to work.