Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Once and for all - no one cares what you think Sammy!!! - Page 4
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41
  1. #31
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Hey, i like a lot of those old Manilow tunes.

    He even did a cover of VH's, "Could this be magic?" .
    Ha you got me hoodwinked there.

    I looked it up thinking it was for real I didn't know about his tune with the same title.

    Ran across this though it turns out he's a VH fan too. Lol.


    http://929jackfm.com/the-biggest-van...barry-manilow/





    The Biggest Van Halen Fan?: Barry Manilow
    by John October 19, 2013 12:17 PM
    Share Article on Facebook
    Share Article on Twitter
    Aa


    One doesn’t think of Barry Manilow when you hear the name Van Halen, but maybe we should.

    Barry Manilow was a Van Halen fan before many of us had even heard their debut.

    Why?, because unlike most of us, Barry was listening to Van Halen in the bars of L.A. before they got signed.

    Barry played in New York City before he made it big, but once he became a star, he spent a lot of time in L.A. in the mid to late late 70′s.

    On one his his many nights on the town, Barry witnessed a young Eddie Van Halen playing the scene.

    Barry knew this kid was going to be a star and he still listens to Van Halen to this day.

    He even included a Manilow version of ‘Jump’ into some of his Vegas shows.

    Let’s just hope he doesn’t do his version of “Atomic Punk’ anytime soon.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; April 21st, 2015 at 12:30 AM.

  2. #32
    Groupie
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    1978 Texxas Jam
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The Biggest Van Halen Fan?: Barry Manilow

    Barry played in New York City before he made it big, but once he became a star, he spent a lot of time in L.A. in the mid to late late 70′s.

    On one his his many nights on the town, Barry witnessed a young Eddie Van Halen playing the scene.

    Barry knew this kid was going to be a star and he still listens to Van Halen to this day.

    He even included a Manilow version of ‘Jump’ into some of his Vegas shows.

    Let’s just hope he doesn’t do his version of “Atomic Punk’ anytime soon.
    We'll leave to to his rough-faced "brother" -- Alice Cooper ..

    Somebody said . . . "Fair warning" ? ? ?

  3. #33
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,129
    Maybe Manilow could front Van Halen.
    It wouldn't be much more odd the current iteration of Dave.

  4. #34
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Ha you got me hoodwinked there.

    I looked it up thinking it was for real I didn't know about his tune with the same title.

    Ran across this though it turns out he's a VH fan too. Lol.


    http://929jackfm.com/the-biggest-van...barry-manilow/





    The Biggest Van Halen Fan?: Barry Manilow
    by John October 19, 2013 12:17 PM
    Share Article on Facebook
    Share Article on Twitter
    Aa


    One doesn’t think of Barry Manilow when you hear the name Van Halen, but maybe we should.

    Barry Manilow was a Van Halen fan before many of us had even heard their debut.

    Why?, because unlike most of us, Barry was listening to Van Halen in the bars of L.A. before they got signed.

    Barry played in New York City before he made it big, but once he became a star, he spent a lot of time in L.A. in the mid to late late 70′s.

    On one his his many nights on the town, Barry witnessed a young Eddie Van Halen playing the scene.

    Barry knew this kid was going to be a star and he still listens to Van Halen to this day.

    He even included a Manilow version of ‘Jump’ into some of his Vegas shows.

    Let’s just hope he doesn’t do his version of “Atomic Punk’ anytime soon.
    Haha, you took the bait!

    I was stocking some Manilow CD's on day at work, and saw that
    track "Could this be magic?"

    Immediately, i pretended it was a Van Halen cover.

  5. #35
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Haha, you took the bait!

    I was stocking some Manilow CD's on day at work, and saw that
    track "Could this be magic?"

    Immediately, i pretended it was a Van Halen cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    Maybe Manilow could front Van Halen.
    It wouldn't be much more odd the current iteration of Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    We'll leave to to his rough-faced "brother" -- Alice Cooper ..




    Last edited by Heisenberg; April 22nd, 2015 at 12:32 AM.

  6. #36
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post



    ^^^
    Now, that's funny!
    I didn't realize just how similar when I made my comment.
    Manilow's still got the pipes too.

  7. #37
    Roadie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Posts
    407
    Is that pic of Manilow during his rendition of "Unchained"??

  8. #38
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Haha, you took the bait!

    I was stocking some Manilow CD's on day at work, and saw that
    track "Could this be magic?"

    Immediately, i pretended it was a Van Halen cover.
    You had me. Sounds like a tune Barry would do. Barry just dropped a notch in my book.

  9. #39
    Roadie
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by punkatomic View Post
    Sammy, just thank Van Halen and shut up already!

    A "very astute business man"? Bullshit, Sammy Hagar is an opportunist. Nothing more, nothing less. Before Van Halen, The red rocker might have afforded a Subway franchise store. Without Van Halen, Sammy would be the answer of a rock triva question. Name one lead singer for Montrose? Without Montrose, Sammy Hagar would be punch drunk today from the ass kicking he got as a boxer.

    Sammy has as much talent as a dog that is semi-house broken.

    "Oh! Look he peed on the paper! Good boy!"

    It works for him. It's who he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I really think his business acumen is overrated. Yes, he has translated his celebrity into big bux, but I'm not sure if it's him, or just having good management. He seems to be following the Jimmy Buffet blueprint. Is it his brilliance, or is he just the face for others doing the work? I also think he has a "rock and roll Walmart" fanbase...the kind of schmucks that buy hot-sauce because it has a rockstar's name on it. I couldn't imagine basing a Mexican vacation around going to Sammy Hagars Cabo Wabo, but there are people that schmucky, and those are the people giving Sammy their dollars.

    I also wonder how much cocaine has been moved down at the Cabo Wabo Cantina? That seemed to be where he made the leap into big bux. AFter that, he had plenty of money to play with, investment-wise.


    I may be wrong, but it seems like only after Hags made the big bux, that EVH suddenly became very money conscious. I wonder if Hags success was a big motivator? EVH was the guy who worked on "Beat It" for free, and his image was "all about the music". After Cabo, he cut out Mike, and became way more money conscious. Now he is EVH the Entrepreneur...I really don't think EVH suddenly became this great businessman, I think he hooked up with people (like Hagar probably did) to give him direction, business wise. Now he is a "brand".

    I
    Kinda seems like the Cabo venture was the start of the end. I've never read too much into it.. Didn't Ed/Al/Mike sell their interest by 1994 or so? Or did Mike stay in? Don't know but seems like it obviously took off big time, and probably pissed off Ed in some ways. And Ed always had a problem with members using the band to promote their shit, bagged on Mike's hot sauce, etc..

    Sam has made big $$$ no doubt.. but he also is just a walking billboard hocking his shit. I think he must have a closet full of Beach Bum Rum shirts that he wears every day. Then before was always Cabo Cabo Cabo. Then of course the one I just don't get, Red Rocker...so silly.

  10. #40
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    Kinda seems like the Cabo venture was the start of the end. I've never read too much into it.. Didn't Ed/Al/Mike sell their interest by 1994 or so? Or did Mike stay in? Don't know but seems like it obviously took off big time, and probably pissed off Ed in some ways. And Ed always had a problem with members using the band to promote their shit, bagged on Mike's hot sauce, etc..

    Sam has made big $$$ no doubt.. but he also is just a walking billboard hocking his shit. I think he must have a closet full of Beach Bum Rum shirts that he wears every day. Then before was always Cabo Cabo Cabo. Then of course the one I just don't get, Red Rocker...so silly.
    I noticed in his book that Hagar took credit for putting Cabo on the map, saying it was just a crappy, nowhere beach town, that was transformed with the help of the Cabo Wabo. I don't know much about the place, but I do know that Cabo must have already had some celebrity action going on before he opened the Cabo Wabo, because Keith Richards married Patty Hansen there in 1983. That's exactly the kind of self-aggrandizing spin that Hagar uses to embellish his achievements.

    I think the Cabo thing is a huge part of the Van Hagar story, and fortunately lead to the breakup of that band (and the reformation of Van Halen). And like I said, I can't recall EVH showing much interest in the business side of things prior to that. Though it should be mentioned that even way back, he was getting pissed about people trying to exploit him (Charvel, Seymour Duncan, Floyd Rose).
    Last edited by 1234over; May 10th, 2015 at 12:31 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. The 'No Body Cares' Thread
    By A.J. MASSEY in forum Non-VH Related Stuff
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
  2. What's with all the Sammy VH??
    By unchainedguitars in forum House of Music
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: November 10th, 2006, 03:57 PM
  3. SAMMY WANTS OUT!!
    By smorgdonkey in forum House of Music
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: October 28th, 2004, 11:23 AM
  4. I know some of you don't like Sammy
    By Prettywoman5150 in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: February 9th, 2004, 04:06 PM
  5. SAMMY WANTS OUT!!
    By in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 31st, 1969, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •