Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Ed says, He'd love to make another studio album... - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Like both of you, i also was severely bummed over the contents of "the secret project."

But, Roth was the one that got us excited over the damn thing.
    people were even finding symbolism in his youtube videos!

If Eddie did that, we'd all be crucifying him even more.
    How dare Eddie lead us on!

To Ed's credit, he said & promised nothing.

Now, Ed reports he was up for a new album, but dave was m.i.a.

Why are we still just blaming Ed?

Roth certainly has a reputation for being a bit aloof & difficult, as well.

I think Ed genuinely adores working with Wolf.
    I think, at 60, he kinda feels his purpose is to pass the torch.

Wolf is not doing a Van Halen album.
    It's reported as a solo album.

You can't still run with the, "Ed's forcing Wolf on Roth to write new VH material" theory.
    It's untrue, knowing what we know now.

Yep.........

No cheer******s allowed!
    Ed just looked to be in such a good mental & physical state, with last night's event.

We are kind of waiting for him to make a move, but i think he's comfortable where he is.
    It frustrates me, but if i were in his position, maybe i'd also just focus on what makes me happy.

Punk made a good point about Wolf never being in trouble.
    Despite Ed's history, he appears to be a very, very good parent & father.
    Watch the Ozzy documentary, all his kids are like, "We never had a dad, just a drug addict."

So maybe this is it.

We have to accept Van Halen on those terms.
    Maybe it's not even VH anymore, or only by name.

Like Mike
    None of this is good news.

So there's nothing on the horizon for the rest of the year.
    Nothing in the works whatsoever.
    No tour, album, project, etc.

Come on, you're trying to blame Dave?
    It's 2015. Can't be that difficult to get ahold of the guy if they're really trying to work.

If they have had so little communication; however, how were they able to all somehow contribute to a live project?
    This is all a bit fishy.

Anyway, this is all frustration as always.

As for Ed being frustrated by fan's demands.
    Bad luck.
    He's not a regular guy, he's an icon and a musician.
    He has a whole market to satisfy whether he likes it or not.
    I don't want to go to practice everyday, but I have to as a student athlete.
    If he doesn't want to release music or tour then he should officially retire as a musician and stop dangling the proverbial carrot in front of all of our heads.

Band Manager
    They ARE Touring this year.

Jeff already said there was NO NEW ALBUM months ago.

Anyone who thought there was a new album should've paid better attention.

Dave was in Japan for ages getting Tattoos and doing martial arts. Recording covers of Pharrel Williams songs that no one gives a shit about.

They put out a live album instead it's a good thing.

It's only been less than three years since the last album. No idea why some fans are confused.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; February 14th, 2015 at 03:02 AM.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    They ARE Touring this year.

Jeff already said there was NO NEW ALBUM months ago.

Anyone who thought there was a new album should've paid better attention.

Dave was in Japan for ages getting Tattoos and doing martial arts. Recording covers of Pharrel Williams songs that no one gives a shit about.

They put out a live album instead it's a good thing.

It's only been less than three years since the last album. No idea why some fans are confused.
    Ed said he wants to tour but doesn't know where Dave is at.

No new album is understandable, but literally no work done for anything at all in 3 years? Come on... Just confirmation that this is the secret project that all that time was being spent on. Sheesh.

A live album that no one gives a shit about...

Band Manager
    Yep. I had much bigger hopes for the secret " Great Project " too.

I'm not so sure this live album was it originally. Maybe they had a change of plans along the way. ???

I really thought it would be something that included old video footage. In Steve Kandell's 2013 article titled " The Last Great Rockstar " it was stated that Dave had been digitizing old backstage footage for the Roth Show. I thought there might be a documentary movie of some sort.

Look at the bright side....now we know what's up won't need to wonder anymore.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Like both of you, i also was severely bummed over the contents of "the secret project."

But, Roth was the one that got us excited over the damn thing.
    people were even finding symbolism in his youtube videos!

If Eddie did that, we'd all be crucifying him even more.
    How dare Eddie lead us on!

To Ed's credit, he said & promised nothing.

Now, Ed reports he was up for a new album, but dave was m.i.a.

Why are we still just blaming Ed?

Roth certainly has a reputation for being a bit aloof & difficult, as well.

I think Ed genuinely adores working with Wolf.
    I think, at 60, he kinda feels his purpose is to pass the torch.

Wolf is not doing a Van Halen album.
    It's reported as a solo album.

You can't still run with the, "Ed's forcing Wolf on Roth to write new VH material" theory.
    It's untrue, knowing what we know now.

So EVH, the guy that hasn't released new compositions in 15 years, says he wants to record a studio album, but can't find Roth, and it's a matter of timing.

That excuse sounds pretty fucking lame to me.

When he says he "wants to record", how do we know what other demands he might have made on Roth? Or demands Roth might have made, for that matter (if he is only willing to record with Mike back in the band, then it's Roth that is out of line!)

How does the fact that Wolf is recording a "solo" record prove that EVH didn't want him to write for VH?

We don't even know the timeline. Roth was saying awhile back that he doesn't really know what Ed is thinking, and that he might just want to write with Wolf. Months ago Roth may have been pressing to record, but EVH wanted to use Wolf's songs, but Roth rejected the notion, so Wolf made a solo album. I don't know, but that doesn't seem dissimilar to the kind of behavior these guys have a history of displaying.

Now EVH can say, "well, I want to record, but Dave is a no show".

Maybe ask EVH if he has actually tried calling Roth? "uhhh...I don't have his number."

I don't know why they haven't recorded, but I'm more apt to believe Roth when he says he wants to get together with EVH to write music, than I do the Ever Equivocal Eddie when he says "I want to record, but I can't find Dave". So, because he looks healthy, we should now take him for his word?

I wish someone would ask him why they haven't actually gotten together to write tunes, and what has changed since they pieced together old tunes separately for ADKoT? Though again, his statements are so broad, they don't mean much. Does he want to actually be in the same room while the writing and recording is going on?

I could be completely wrong, and the reasons could be completely different. If Roth is truly holding it back, I will be the first to say he is out of line. We will find out more eventually.

Is anyone going to put forth a reason why Roth would now not want to record?
    Last edited by 1234over; February 14th, 2015 at 05:24 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Sewing circle again. Look, it's ok to hypothesize on what's going on but don't take your perceptions or predictions or whatever seriously because in the end you have shit for evidence.
    Can't believe the buy-in for Wolfe writing the new album and Roth's against it. Sucker born every minute.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by LLEADD View Post
    Sewing circle again. Look, it's ok to hypothesize on what's going on but don't take your perceptions or predictions or whatever seriously because in the end you have shit for evidence.
    Can't believe the buy-in for Wolfe writing the new album and Roth's against it. Sucker born every minute.

Why are you stepping into the circle?

Where did I say I thought Wolf was "writing the new album"?

I'm more thinking some songs or making bigger contributions than Roth would want. I certainly could be wrong, it might not be about Wolf writing songs, but some other demand from Ed that Roth isn't willing to oblige.

I'm basing my speculations on this (a bit more than "shit for evidence").

Rolling Stone: How will this experimental energy manifest in possible new Van Halen material?

Roth: "I would certainly look forward to working with Ed on some new material, but we have yet to do that. Almost all of the music that you hear on our most recent album was written and demoed before the first album. And I would certainly look forward to writing a whole list of songs with Ed, but we haven't found the time to do that [laughs]. You hear the tone. I'm not sure what's in Ed's mind at this point. I'm gonna guess that his plans are to write with his son, and I'm not sure where that actually leads. But truth be told, Edward and I haven't written a new song in 20 years."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3RlwEUpxH "

The MOST interesting phrase is "I'm gonna guess that his plans are to write with his son, and I'm not sure where that actually leads."

Interesting that he said "we haven't found the time (laughs) You hear the tone." Then Ed say's "it's a matter of timing". Sounds to me like EVH is the guy that hasn't been able to "find the time", and Roth considers it bullshit.

Can you put forth a plausible reason why Roth wouldn't want to record a new record with them? Why should I believe EVH more than DLR?
    Last edited by 1234over; February 15th, 2015 at 11:54 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    So EVH, the guy that hasn't released new compositions in 15 years, says he wants to record a studio album, but can't find Roth, and it's a matter of timing.

That excuse sounds pretty fucking lame to me.

When he says he "wants to record", how do we know what other demands he might have made on Roth? Or demands Roth might have made, for that matter (if he is only willing to record with Mike back in the band, then it's Roth that is out of line!)

How does the fact that Wolf is recording a "solo" record prove that EVH didn't want him to write for VH?

We don't even know the timeline. Roth was saying awhile back that he doesn't really know what Ed is thinking, and that he might just want to write with Wolf. Months ago Roth may have been pressing to record, but EVH wanted to use Wolf's songs, but Roth rejected the notion, so Wolf made a solo album. I don't know, but that doesn't seem dissimilar to the kind of behavior these guys have a history of displaying.

Now EVH can say, "well, I want to record, but Dave is a no show".

Maybe ask EVH if he has actually tried calling Roth? "uhhh...I don't have his number."

I don't know why they haven't recorded, but I'm more apt to believe Roth when he says he wants to get together with EVH to write music, than I do the Ever Equivocal Eddie when he says "I want to record, but I can't find Dave". So, because he looks healthy, we should now take him for his word?

I wish someone would ask him why they haven't actually gotten together to write tunes, and what has changed since they pieced together old tunes separately for ADKoT? Though again, his statements are so broad, they don't mean much. Does he want to actually be in the same room while the writing and recording is going on?

I could be completely wrong, and the reasons could be completely different. If Roth is truly holding it back, I will be the first to say he is out of line. We will find out more eventually.

Is anyone going to put forth a reason why Roth would now not want to record?
    One reason could be that he is realizing his voice is not up to the task at hand.
    Maybe part of him is self conscious, thus the avoidance of recording new music.

You've got to understand that Ed DID record a new album a few years ago.
    Why would he be lying now, if he says he's STILL interested in recording another album?
    He did it, three years ago.

I could absolutely picture Dave being distracted & putting it all on the Van Halen's.
    Youtube videos, tattoos, solo albums that can't be released with John 5 (??), jumping onstage
    with Grohl, shaving his head, Moving to Japan, moving back to the States, strange holiday
    videos, social networking, canceling social networking....

He's all over the map.

I see Ed in one place, recording with his son.
    I see Ed calmly & graciously accepting an honor at the Smithsonian.

I don't see Ed darting about like a kid with ADD.

Regardless, i am disappointed with Ed releasing this Tokyo thing & remastering the remasters
    sans any sort of buying incentive.

He is frustrating from a fan point of view.

But i do believe Roth is being difficult, behind the scenes.