Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Van Halen Tokyo Dome Live In Concert released on March 31 2015 CONFIRMED / VERIFIED - Page 19
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.

View Poll Results: What should Van Halen do now?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Confirm or deny the live album rumors

3 17.65%
  • Nothing this is great publicity for them

14 82.35%
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Honestly, even if Roth sounded great, I wouldn't give a shit about this record. It just doesn't make sense to me. I guess we can bicker about the qualities of this record, but my heart's not in it, I just don't care. I want new music, or stuff from the vault.
    I'm with ya, man. A live record without a studio record doesn't make much sense this late in the game. With Dave like this I wouldn't even care if they stopped touring and just made records.

Given the disappointment of this "big project" it is hard to blame anyone for feeling this way. And a tour of more shitty singing may be on the way.

This record is little consolation but I'll enjoy some of it none the less.

The biggest disappointment this year has brought is the realization that the goodies we've wanted for so long, that we thought might happen once he came back, are even farther away than before. Decades away...if ever.

Band Manager
    I listened to the two songs via facebook last night.
    Beyond bad.
    Most of that falling on Dave.
    It's one thing to be at the show, having a ball - happy to see Dave & Ed together, forgiving the faults reliving old times and just having fun.
    None of that translates through audio alone.
    When you're only listening to it, you can really tell how bad it is.
    This is something that should not even be released.

Dance Baby!
    The morning radio show on the only rock station in Seattle just make a mockery of Van Halen. Dave is a joke. They dogged him after previewing the live album.

Van Halen is done!

This live album and re-release of the Classic Van Halen albums is a joke. A slap in the face.

What the fuck happened to this band?

They don't give a shit about their fans.

They don't care about their product.

Why release a Live Album with Dave, when Dave doesn't sound so good? Ed has the ear, right? Why then put this out?

IMO, it's to make Dave look bad, period.

Since 2007, not once has Dave, Eddie, Alex and or Wolf have appeared together in any media session. This isn't a band. This is a money making machine. Right now they are wringing every last cent they can out of the Dave era. It's over.

What's next?

Van Hagar v.3
    Daniel (1994-2013)

No cheer******s allowed!
    I really cannot understand any of this.

With the legacy of this band, the impact, why would they piss all over that by releasing this horrible,
    embarassing thing?

Eddie has a huge ego.
    Dave has a huge ego.
    They've conquered the world many times over.
    They are professionals.

How could either of them agree that this needs to be released to the masses?
    Christ, they even have six disc deluxe vinyl versions!

This is sheer insanity, on their part.

Roth sounds like he's doing free-form karaoke, to amuse his co-workers.
    Ed's tone is just so buzzy & sterile.

I feel nothing, just embarassment.

No cheer******s allowed!
    WZLX has been playing "Panama" quite a bit, and i know the DJ's there are huge CVH nuts.
    I got through, and talked to two guys (one on the phone, one responded to me via Facebook).

Both of them think it's just awful.
    The guy on the phone was laughing, he said it was so painful to listen to, he literally had to laugh.
    He said he'd fielded a number of callers wondering what the hell happened to this band?
    People were actually confused, i guess.

It almost feels like a purposely orchestrated diss at Roth, like a parting shot.
    I'm crazy to think that, but maybe this will aid the brothers if they bail on Roth.

If that's not the case, Ed could go one of two ways with this:

1. Take the criticism & rejection, get pissed off like he did with III, and disappear.

2. OPEN HIS EARS & EYES. LISTEN TO THE FANS. AND MAKE BETTER CHOICES.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    I heard that too, but I think he is an old man with dentures
    He sounds like Mr. Magoo sometimes.

I'm just mystified and let down. This album took almost no effort, it was the path of least resistance. Contractual obligation fulfilled.

"I'm just here so I won't get fined"

If these guys can't get together to record new stuff (regardless of who is to blame), they should split. There is no more ridiculous band in Rock History at this point. In fact, this album probably kills the marketability of any new CVH music.

It very well could be a way to stamp out Roth as the vocalist. And that is an angle that I hadn't taken seriously.
    Last edited by 1234over; March 4th, 2015 at 12:24 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    WZLX has been playing "Panama" quite a bit, and i know the DJ's there are huge CVH nuts.
    I got through, and talked to two guys (one on the phone, one responded to me via Facebook).

Both of them think it's just awful.
    The guy on the phone was laughing, he said it was so painful to listen to, he literally had to laugh.
    He said he'd fielded a number of callers wondering what the hell happened to this band?
    People were actually confused, i guess.

It almost feels like a purposely orchestrated diss at Roth, like a parting shot.
    I'm crazy to think that, but maybe this will aid the brothers if they bail on Roth.

If that's not the case, Ed could go one of two ways with this:

1. Take the criticism & rejection, get pissed off like he did with III, and disappear.

2. OPEN HIS EARS & EYES. LISTEN TO THE FANS. AND MAKE BETTER CHOICES.
    My biggest concern isn't really about NOT getting a vault release we all want...it's about how the world (average rock fans) will view this and tarnish the Van Halen name, their legacy. I think that is already happening as can be seen from DJs, fans etc.

I wish this stuff would've been out when I bumped into Alex couple months ago. Haha

2. I think everyone in VH need to make better choices. But what's eddies next choice. Close it down. Or get new singer? That wouldn't happen at this stage. Just release something that doesn't have these blatant flaws I guess!

Roadie

An electrifying performance by Roth...

according to the press release on blabbermouth, lol.

"Tokyo Dome Live In Concert" features an electrifying performance by singer David Lee Roth, guitarist Eddie Van Halen, drummer Alex Van Halen, and bassist Wolfgang Van Halen. Mixed by award-winning engineer and mixer Bob Clearmountain (THE ROLLING STONES, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, ROXY MUSIC, NINE INCH NAILS, and many more), and mastered by Chris Bellman, the album features such classic anthems as "Dance The Night Away", "Beautiful Girls", "And The Cradle Will Rocků", "Unchained" and "Everybody Wants Some!!", as well as blistering versions of "Tattoo", "She's The Woman" and "China Town" from the group's most recent studio album, "A Different Kind Of Truth".
    Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/van...ifsxJUWfhyZ.99

That is too funny. Electrifying? Dave is really bad on Panama, but overall the band sounds pretty good.

It's weird, because when I saw them live in 2012, Ed's tone was awesome. it sounds so dry on this. The mixing is really off. That is all they had to do, mix it, and it's bad. He's tinkered with tone his entire career and it will never sound as good as his set-up from those classic years. A potted Gibson PAF in a second hand-painted guitar going through vintage Marshall Plexi's cranked to 10...go back Ed! Go back!

Band Manager
    I can't help but compare this to Zeppelins release of their O2 performance.
    That release, while having its cringe worthy spots and having a Robert Plant who obviously can't do what he used to - is at least sonically powerful.
    It shows you that Zeppelin probably really were what the legends claim they were.

VH here are doing the opposite.
    They are releasing something which backs up the naysayers and particularly the "Roth sucks" camp.

Again, I actually can't believe they would even release this.
    It's like a youtube goof where someone replaces the original audio with a spoof.

Dance Baby!
    Dave is out. No doubt now.

No wonder Dave has gone in blackout mode.

When Ed says, "He doesn't know where Dave is". There is something wrong. Eddie and Alex are ready, but Dave is holding it up? Come one man! Would Ed have said that last year? From everything I've read, they haven't written anything together since the 80's.

This is all about money in my opinion.

Looking back now, getting Dave back was just a cash grab. A 7 year cash grab mind you.

Just like:

Dave showing up the MTV awards in 1996

Best of Van Halen, Volume 1

Getting Sammy back in 2004.

Best of Both Worlds (another greatest hits)

2007-2008 Van Halen reversion tour

Another Different Kind Of Truth (reworked demos)

2012-2013 Van Halen ADKOT tour (See 2007/2008 tour)

Live Album

Re-mastered Re-release of the Classic Van Halen material

Makes me go Mmmmm

Just curious, if Van Halen were to release live videos of the band from 1978 through 1984, would they have to pay Dave & Michael a percentage?

If Van Halen released remastered versions of the Hagar era albums, would they have to pay Sammy & Michael a percentage?

Just thinking aloud here.

This band makes no sense.
    Daniel (1994-2013)