Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Should Van Halen do Kickstarter? - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    It's kinda like the reverse of "Pay to play."
    Sadly, what would a new band do with a record anyway. Have there been any bands discovered on youtube or kickstarter because they had a record? Still seems like playing the clubs across the country would be a better way to make your name.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    I hope not! I don't want downloadable stuff. I want an actual CD/DVD I can hold. Of course, if they did do it I would be loving to have it but it would definitely be tainted a bit, for me.

VH are never gonna do anything like this. They're pushing sixty, didn't grow up with the internet age, they could care less for social media and all these new sites and apps that pop up every year. Many of us are twenty years younger than them and we don't follow it, either.
    I agree.

I'm always surprised that people actually think a guy like Eddie might check out a VH website, from time to time.
    with the exception of Wolf, who's from the social media generation, i highly doubt any of them care.

Even the FB posts feel like somebody typed the messages for him.

As for Youtube, a lot of horrible music has surfaced due to it not having a filter (a record label).
    If a tween girl decides Justin Bieber is cute, he becomes a star via word of mouth & endless links, passed from
    one tween to the next.

In a way, it's not just rampant piracy that makes modern music seem disposable.
    It's also the quality of what we are consuming musically.

Band Manager
    Yeah, once ya get older... technology is just a pain in the ass.

The state of the music industry is just horrible. I thought there might be some light in this decade given how bad last decade was but it's just getting worse. The record companies have given up and completely given in to the tweens. That's where the money is I guess. You watch a Grammy or MTV award show and it's like, "you gotta be fuckin' kiddin' me!" It's just become a pop and rap fest. I mean, it's been that way for 15 years but, now, with the tweets and the trending...it's out of control. Tech has changed everything, really.

Sadly, you're right. Music is disposable today. Consumerism, television, internet, has created a culture shift that has made everyone sheep. Music, politics, everything seems to have an "assimilate" angle. It's gone way beyond the "Subdivisions" of our day. In the process many are being dumbed down. Thus, the quality of everything has become less and less important.

Just put out material people will actually buy.

Piracy is negligible for a band like Van Halen because lets be honest, how many middle aged dads are internet savvy enough to do that?

No cheer******s allowed!
    Good point, wimpy, though i am & i'm 42!

But i'm only savvy out of necessity.
    There were random bootleg files i desperately wanted, way back in the day, and could
    not open them.

I got into file sharing, torrents, zip files, all as a result of this.
    One thing lead to another!

I am the seeker.