Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Should Van Halen do Kickstarter?
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should Van Halen do Kickstarter?

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Actually, this is minor stuff in comparison to the kickstarter schtick, which i loathe.

This annoying minor celebrity from Boston, Amanda Palmer, who'm is this ageing goth chick
    married to the multi millionaire sci-fi author, Neil Gaiman (or whatever his name is), had her sheep
    (i mean fans) pay for new record!

That is unbelievable to me.

Pay for your own fucking album, then sell it.
    Why should i pay for your album, then buy it again?

Then you get all these actors trying to get their followers to finance their vanity projects, via
    kickstarter.

You're fucking rich!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    You don't buy it twice. Usually when an artist puts together a kickstarter they'll set up "perks" to go along with it, and it increases with the amount of money you put in. $10 gets you the album, $15 gets you album and let's say picks, stickers, pins, $20 gets you all that and signatures, $30 all and a poster. It's really neat way to do it and have a mutual gain out of it. I rather like the idea, you're pretty much pre-ordering from the band. It's really nice for unsigned bands to get some finance to do an album. Some killer albums have come out of it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    yeah the kickstarter stuff can be annoying... Like UG says... Amanda Palmer is the Queen of it for every little thing it seems.
    But it is a decent way to get a gauge of demand and you are pre-paying for the product. Just think... if VH would do this for the concert DVD that we all want ... it might be a success.. ha
    If Van Halen did kickstarter it would have to be something quite special that appealed to more than just the die hards.

Perks such as autographed copies of the finished product could work.

With Kickstarter is it possible for the fans to set a project up, for example include Michael Anthony on Bass and Backing Vocals, to see if there is the demand and funding for such a project?

Only a little tardy
    No. You don't choose what perks you want to be there, the artist gives it to you. You don't pay and hope that they set up a perk with Mike. It has to already be a perk of the kickstarter. Perks are there to show the level of investment a consumer is willing to take into the project. The number one thing the band wants is to reach a financial goal, not to see the interest otherwise they should just take a poll. If the goal isn't met, then the people get their money back. It's like a pledge for money.

This would look really bad for Van Halen, as UG stated in the other thread:

"This annoying minor celebrity from Boston, Amanda Palmer, who'm is this ageing goth chick
    married to the multi millionaire sci-fi author, Neil Gaiman (or whatever his name is), had her sheep
    (i mean fans) pay for new record!"

The idea behind these kickstarters is that the band doesn't have the funds to produce it themselves, what would that look like for Van Halen if they opened one up? We know and they know fans would love a live DVD of a classic concert. They wouldn't need this.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

No cheer******s allowed!
    No. You don't choose what perks you want to be there, the artist gives it to you. You don't pay and hope that they set up a perk with Mike. It has to already be a perk of the kickstarter. Perks are there to show the level of investment a consumer is willing to take into the project. The number one thing the band wants is to reach a financial goal, not to see the interest otherwise they should just take a poll. If the goal isn't met, then the people get their money back. It's like a pledge for money.

This would look really bad for Van Halen, as UG stated in the other thread:

"This annoying minor celebrity from Boston, Amanda Palmer, who'm is this ageing goth chick
    (i mean fans) pay for new record!"

The idea behind these kickstarters is that the band doesn't have the funds to produce it themselves, what would that look like for Van Halen if they opened one up? We know and they know fans would love a live DVD of a classic concert. They wouldn't need this.
    Oh my God, if VH ever did this the fan backlash would be deafening!

My issue with Kickstarter has to do with established artists taking advantage of their fans, or at least
    that is my perception.

If Amanda Palmer were some struggling nobody, with talent & hopes of recording an album or making
    a film, etc., and she already had a small group of followers interested in seeing her succeed, i could
    understand it.

But she's long been established & has a large loyal fanbase of her own.
    Add to that, she's married to Neil Gaiman!

Do you really need a Kickstarter for your next project, Amanda?

Same thing with that actor Zach Braff.
    You are established, famous, financially sound.

Do your fans really need to fund your next project?

This would look really bad for Van Halen
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Oh my God, if VH ever did this the fan backlash would be deafening!

My issue with Kickstarter has to do with established artists taking advantage of their fans, or at least
    that is my perception.
    I'm not sure if Van Halen ever listen to the fans or would know the difference between a good career choice and a bad one.

They could claim it as embracing the current cultural trend.

There is also an argument that as records no longer sell that well, Van Halen may most likely loose money on making an album and therefore crowd funding may well be the only viable way of releasing new music.

If Van Halen aren't going to make money on records or DVD's, it could also be argued that by releasing more material, Van Halen are merely embarking on a vanity project.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    I'm not sure if Van Halen ever listen to the fans or would know the difference between a good career choice and a bad one.

They could claim it as embracing the current cultural trend.

There is also an argument that as records no longer sell that well, Van Halen may most likely loose money on making an album and therefore crowd funding may well be the only viable way of releasing new music.

If Van Halen aren't going to make money on records or DVD's, it could also be argued that by releasing more material, Van Halen are merely embarking on a vanity project.
    Actually, you brought up an excellent point that i really didn't consider: Piracy.

A lot of people ARE getting new releases for free (music & movies, etc.)
    VH would be in the right to say, "Ya know, we really have nothing to gain (financially) by
    making records, if the fans are going to grab it for free."

In this case, a kickstarter could be like a kid putting a down payment on a new album.
    Let's say, you contribute 5 to 9 dollars, and you get a free DL & artwork.
    You contribute 10 dollars and you get a physical CD mailed back to you, when it's done.
    It would be a way to gauge the market or interest in new music.

I have to admit, if VH did a kickstarter for anything new or a vintage box set, i would most certainly
    donate, because i'd want it.

Band Manager
    Na, VH shouldn't do this. Not sure why the question was even raised. A nice tool for up and comers but not for a band like VH. Asking us to finance their projects is a slap in the face, IMO. Their rich! They don't need our money. Releasing a new record or old material is drop in the bucket, too them. The tour is where the money is made, not records. Every band on the planet (new or old) gets that math. With established bands there's no need to "gauge" anything.

I am a little hesitant on the effect kickstarter could have on music on a whole, in the future. Will it become the norm? If you don't make it on kickstarter you don't make it at all sorta thing.

No cheer******s allowed!
    It's kinda like the reverse of "Pay to play."

If Van Halen said ok we will do kickstarter for the complete Oakland 1981 show or a 1980 Invasion Concert on DVD, I don't think too many fans would complain.

This could be the way to unlock the vaults at 5150.

Only a little tardy
    No. They don't need to do that at all to see if they'd get any attention. It's redundant and asinine for them to even attempt it. I can't imagine them sinking to that level of wanting money for a project that they can certainly afford and fund either by own pocket or label.

ADKOT sold well, 1 million in a year. I don't see how they'd suffer at all. They obviously have the backing and success to pull their next project off without going to kickstarter. Not only would they make themselves look foolish but completely de-legitimize kickstarter. They wouldn't need a lot of money like the old days to do another album. VH has a whole studio to record with, they have a label to back them up. They don't need to do this at all.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    If Van Halen said ok we will do kickstarter for the complete Oakland 1981 show or a 1980 Invasion Concert on DVD, I don't think too many fans would complain.

This could be the way to unlock the vaults at 5150.

I hope not! I don't want downloadable stuff. I want an actual CD/DVD I can hold. Of course, if they did do it I would be loving to have it but it would definitely be tainted a bit, for me.

VH are never gonna do anything like this. They're pushing sixty, didn't grow up with the internet age, they could care less for social media and all these new sites and apps that pop up every year. Many of us are twenty years younger than them and we don't follow it, either.