Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

New Lisa Robinson Book Has Some VH Snippets
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Band Manager

New Lisa Robinson Book Has Some VH Snippets

I just read some parts of her book where she talks about VH. She calls Roth "occasionally amusing" but didn't like him much. When an 18 year old Christy Turlington wanted to meet Roth, she told her "no, you really don't". When they did meet up, they just got tired of listening to Roth laugh at his own jokes, and left to meet up with Mick Jagger at his place instead,

She mentions an episode in a NYC club in 1982 (at an Iggy Pop show), when Roth came over to the table where she was sitting with David Bowie and Paul Simonon (Clash bassist. Roth was a Clash fan, regardless of any US Fest jibes) and tried to converse with them, and let them know how much he admired them. She said she didn't think anyone else at the table knew who he was, and they ignored him until he sheepishly went away.

Then on the next page, she mentions spending another NYC evening with him, taking him to underground clubs and seedy joints in an attempt to shock him, but instead he was enthusiastically greeted at every venue by patrons and employees alike. She was surprised because she didn't think he was nearly that famous.

Roth dared her to travel with them on their tour bus through the deep South in 1982. She says she ended up waiting on the bus with the crew and the other band members, while Roth and EVH, both coked to the gills, screamed at each other "for hours. HOURS".
    Last edited by 1234over; June 16th, 2014 at 03:09 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I just read some parts of her book where she talks about VH. She calls Roth "occasionally amusing" but didn't like him much. When an 18 year old Christy Turlington wanted to meet Roth, she told her "no, you really don't". When they did meet up, they just got tired of listening to Roth laugh at his own jokes, and left to meet up with Mick Jagger at his place instead,

She mentions an episode in a NYC club in 1982 (at an Iggy Pop show), when Roth came over to the table where she was sitting with David Bowie and Paul Simonon (Clash bassist. Roth was a Clash fan, regardless of any US Fest jibes) and tried to converse with them, and let them know how much he admired them. She said she didn't think anyone else at the table knew who he was, and they ignored him until he sheepishly went away.

Then on the next page, she mentions spending another NYC evening with him, taking him to underground clubs and seedy joints in an attempt to shock him, but instead he was enthusiastically greeted at every venue by patrons and employees alike. She was surprised because she didn't think he was nearly that famous.

Roth dared her to travel with them on their tour bus through the deep South in 1982. She says she ended up waiting on the bus with the crew and the other band members, while Roth and EVH, both coked to the gills, screamed at each other "for hours. HOURS".
    Sounds like she has an axe to grind...

The telling line was the one about "no one at the table knowing who Roth was."

Gimme a break, VH was unavoidable at that point in time.
    People (especially fellow musicians) KNEW who David Lee Roth was.

A lot of these guys think they are above it all.
    The Clash, i'm sure, thought they were above the hedonistic approach of VH.
    They were political & serious, while VH was fun, loud & extroverted.

Regardless, i'm kinda surprised Lisa, with her history with VH, kinda rags on Dave.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Sounds like she has an axe to grind...

The telling line was the one about "no one at the table knowing who Roth was."

Gimme a break, VH was unavoidable at that point in time.
    People (especially fellow musicians) KNEW who David Lee Roth was.

A lot of these guys think they are above it all.
    The Clash, i'm sure, thought they were above the hedonistic approach of VH.
    They were political & serious, while VH was fun, loud & extroverted.

Regardless, i'm kinda surprised Lisa, with her history with VH, kinda rags on Dave.
    Yeah, she bad mouths him, yet keeps hanging out with him.
    Her bread was buttered mostly by 70's English and NYC rock stars. Roth was a new star, and she probably didn't think he would be accepted into the clique. Most encounters are with 70's stars, then all of the sudden Kanye West is featured prominently. I don't get it.

Van Halen were never overtly pretentious, and that seems to be a prerequisite for being considered an "artist". Roth flipped it upside-down, and calculatedly tried to make everything appear primal.
    Last edited by 1234over; June 16th, 2014 at 01:51 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager
    Fuck Lisa Robinson.

Van Halen ruled the music scene at that time, and Roth was the spokesman.
    Critics like Robinson believed they were too cool for a band like VH, and that's why you'll always hear them spout out names like Iggy Pop, The Clash, and usually Lou Reed - the darlings of those hip critics.

I think it's great that Roth actually knew more about these underground places than Robinson.
    I wonder if she had any idea that Roth's uncle owned the Cafe' Wha?
    Last edited by Incomudro; June 17th, 2014 at 08:28 AM.

Band Manager
    Very interesting. Had no idea about her book until now. I want to find out more about this.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I never caught on to the lou reed worship.

He looked like a dork and sang like he was bored.
    Roth looked and sounded the part.

Band Manager
    This doesn't really surprise too much.When I read here work back in the day, I never got the impression she was that into Dave.The under lying tone always seemed to veer back towards, Ed.

Plus, shredding people usually helps when selling books, unfortunately

It sounds like Dave offended her early on; possibly unintentionally.

If he did, then it's a pity Lisa doesn't admit it.

Also if Christy Turlington knew about Roth and wanted to meet him, then why does Lisa try to maintain that Dave was unknown.

The reality was that it appears that everyone knew who Dave was, much to the annoyance of Lisa.

Only a little tardy
    Well, obviously with an autobiography it's going to be biased and subjective to her point of view. She really might have thought that DLR was a nobody in the music scene, she probably didn't know much about Van Halen's past tours and albums. I'm thinking it's likely that Bowie and Simonon just didn't want to deal with Roth at the time, because they knew who he was. Seems like she was a vain chick in that period of her life.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

No cheer******s allowed!
    Lisa should know better.
    Sour grapes.

There were lots of great female rock journalists, from that period.
    There was one who's name escapes me, that wrote a Creem article in the 70's
    titled: I dreamt i was onstage with Kiss in my maiden form bra.

The article was great & referenced in "Nothin' to lose."

I guess her angle was she wanted to not just see Kiss & write about it, she
    wanted to be onstage with Kiss and write about that.
    She ended up wearing a combination of all four of the Kiss characters makeup.
    They let her go on with an unplugged strat!