Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

"Great Van Halen Project"- David Lee Roth - Classic Van Halen Reunion - Is Mike Back? - Page 13
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    I can't wait for the new stuff.No doubt it will be mostly new material.I'm not expecting it to be better than ADKOT but I'll be happy none the less.
    I agree. 36+ years after the debut and they're still around! Why somebody wants to piss all over the band because of who is(or isn't) on bass is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Jungle Drummer; April 25th, 2014 at 12:37 AM.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    I'm not expecting another masterpiece like the classics. I still think ADKoT was a solid album. I just don't know how many other demos they can rehash. I want some fresh material. We saw some of that on there too, and it's a bit hit or miss. We got "As Is" but we also got the half-cocked "Chinatown."

I know I may have a bias for heavy music, and some may not care for it, but I really liked how they had that big, bombastic sound. They don't need to act like twenty year old rock stars (well, Wolfie can), but I don't really think they should go for a "wise old man" schtick and do a VH mach 5 Jazz Odyssey experimentation.
    I don't want Van Halen to try and be something that they are not.

But I am curious as to what the result would be if you got together all four original members to work on new music.

The energy between them might remind them and reconnect them with something they haven't felt in 30 years.

I see Mike more than just someone who brings a certain bass and vocal style to the mix. If Van Halen are recording with Mike on board, just hearing the subtle differences might just make the hairs on the back of their necks stand up and inspire them to capture something special.

I agree that they shouldn't do a Jazz Odyssey or any other major detour from the Van Halen sound as I think that would be a massive mistake.

Of course there is the opportunity for Van Halen to use demos from the sessions with Dave and Mike from back in 2000.

Could this be the new 'Great Van Halen Project' that Dave is so excited about?

When they were recording back in 2000, Dave did say various comments, such as, 'the hands fell off the clock', which implies that it was as if they had been transported back to the Classic Van Halen era.

Now another raid of the vaults by Eddie could be easily justified with Dave's 'timeless' comments.

This certainly would be the real reason and the inspiration behind the Van Halen camp reinstating contact and dialogue with Mike and his re-introduction to the band.

Obviously Alex would have his partner in the rhythm section re-instated.

Band Manager
    Were mike to record with VH again, the results would sound more like classic VH.
    The trade off between Mikes and Daves' vocals, Mike essentially taking the chorus.
    They'd be able to do a lot with it if they desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    Were mike to record with VH again, the results would sound more like classic VH.
    The trade off between Mikes and Daves' vocals, Mike essentially taking the chorus.
    They'd be able to do a lot with it if they desired.
    To think that the same four guys that created the classic albums that make up the 6 pack, plus 1996's 'Me Wise Magic', and 'Can't Get This Stuff No More', are firstly still alive, and secondly each still performing, is outstanding.

If you think of the countless rock groups who at some point lost a founding and/or key member to drink, drugs or natural causes.

Yet, here we have four individuals, that are about to enter their seventh decade on this planet, and we as fans have a choice on who we would like to see in the band.

I find it quite remarkable.

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    To think that the same four guys that created the classic albums that make up the 6 pack, plus 1996's 'Me Wise Magic', and 'Can't Get This Stuff No More', are firstly still alive, and secondly each still performing, is outstanding.
    that is remarkable...especially how bad of shape Ed was in 10 yrs ago.