Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
"Jump" turns 30 today !!! - Page 7
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    You don't think Jump sounds dated?? It screams mid-80s!
    Completely agree.
    The synth sound alone screams "Do you remember the 80's?"

And you'll notice that 5150 sounds even more dated, which is why i say
    "Jump" was that bridge to the Hag era & sound, although 'Jump' still retains
    that undefinable Roth-ness.

But albums like the debut still sound modern & classic!
    Classic VH never sounds like a relic of it's time, to my ears.
    It always has a cutting edge feel to it.

Band Manager
    You don't think Jump sounds dated?? It screams mid-80s!
    I actually don't.There's tons of keyboard sounds from the early to mid 80's that sound dated but I don't think Jump does.I think the Jump keyboard sound is unique, and is one of the few that doesn't scream 80's.I think because there was a five year stretch of keyboard madness,and the era is considered horrible by many,complete with bad keyboard and drum sounds o'plenty,things like Jump automatically get lumped in with them.Basically,there was so much bad stuff the good stuff (like Jump) just gets dated too.

So much of the pop music from that era sounds dated it seems to unconsciously affected the rock music.I hear stuff like Rush,Genesis,Police getting bad raps,too.I think,like Jump,some of those keys were unique as well.

Now,the keys on 5150 sound completely dated.They were dated before the 80's even ended.

No cheer******s allowed!
    The keyboards/synth still sounds great on The Police, Ghost in the machine.
    That album never sounds dated to me.
    ABACAB by Genesis, also has a cool synth sound.

"Jump" just sounds so casio, to me.
    I picture some kid playing it in a Radio Shack circa 1983.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    "Jump" just sounds so casio, to me.
    I picture some kid playing it in a Radio Shack circa 1983.
    LOL,I remember those days.
    Definately a 'casio' vibe with Jump,I won't deny that,but it's never given me a cheesy,or dated feeling like other stuff from the era.Love walks In,on the other hand...that's full blown dated everything.

Heard Jump on the radio today, and I don't care what anyone thinks of it, it really gives me a boost to hear a radio station play that song 30 years after it was released.

That must be the accolade of what is a classic song.

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    Heard Jump on the radio today, and I don't care what anyone thinks of it, it really gives me a boost to hear a radio station play that song 30 years after it was released.

That must be the accolade of what is a classic song.
    God forbid we have to hear the Foo Fighters or Nickleback on the radio in another 20-30 yrs. And why in the hell do Pew2 and Bon Jovi get airplay on classic rock stations? They sucked back in the day and to this day still suck possibly even worse. But back to the OT.....Jump to me was merely average. DOA, Atomic Punk, Feel your love tonight is VH to me, Jump not so much.

EVH diehard ...
    "Jump" always gets a great response when it's played on the radio . It just has an uplifting vibe with positive overtones . Most people don't dissect the band like we do , so there's no sense of comparison or competition - it's simply a fun song . Period .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

EVH diehard ...
    Jump sounded waaay out of place for me, and I was only 8! Dave saved that song with his lyrics and style, and his lyrics are what made it such a strong hit...not the keyboards. It was catchy, simple and fun to sing along to. Still is, when you actually let it play all the way through. Eddie has some cool moments in the song, but Roth made it what it is.

I was listening to Dreamline by Rush the other day and it hit me...........here's a band that went into a softer, keyboard heavy phase around the same time as VH, but they neglected the guitar almost completely for a decade, and they never swapped out lead singers like VH did. My point is that the music scene was changing and VH was changing with it. Hell listen to what Roth was putting out a few years later........not exactly vintage VH sound either. I think if Roth had stayed with VH, we would've had albums that sounded pretty similar to 5150, OU812, FUCK and Balance musically, but with superior lyrics. That was just a sign of the times. Thank god grunge saved rock n roll!
    So ... The song was out of place and you thought Dave's lyrics and style 'saved' Jump , at the age of 8 ???
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    So ... The song was out of place and you thought Dave's lyrics and style 'saved' Jump , at the age of 8 ???
    Nope, when I was 8 I thought it sounded out of place with the rest of the album. The rest of that paragraph is composed of thoughts I've developed over time. That's why I only mentioned my age in the first sentence, when referring to it sounding out of place.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

EVH diehard ...
    Nope, when I was 8 I thought it sounded out of place with the rest of the album. The rest of that paragraph is composed of thoughts I've developed over time. That's why I only mentioned my age in the first sentence, when referring to it sounding out of place.
    Sorry . Got my syntax mixed up . LOL .
    Any-hooo , you feel that Jump sounded out of place on a VH record ? At the age of 8 ? This is priceless ...
    What did you think about the opening track "1984" , or "Top Jimmy" ?

Again , at the ripe old age of 8 .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."