Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    For RWTD , you need a Les Paul , or Explorer type of guitar . There's a separate bridge and tailpiece with a space between them . That gap between the components is where you strum the muted/deadened strings , to get the mentioned effect .

For the noise we're talking about in GGB , I believe it's Eddie raking the strings , on the 'other' side of the locking nut .
    If he did use his "V" to record the basic track , then the above trick would also work . Either way ... Cool sound !!!
    Ahhh,forgot about the spaces on those guitars.I haven't played a Les Paul in thirty years.
    Thanks Robbie,thanks Garbeaj....learn something new all the time here.
    It does sound a little different from the RWTD rake...closer to how the strings sound above the locking nut.But it's probably between the bridge like RWTD.

EVH diehard ...
    Garbeaj or vhrob would be better than me to ask , about what guitar Ed used on GGB . That would solve the mystery . ie : Floyd Rose Kramer ? Above the locking nut "strum" . Gibson model ? Bridge and tailpiece "rake" .

Voila ! Haha
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Band Manager
    He played the '58 Korina Flying V on "Girl Gone Bad". I think the behind the bridge rakes that Pride of Pasadena and ErickC pointed out in the track sound different partly because it wasn't just a one direction rake...I think he may have done more of a random quick up and down "strum" behind the bridge in "GGB" as opposed to "RWTD" which is just a single rake in a single direction.

Also, the bridge on a '58 styled Flying V is different than the Les Paul or Explorer bridge and tailpiece...the strings are strung through the body and directly to the bridge-there is no actual tailpiece, just the strings coming from the body through the little brass V-shaped "tailpiece"/plate on the face of the guitar. This changes the length of the string drastically and the pitches are completely different as a result.
    Last edited by garbeaj; March 5th, 2014 at 09:31 PM.

EVH diehard ...
    I'm not uber familiar with those guitars (Gibson) , but can tell what you're getting at . Great description of a very cool trick !
    Thanks for clearing it up , garbeaj .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Band Manager
    Thanks Robbie...check out my thread about my Flying V and you can see pics of my guitar that can help you visualize what I'm talking about better...

Band Manager
    Yeah,thanks for the complete breakdown on this,garbeaj! You definitely can hear a difference,nice to know the how and why behind it...thanks!

EVH diehard ...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Thanks Robbie...check out my thread about my Flying V and you can see pics of my guitar that can help you visualize what I'm talking about better...
    Perfect !
    Your insight and help are a breath of fresh air . I applaud you , Sir
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Band Manager

Smile

Thanks to you guys for keeping an open mind. It is great when everybody can learn from each other and there isn't that one guy that doesn't play guitar just randomly trolling for a fight in the middle of a good discussion. Props to everyone!

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Thanks to you guys for keeping an open mind. It is great when everybody can learn from each other and there isn't that one guy that doesn't play guitar just randomly trolling for a fight in the middle of a good discussion. Props to everyone!
    Haha , I "get" the reference and joke
    I much prefer having these informative chats . I've learned so much about Eddie and his guitars from a few fine members of this site , as well as a couple of other VH forums .

Stuff like this is what separates the men from the boys , even though I'm always going to be a big kid at heart !
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Band Manager
    It's all good Robbie! It's always better to keep an open mind and a positive attitude, on this forum as in life. Thanks for always having both!