Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
EXCLUSIVE: Eddie Van Halen & David Lee Roth pics with girlfriends 1975-78 - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Band Manager
    Yeah, thanks for posting DLR73. This is the best thread I've seen since the VHRising Tumblr page. It is astonishing to see such rare old personal pictures. You won't find those from Getty Images.

Those girls do look quite young. It reminded me of a radio interview broadcast from KISW Seattles Best Rock in 1980, where DLR jokingly commented about knowing some 12 year old girl who knew stuff he had yet to experience from anyone else. Maybe he wasn't joking afterall. LOL.

Nowdays, DLR is photographed with more mature women.

Attachment 43749

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah, thanks for posting DLR73. This is the best thread I've seen since the VHRising Tumblr page. It is astonishing to see such rare old personal pictures. You won't find those from Getty Images.

Those girls do look quite young. It reminded me of a radio interview broadcast from KISW Seattles Best Rock in 1980, where DLR jokingly commented about knowing some 12 year old girl who knew stuff he had yet to experience from anyone else. Maybe he wasn't joking afterall. LOL.

Nowdays, DLR is photographed with more mature women.

Attachment 43749

Great thread! Awesome work in getting these pics out of hiding! And thanks for the kind words Heisenberg about www.vanhalenrising.com

The autographs are hilarious!

Thanks for sharing.

Band Manager

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ffoner View Post
    And thanks for the kind words Heisenberg about www.vanhalenrising.com
    You're very welcome.

DLR73 , one of the moderaters is the one who posted the pictures.

This is the site I found out about your Tumblr this past summer. One of the main top posters , CowboyDan, started the thread that included the links to your site.

http://www.classicvanhalen.com/forum...Cool-Rare-Pics

I'm sure everyone is really looking forward to your book, and check the blog regularly. This is the stuff I can't seem to get enough of.

Now you'll have to track down these two girls and pump them for information. They must have some stories to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Halen Store View Post
    Also strange that one of those photos is from The Inside magazine #8.
    Yeah, I knew that one picture looked familiar, but couldn't remember for sure. Then it hit me. It had also been used on the bootleg artwork for " Listen Up Eddie ".

I wonder if those girls are the ones who recorded some of the club shows, and if so, maybe they have some old video footage.

http://www.vhboots.com/listenupeddie.html

listenupeddie_back_large.jpg
    Last edited by Heisenberg; December 13th, 2013 at 04:39 AM.

Giving Dave A Break
    Maybe one of those girls ended up being the subject of Dance The Night Away.....

Giving Dave A Break
    I haven't heard that boot before - holy fuck! Those songs, that guitar playing - in 19fucking76! Oh man, this band set so many standards it's no wonder all the imitators failed - the writing was on the wall for them way back then, before they even knew they were going to be imitators - the standard was so fucking high.

Band Manager
    This old Michael White article says he used to double date with EVH and his girlfriend " Maggie " back in 1976. Maybe that was Kat's real name or Patti had another cousin in addition to Kym previously mentioned in this thread. They might be connected somehow.

This picture is from the LA Forum for a Queen concert.

david_lee_roth-2.jpg

I am from Los Angeles and you might say I kind of grew up in the same musical neighborhood as Dave Roth and company. This picture was taken by my then girlfriend, Mary Garson. She was an up and coming photographer on the L.A. scene at the time. For a while her sister, Maggie, was dating Eddie Van Halen and we used to 'double date' now and then with Dave in tow. This was one of those occasions. Queen was touring for their 'Day At The Races' album. Eddie was with us although he is not pictured here. This was prior to Van Halen signing a record deal with Warner Bros. A little known fact is that my band inadvertantly played a role in helping them get that deal. Here's the story...

At that time, I was singing in a band called 'The Boyz' with guitarist George Lynch and drummer Mick Brown, who would eventually form 'Dokken'. In 1976 we played a Halloween show at 'Gazzarris on the Sunset Strip'. The club was packed and most of the kids who came to the show that night were dressed up in 'KISS' makeup. We played mostly our own tunes, but in order to get gigs we played some 'ZZ Top', 'KISS', etc. We ended our first set with "Firehouse', a KISS song. As we were walking off the stage, I noticed an extremely tall guy approaching me. To make a long story short, the man was Gene Simmons. He was at the club partying with Paul Stanley. They weren't wearing any makeup and really enjoyed seeing all these kids dressed up like them. They really liked our version of their song. Gene said that their label 'Casablanca' was looking to sign some new bands. He asked where we were playing next so he could bring the record company out to see us. I told him that we were playing the following week at the'Starwood', another infamous club in Hollywood.

Van Halen had the good fortune to be on the bill with us (we shared billing with Van Halen at several shows in the mid 70's). Gene showed up with the record company, but our show was really off that night. On the other hand, Van Halen had a great set. They impressed Gene so much that he flew them to NY to record some demos. Casablanca didn't sign Van Halen, but after returning to LA with those tapes, Van Halen shopped them to WB and the rest is history. "The Boyz' would never get another chance like that. I parted company with the band about six months later.

http://michaelwhiteandthewhite.com/a...d_the_boys.htm
    Last edited by Heisenberg; December 31st, 2013 at 02:16 AM.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This old Michael White article says he used to double date with EVH and his girlfriend " Maggie " back in 1976. Maybe that was Kat's real name or Patti's cousin previously mentioned in this thread.

This picture is from the LA Forum for a Queen concert.

david_lee_roth-2.jpg

I am from Los Angeles and you might say I kind of grew up in the same musical neighborhood as Dave Roth and company. This picture was taken by my then girlfriend, Mary Garson. She was an up and coming photographer on the L.A. scene at the time. For a while her sister, Maggie, was dating Eddie Van Halen and we used to 'double date' now and then with Dave in tow. This was one of those occasions. Queen was touring for their 'Day At The Races' album. Eddie was with us although he is not pictured here. This was prior to Van Halen signing a record deal with Warner Bros. A little known fact is that my band inadvertantly played a role in helping them get that deal. Here's the story...
    Thanks for posting this!
    I had seen this pic before, and I might have read the guy's account. What stands out to me now is that Roth used to come out with them. They always claim they were NEVER friends, and imply that Roth was off on his own. I never believed that, and I always felt that they spent a fair amount of time together even when they weren't "working".

Odd that DLR would come along as the "5th wheel".

Band Manager

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Thanks for posting this!
    I had seen this pic before, and I might have read the guy's account. What stands out to me now is that Roth used to come out with them. They always claim they were NEVER friends, and imply that Roth was off on his own. I never believed that, and I always felt that they spent a fair amount of time together even when they weren't "working".

Odd that DLR would come along as the "5th wheel".
    Yeah, it's inevitable they'd hang out socially once in a while. Especially in those early days. It is clear to see from those pictures of them with the young girls there.

Another good thing about re-reading some of these old internet blog tidbits, is that you notice things you may of missed or forgotten about from years ago.

Kim Fowley made a comment about the halloween show VH did at the Whiskey, ( presumedly in 1977 ) in which they wore costumes. The article link was posted in a thread at the VHL a while back . Although it's hard to really know for sure with him, as some of his comments dont really sound 100% correct.

Rocker: You wrote a song for Van Halen’s first CD?

Fowley: Yeah. There is a complete unreleased Van Halen CD in the Warner Brother’s vaults. I told them they should use the name Van Halen. They asked me if they should be Van Halen or Atomic Punks. The played a Halloween show at the Whiskey. Dressed like the Sex Pistols playing all punk songs. After the gig I told them “Stick with the heavy metal thing.” They asked me to get them a record deal. I was at Mercury at the time with The Runaways and The Quick. I brought the president of Mercury to see them. He said, “It’s like the singer from Black Oak Arkansas fronting Led Zeppelin. No thanks!” Mercury passed on Van Halen.

I suspect this picture may possibly be from that Halloween show. It would be cool to get more information about it.

VH235_zps848a7f4f-1.jpg

http://www.rockerzine.com/index.php/...ad-man-rockin/
    Last edited by Heisenberg; January 2nd, 2014 at 12:52 AM. Reason: fix mistaken comment

Band Manager
    I just went to a small record shop (Burger Records) to see Kim Fowley do a Q&A a couple weeks ago. I was so tempted to ask about VH, but he was putting people on the spot (asking them to come up and sing, things like that). He is in pretty bad shape. His mind is still sharp, but he was in a wheel chair, and has cancer.

I think he was referring to the Warner Demos, because that is when they recorded "Young & Wild".

I can believe they may have thought about altering their approach to something more "punk". Things were changing, and they were on the fringe of the scene that was changing from glitter into punk, with bands like The Runaways. The song "Atomic Punk" makes a little more sense, along with little comments EVH has made about "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" relating to "punk rock".

No cheer******s allowed!
    Atomic Punks would have been such a cool name, especially in 1978.
    Whoever came up with that, it's great!