Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Massive Tornado in Moore, OK......ALS hope you're alright.
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    I know the law, friend.

Massive Tornado in Moore, OK......ALS hope you're alright.

Check in if you get a chance, man. I'm not sure what area of OK you're in.

'Major damage' as huge tornado rips through neighborhoods south of Oklahoma City

By Erin McClam, Staff Writer, NBC News

A monster two-mile-wide tornado ripped through southern Oklahoma City and the suburb of Moore on Monday afternoon, leaving homes and schools in ruins and fires burning out of control.

There was no immediate word on casualties, but aerial footage showed major destruction: flattened homes, cars flipped over and crushed, residents milling around in shock or combing through debris.

At one wrecked school, search crews were trying to account for students in kindergarten through third grade, NBC station KFOR reported.

“I lost everything,” a shirtless man told a reporter as he walked in a daze through the ruins of a horse farm that was obliterated. “We might have one horse left out of all of them.”

NBC's Brian Williams and NBC's Al Roker report on the aftermath of a tornado, which is believed to have been up to a mile wide, and left a huge path of destruction as it cut across Moore, Oklahoma.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol spokeswoman Betsy Randolph said 200 people with minor injuries were being treated at a triage center. "Some are more grotesque," she said of the injuries.

"We do have hope," she added. "We are seeing people crawling out of vehicles...crawling out of buildings."

Randolph told KFOR she did not know if there were any confirmed fatalities.

“Just being down here and seeing the rubble and the devastation, I can’t imagine that we won’t have any, but I pray God that we won’t," she said.

A forecaster for NBC station KFOR said the tornado kicked up a debris cloud about 2 miles wide as it tracked east into residential neighborhoods in the Moore area.

A preliminary report from the National Weather Service rated the storm as at least an EF4, the second-worst category. EF4 tornadoes have winds of 166 to 200 mph.

Oklahoma City police told NBC News southern portions of the city as well as the Moore suburb sustained "major damage... a lot of damage."

An aerial view of some of the destruction caused by Monday's tornado.

Two elementary schools — Briarwood Elementary in Oklahoma City and Plaza Towers Elementary in Moore — were heavily damaged, KFOR reported.

Read more & view video: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...homa-city?lite
    Last edited by cowboydan; May 20th, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Love ya moms......
    Yes im OK Dan thanks for asking.....
    Im about 15 miles or so north of where the tornado hit but do have family in the Moore area who were luckily in a underground shelter when it rolled thru.

The devastion from this was massive and there are whole neighborhoods that are for the most part gone.......ditto for business's.

It looks like this was around an F4 and while not an F5 like the May3 1999 tornado the width of this tornado was much wider. Im not sure about the number of fatalitys yet but i guess the number to grow as the rescue and recovery operation continues.
    There have been reports of looters already so im looking for the national guard to be called in sooner if not already so

Thoughts and prayers to all affected would be great.
    TY

EVH diehard ...
    This has been on the news for the entire afternoon .

I truly feel for the people who were impacted . Stuff like this is unreal to watch on tv. I can't begin to imagine what the folks at ground zero must be feeling ?
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    This has been on the news for the entire afternoon .

I truly feel for the people who were impacted . Stuff like this is unreal to watch on tv. I can't begin to imagine what the folks at ground zero must be feeling ?
    It has to be a horrible feeling....
    I was in a F1 tornado in 98 and it was scary beyond belief as i felt truly powerless.

This tornado spawned a few miles to the west and sadly im sure a lot of these people had little warning if at all.
    Reports are coming in of numerous fatilitys at a elementary school.
    This is heartbreaking on every level.

I know the law, friend.
    I'm glad to hear you and your relatives are ok.

I'm hearing upwards of 2 miles wide. I just saw a report of at least 24 children killed at an elementary school that was leveled. Just horrible stuff.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post

I'm hearing upwards of 2 miles wide. I just saw a report of at least 24 children killed at an elementary school that was leveled. Just horrible stuff.
    I watched the tornado develop from nothing into something that was truly truly massive. At one point it didnt even look to be a tornado, just a huge black debris ball that was rolling along picking up steam....the only way you knew it was a tornado was the power flashes.
    Sickening about the children.....i had heard at one point they were hopeful all were OK but sadly the report was incorrect.

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    It has to be a horrible feeling....
    I was in a F1 tornado in 98 and it was scary beyond belief as i felt truly powerless.

This tornado spawned a few miles to the west and sadly im sure a lot of these people had little warning if at all.
    Reports are coming in of numerous fatilitys at a elementary school.
    This is heartbreaking on every level.
    Glad to hear that you're okay !!!

My heart sinks for those who have suffered , or lost their lives .
    I offer condolences to their families ...
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post

This is just gut wrenching ...
    Unbelievable tragedy
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

EVH diehard ...
    I often wonder about stuff like this .
    Do those people who live in tornado/hurricane hotspots , live in constant fear ? It would have to be similar to those who live in earthquake territory , or near active volcanos .

It must be unnerving to know that on any given day , your home could be wiped out . Not to mention the casualties and possible death toll ...
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    I often wonder about stuff like this .
    Do those people who live in tornado/hurricane hotspots , live in constant fear ? It would have to be similar to those who live in earthquake territory , or near active volcanos .

It must be unnerving to know that on any given day , your home could be wiped out . Not to mention the casualties and possible death toll ...

Depends Rob...
    The local weather people id say are some of the best in the nation with tracking and forewarning people about storms. But with todays storm spawning right outside the metro area some people only had 15 mins or so to make a decision that may or may not save their lifes. If you dont have a underground shelter do you get in the middle of your house and hope for the best or do you load the family up in the car and try and get out of harms way?

EDIT*
    just read somewhere that the school had approx 15 mins warning which isnt much at all.
    Last edited by Achilleslastand; May 20th, 2013 at 07:53 PM.