Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favorite amps , preamps or modelers ?
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EVH diehard ...

Favorite amps , preamps or modelers ?

We've all played through various rigs over the years .
    I'm curious to hear the players chime in on pieces of gear that they like , from an amp perspective . This could be stuff you own/have owned , or things you've played through at a jam night or in a music store .

Currently , i'm using a Roland Cube amp with COSM amp emulations . Neat little unit !
    I've owned several 5150 amps (stack and combo) that sounded great . Nice heavy tones , but sort of one dimensional . I never tried the 5150 II or 5150 III amps .

When i was practicing in my parent's garage , i used to have a Marshall combo that sounded cool . I can't remember the model .

Let's talk tone ...
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Git some!
    I love my Marshall JCM 800. It's the ultimate rock/metal tone of the 80s, but I can tone it down for some regular twang.

I've always wanted to try a Splawn. They're essentially hot rodded Marshalls. Honestly, if Rockstah hadn't made his modded amps with that Eddie tone I would have said that Splawn had the best opportunity for the brown sound.

I've never owned any of the EVH amps, but I've played through one of the older 5150 combos and one of the Peavy 6505 combos. Nice and chunky tone. I haven't played through any of the IIIs but they sound amazing.

Now onto misc. When we were doing the recording for the shitty demo I used a couple of amps, none of them my Marshall. There was this THD lunchbox head that I played through a Boogie cab, it had a built in attenuator so I could get some crunchy tones at a fraction of the volume. Then there was this Peavey Classic 50, a two-speaker combo that sounded like a Marshall in a box. It had crunch for days. Next was this older Fender amp, like one of the deluxes or something. I've never like Fenders before, I always thought of them as too...jangly sounding. That changed. It seems Fenders are perfect for just the straight up rock n roll/bluesy type of stuff.
    Ready, Eddie!

EVH diehard ...
    That was a great reply ! Thank you .

One of the best live tones i ever got , was playing at a jam night here in my home town .
    I brought my Charvel model 1 and plugged into my friends' (house band) rig . He had a Marshall JCM 800 half stack , and was running a Boss OD-1 in front as a crunch booster . No effects at all . I was blown away with the tone !!!

The Splawn amps have always sounded fantastic , from the clips i've heard . Al Estrada has done some great VH tribute shows with one of their heads .
    He nails the early Brown Sound , almost parallel with the amp mods that Mark did .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

EVH diehard ...
    I posted an older picture on my profile today , of some of the rack gear i used to own .
    At one time i was playing through a Marshall JMP-1 tube preamp . Lots of amazing sounds in that little box !

During the same period , i had a Peavey Tube Fex preamp , which was my favorite .
    Pure tube tone with built in effects . That thing sounded insane !

Both unit were like time capsules for their respective companies .
    The JMP-1 had hundreds of combinations of Marshall tones , while the Tube Fex was a Peavey tone library with digital F/X built in .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

EVH diehard ...
    Listening to Skid Row at the moment . From what i remember , "Snake" Sabo used an ADA -MP1 preamp into a Marshall head (strictly as a power amp) for a lot of their recordings . Vito Bratta was also a fan of this unit . Anyone else on here ever play through one ?
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

VH fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    That was a great reply ! Thank you .

One of the best live tones i ever got , was playing at a jam night here in my home town .
    I brought my Charvel model 1 and plugged into my friends' (house band) rig . He had a Marshall JCM 800 half stack , and was running a Boss OD-1 in front as a crunch booster . No effects at all . I was blown away with the tone !!!

The Splawn amps have always sounded fantastic , from the clips i've heard . Al Estrada has done some great VH tribute shows with one of their heads .
    He nails the early Brown Sound , almost parallel with the amp mods that Mark did .
    Yeah...Those JCM 800 are great sounding amps. I used to own one that I used with an overdrive (OD1 /or Tubescreamer). I regret selling that amp
    . If I'd buy another one, it would definitely be a JCM 50 w again without a doubt, but I'd swap the Output transformer and tone caps. I happen to have a boutique plexi 50 w Output transformer by Obsolete Electronics, great sounding transformer and is a true upgrade. Too bad you can't buy these anymore...Another good choice for OT's would be Mercury Magnetics (I heard)...
    Last edited by stone; April 12th, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Don't play too fast! You might fall....

EVH diehard ...
    Sounds like i cool setup you have . I don't know a lot about the actual electronics of an amp , so i've never done any of those kinds of upgrades/mods.
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

VH fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    Sounds like i cool setup you have . I don't know a lot about the actual electronics of an amp , so i've never done any of those kinds of upgrades/mods.
    Believe me...I wasn't planning on swapping things around either....until this Output transformer blew up on me ....but then again, I found out the amp sounded better after the OT had been changed
    Last edited by stone; April 13th, 2013 at 03:22 AM.
    Don't play too fast! You might fall....

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Believe me...I wasn't planning on swapping things around either....until this Output transformer blew up on me ....but then again, I found out the amp sounded better after the OT had been changed
    It's neat that you stumbled onto your new sound by default !
    Sometimes good things happen by accident
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Essentially, I've got 3 totally different rigs.

I've got a 100w Peavey Valveking stack with a decent size board in front of it.
    Then I've got my Fender Deluxe which I normally run: guitar>boost>od/dist>amp
    Finally I've got my most used rig, the Digitech RP1000. I love it and wouldn't trade it for any other pedal.

I play in my church band every week and I play at alot of events where both the drums and piano/keys are electronic, and I have found when both piano and drums are electronic, it is best to avlod using an amplifier. It sounds too powerful and you can (and will) easily over power the pianist. Therefore, I bought the RP1000 because it has both TRS (1/4" instrument) and mic cable outputs, which means I can run it into any PA.

When I am able to use an amp at a small gig, I normally run my RP1000 in amp/cab bypass mode in front of my Deluxe. In amp/cab bypass mode, the RP 1000 turns into a pedal board (compressor, distortion/od, chorus/fx, delay, reverb) with 5 different preset pedals.

I use the RP1000 instead of the big board out of laziness. I show up, I make 2 trips to my car and back, I hook up two cords and turn my amp to 11.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" - Spock