Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Just scored an awesome deal! - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    Exactly. I did the same thing when I saw this post, just to see what they were going for on Craigslist locally and I found the same prices, $500+. Great find A.J.
    What's your rig these days ?
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    What's your rig these days ?
    I just have the Crate Blue Voodoo 2x12 combo I bought when I was in high school. Love that amp and my playing isn't good enough to warrant buying anything better. Someday I'll spring for a nice used Marshall or Fender like A.J. did, though. I'm a pawn shop addict, and a craigslist junkie, so I'm always checking stuff out.

Same deal on my guitars, they match my skill level....nothing special.....a squier strat, a squier tele, a schecter damien 6 and an ibanez acoustic.

photo.jpg
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

I just have the Crate Blue Voodoo 2x12 combo I bought when I was in high school. Love that amp and my playing isn't good enough to warrant buying anything better. Someday I'll spring for a nice used Marshall or Fender like A.J. did, though. I'm a pawn shop addict, and a craigslist junkie, so I'm always checking stuff out.

Same deal on my guitars, they match my skill level....nothing special.....a squier strat, a squier tele, a schecter damien 6 and an ibanez acoustic.
    Your Squire Strat looks very, very interesting! I like those Squire Teles, too. I've always thought the `80's Crate amps were overlooked gems. As I've recounted here many times, in my high school talent show this kid blew me away by covering Surfing with the Alien songs with a Crate 2x12 and got all of Satriani's tones perfectly. I think those Blue Voodoo ones are tube amps, too, aren't they?

I agree with ICM. Crate amps, especially the old ones are hidden gems.

Cowboydan, you'd be surprised at how a quality guitar can improve your playing.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" - Spock

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    Your Squire Strat looks very, very interesting! I like those Squire Teles, too. I've always thought the `80's Crate amps were overlooked gems. As I've recounted here many times, in my high school talent show this kid blew me away by covering Surfing with the Alien songs with a Crate 2x12 and got all of Satriani's tones perfectly. I think those Blue Voodoo ones are tube amps, too, aren't they?
    Thanks man. Yes the blue voodoos are tube amps. I really like it, it's very versatile.

Are you counting toggle switches on that strat? ;-)
    -David Lee Roth-

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. MASSEY View Post
    I agree with ICM. Crate amps, especially the old ones are hidden gems.

Cowboydan, you'd be surprised at how a quality guitar can improve your playing.
    Agreed. I sound ten times better on my buddy Jim's Les Paul! The action is so perfect and the frets are huge.....but I just love the way a strat feels on me. I don't know, it's so much more comfortable and balanced, and it wraps around me......I love it. I will own a better strat one day.
    -David Lee Roth-

Are you counting toggle switches on that strat? ;-)
    You must have had that done in the `80's. I used to know a guy that had a B.C. Rich ST III that had individual toggles for each pickup. I think Charvel had a model like that, too. That was forward thinking in the `80's.

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    You must have had that done in the `80's. I used to know a guy that had a B.C. Rich ST III that had individual toggles for each pickup. I think Charvel had a model like that, too. That was forward thinking in the `80's.
    I don't know.....I bought it that way used at a Terrace Music shop near my house when I was in high school. I broke the cardinal rule of guitar playing.......I traded in my first guitar, a Hondo Revival flying V that was heavy as fuck used to electrocute me, for that strat and the mods were already done to it. I just wanted an Eddie Van Halen style guitar and that one already had the hum in the bridge so I thought I was home! I'll never forget being so afraid to give it a test drive at the store because this other kid was there and he was an amazing player. He was pulling off these awesome pinched harmonics and I had no idea how to do them at the time, but I really wanted to know if that strat could do them, hahahaha, so I tapped him on the shoulder and asked him to play the guitar for me! He was like, "Uh, you really should play it if you're thinking about buying it." And I say something like, "You're awesome, so you do it." How embarrassing!
    Last edited by cowboydan; February 28th, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
    -David Lee Roth-

EVH diehard ...

photo.jpg
    Cool stuff !
    I like the EVH style Squire guitar . Did you do it up yourself ?

The Crate amp you have sounds like a keeper . Good job .
    No need to downplay your stuff or skill level (that's not a diss) because some of the best music i ever made/played was on a beat up Charvel .

It had huge dings in the body , an aftermarket Schaller Floyd add on , and a crack in the head stock .
    I owned it for years and never had it set up or intonated once !!! Haha .
    I played a ton of gigs , parties and recording jams with that work horse , and don't have the same chops today - even on newer and more costly gear ...
    Go figure !
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    Cool stuff !
    I like the EVH style Squire guitar . Did you do it up yourself ?

The Crate amp you have sounds like a keeper . Good job .
    No need to downplay your stuff or skill level (that's not a diss) because some of the best music i ever made/played was on a beat up Charvel .

It had huge dings in the body , an aftermarket Schaller Floyd add on , and a crack in the head stock .
    I owned it for years and never had it set up or intonated once !!! Haha .
    I played a ton of gigs , parties and recording jams with that work horse , and don't have the same chops today - even on newer and more costly gear ...
    Go figure !
    Thanks man. I love playing, but I do not put the time in or practice like real musicians on this site do. I just noodle around, pull up some tab here and there, and OD on Doug Steele videos! I'm very comfortable with my level (or lack thereof) of skill. I love it though. I've always been fascinated by guitarists, EVH being the biggest influence by far, so it's enough for me to just be able to play it and to try to get better.

I've had that strat since high school and it started as a natural wood color, just clear coat on it. Had a white pick guard and already had the toggle switches and the humbucker in the bridge. DiMarzio dp-100 for inquiring minds. I'm not sure what the single coils are, but they have Charvel covers over them, so I'm assuming that they are some sort of Charvel/Jackson single. Anyway, I painted it red when I got it and left it that way for years. Got bored with that eventually and painted it black. Loved that look and will get another one in that color scheme some day. But once I started spending time on this forum I got jonesin' for a Franky and tried to do it......fucked it up pretty good, sanded it all down and tried again, did better but there's still some mistakes.

Oh well, it's good enough for me and I kept the toggles. I also kept the single coils and just blacked out the covers, and also blacked out the tone knob so from afar it hides them, but they're still there and active. I have a floyd rose for it, but I took too much wood out when I tilted the humbucker many years ago, and I don't think there's enough meat there to hold a floyd rose safely without running the risk of caving in on the humbucker cavity eventually. I've seen it happen on other guitars and it's an ugly mess. I've been searching for a used guitar that I can make a bumblebee with and use the floyd on that................we'll see.
    Last edited by cowboydan; February 28th, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
    -David Lee Roth-