Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Another Kind of Year...
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 217
  1. #1
    Only a little tardy
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,479

    Another Kind of Year...

    Okay, folks. It's been about a year now, almost. What are your thoughts on the album now? Maybe not comparing them to the six pack, but how did it stand out in the year 2012 of music? Any new favorites? Songs that moved down a scale?


    I'm personally still happy with it. I love to put it in the stereo and jam away. My scale still ranks it at about an 8/10. My least favorite tunes have changed to "Blood & Fire" and "Tattoo", though I'm like "Tattoo" a bit more now. I dug "Chinatown" a lot, still do, but I'm going to go with "As is" with my favorite off this album, with "Bullethead" following behind. The reworked tunes remain fresh to my ears and don't seem dated from their 70s origins.

    I'm a bit of an audiophile, so I'm really digging how this album had be recorded and put together. But I wish Ed's tone was more...classic, brown? There are hints of it, especially when he does his licks and such. He's got a great heavy sound, which is what I think he wanted, but it's like the Brown sound sludged out.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

  2. #2
    I think it sounds good. It certainly didn't lose any of it's flavor.

    Having had time to digest it and let the fanboy glimmer die down, I no longer consider it better than Diver Down. It doesn't have the same "classic" feel, although it does have it's moments.

  3. #3
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Fanboy alert! Uh-oh, I guess I'll keep it short so as not to offend anyone with my one note musings on ADKOT. Still playing it every couple of days, still my favorite album narrowly edging WACF. "As Is" is my favorite track, followed by "B&F", "Beats Workin", and "YAYB". But, there's not a weak track on the album, even "Tattoo" is aging well and has gotten a bad rap. Every week or two, there seems to be a different song that I get addicted to. Last week it was "Bullethead".

    One thing I wish they had done differently was, especially after how great he sounded live, have Wolf do more vocals and have Dave do less double tracking of himself...

    And, as ALWAYS, Al's kicks need to be more UP in the mix! Will there ever be ONE VH album that gets Al's bass drums right?
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

    Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

    Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

  4. #4
    I know the law, friend.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a Simple Rhyme
    Posts
    3,338
    It still strikes me how varied the reactions are to this album. I really like it, but it definitely doesn't touch the 6 pack for me. I play it quite frequently, as it sits in my daily driver's cd player and I give it a whirl at least once a week. I love the sound of the album. I love Eddie's tone.......his brownest since the 6 pack in my opinion. I think Dave did an amazing job on the lyrics to songs that we already knew, making them much stronger. My favorites are still She's the Woman, Blood & Fire, Beats Workin' and Honey Baby Sweetie Doll. I think China Town has great music but stupid lyrics and really wish it was left off the album, or Dave had done something completely different with the lyrics. I'm happy to report that Stay Frosty has really grown on me. At first I didn't like the obvious ode to ice cream man, and the stuffy lyrics, though I did love the music, especially the ripping guitar solos. The more I listened to the song over the past year, the more Dave's lyrics grew on me. I really enjoy the song now. Outta Space has really shot up the list for me too. I liked it right away, but I absolutely love that song now!

    Here's where JD starts to hate me again.........I find myself missing Al when I listen to this album. I mean, he's there, and he has some cool moments on She's the Woman, and Big River, but I feel like he's kinda boring on this album overall. When I saw them live for this tour he was amazing. But when I listen to the album I feel like he's really holding back. Anybody else get that from his playing? I don't know, maybe I've been watching too many videos in the Drummer thread lately, but I miss his funkier, more restless back beats from the good ol' days. What do you guys think?
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-



  5. #5
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    It still strikes me how varied the reactions are to this album. I really like it, but it definitely doesn't touch the 6 pack for me. I play it quite frequently, as it sits in my daily driver's cd player and I give it a whirl at least once a week. I love the sound of the album. I love Eddie's tone.......his brownest since the 6 pack in my opinion. I think Dave did an amazing job on the lyrics to songs that we already knew, making them much stronger. My favorites are still She's the Woman, Blood & Fire, Beats Workin' and Honey Baby Sweetie Doll. I think China Town has great music but stupid lyrics and really wish it was left off the album, or Dave had done something completely different with the lyrics. I'm happy to report that Stay Frosty has really grown on me. At first I didn't like the obvious ode to ice cream man, and the stuffy lyrics, though I did love the music, especially the ripping guitar solos. The more I listened to the song over the past year, the more Dave's lyrics grew on me. I really enjoy the song now. Outta Space has really shot up the list for me too. I liked it right away, but I absolutely love that song now!

    Here's where JD starts to hate me again.........I find myself missing Al when I listen to this album. I mean, he's there, and he has some cool moments on She's the Woman, and Big River, but I feel like he's kinda boring on this album overall. When I saw them live for this tour he was amazing. But when I listen to the album I feel like he's really holding back. Anybody else get that from his playing? I don't know, maybe I've been watching too many videos in the Drummer thread lately, but I miss his funkier, more restless back beats from the good ol' days. What do you guys think?
    Haha, well, Al's playing here is better than any album since 1984. Also, compare his playing on ADKOT to his "coasting" on Diver Down. I love DD, but that definitely isnt Al pushing himself on that record. But his playing on the DD tour is a completely different story!

    Yeah, I forgot to mention Outta Space! It's right up there with my favs on the album. The album is just really consistent from start to finish.

    Actually, Dan, in all seriousness listen to the album on a really good set of headphones and just focus on Al. He's very good on this record.
    Last edited by Jungle Drummer; January 30th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

    Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

    Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    Here's where JD starts to hate me again.........I find myself missing Al when I listen to this album. I mean, he's there, and he has some cool moments on She's the Woman, and Big River, but I feel like he's kinda boring on this album overall. When I saw them live for this tour he was amazing. But when I listen to the album I feel like he's really holding back. Anybody else get that from his playing? I don't know, maybe I've been watching too many videos in the Drummer thread lately, but I miss his funkier, more restless back beats from the good ol' days. What do you guys think?
    I think it's the way it's mixed. I know some people love the production on ADKOT, but I find something about it lacking. The drums don't have the "snap" to them that they had on albums previous. (is snap the right word?)

  7. #7
    I know the law, friend.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a Simple Rhyme
    Posts
    3,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Haha, well, Al's playing here is better than any album since 1984. Also, compare his playing on ADKOT to his "coasting" on Diver Down. I love DD, but that definitely isnt Al pushing himself on that record. But his playing on the DD tour is a completely different story!

    Yeah, I forgot to mention Outta Space! It's right up there with my favs on the album. The album is just really consistent from start to finish.
    I really like his drumming on Hang Em High, Full Bug, Secrets and Little Guitars, though.

    Al used to bring so much funk, swing, and swagger to VH songs.....especially on the early stuff. He was as much a "lead drummer" as Eddie was a lead guitarist and Dave was a lead singer. I think his playing inspired and challenged Eddie to take his own playing farther. It just seems like he played it a little close to the vest on this album. But on this tour, he fuckin' smoked! I was floored at the concert. It was the 3rd time I've seen VH live, and I thought it was the best I've seen Al by far. He was outstanding.
    Last edited by cowboydan; January 30th, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-



  8. #8
    Like Mike
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,338
    I listened to it for the first time in months a couple of nights ago and thought about making this thread.

    Still don't rate it close to the six pack. Probably a 7/10 to me. Re-visiting it, I really miss Mike's background vocals, like I did when it first came out. Unlike everyone else, I don't really care for the production. I don't know, the six pack seemed to have a more organic and warm sound. Al's drums seem to be drowned out to me, and like with cowboydan, I don't really notice his playing on it.

    Eddie recycling some licks all over the album is another peeve of mine, but I'll live with that. I don't care much for Dave's lyrics, either. That being said, the music is really strong. Apart from a couple of tracks, I think that the album is really strong. "As Is", "Outta Space" and "Big River" are my favorites. I'm still not keen on "Trouble With Never", "HBSD" and "Stay Frosty".

    Still, it's a really strong comeback album and I couldn't have asked for more.

  9. #9
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    I really like his drumming on Hang Em High, Full Bug, Secrets and Little Guitars, though.

    Al used to bring so much funk, swing, and swagger to VH songs.....especially on the early stuff. He was as much a "lead drummer" as Eddie was a lead guitarist and Dave was a lead singer. I think his playing inspired and challenged Eddie to take his own playing farther. It just seems like he played it a little close to the vest on this album. But on this tour, he fuckin' smoked! I was floored at the concert. It was the 4th time I've seen VH live, and I thought it was the best I've seen Al by far. He was outstanding.
    Yeah, I dont know...I think Al really pushes the pace and Ed on songs like Outta Space, As Is, HBSD, China Town and brings the funk and swing to STW, Stay Frosty, TTWN.

    Haha, yep, Al is still a monster live. The cat never makes a mistake, either. He has always seemed to play better live than on the records from day one.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

    Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

    Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post

    Unlike everyone else, I don't really care for the production. I don't know, the six pack seemed to have a more organic and warm sound. Al's drums seem to be drowned out to me, and like with cowboydan, I don't really notice his playing on it.
    This. I have trouble articulating my problem with the drum sound but you nailed it with that. I'll back-slap you there.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. A Different Kind Of Van Halen
    By Outtalove in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: February 21st, 2012, 02:09 PM
  2. A Different Kind Of Truth
    By ryanpday in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: February 19th, 2012, 12:07 AM
  3. What kind of kick are you on musically?
    By Mean Street in forum House of Music
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: August 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM
  4. some kind of monster
    By unchainedguitars in forum Non-VH Related Stuff
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 7th, 2004, 11:50 AM
  5. Pets? What kind do you have? wish you had?
    By NE169 in forum Non-VH Related Stuff
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 5th, 2001, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •