Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Ted Templeman? - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ted Templeman?

Groupie

interesting

"we sound like a goddamn rock band!"

--David Lee Roth, Stockholm, Sweden, 1984

What I know is YOU brought up the Brown Sound, how it was gotten, Jose Arredondo (who's not a recording engineer, if that's all you're interested in), whether or not the amp had a master volume, increased gain, blah blah, then when I put in two cents about the tubes and overdrive sound, you say, "I think you're missing my point. I'm not interested in all that." Fine.

Groupie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    What I know is YOU brought up the Brown Sound, how it was gotten, Jose Arredondo (who's not a recording engineer, if that's all you're interested in), whether or not the amp had a master volume, increased gain, blah blah, then when I put in two cents about the tubes and overdrive sound, you say, "I think you're missing my point. I'm not interested in all that." Fine.
    Yeah, I referenced those things because obviously they're contributing factors to the brown sound. Everyone understands that this is a given. I feel like I keep repeating this but, despite me referencing those things (as precursive elements of the sound) I wanted to ask questions about Ted Templeman, Don Landee and the recording aspects that, compared to conjecture about what Jose Arrendondo may or may not have done, gets very little attention, at least on the internet. I was just trying to avoid going down the road for the millionth time about how to get something approximating Ed's sound on a budget in your bedroom, since, despite me referencing these things, my entire original point was to talk about things specifically outside of the typical, ad nauseam realm of Frankie, old PAFs from ES335's, nickel strings, pickup winding, amp modding, dummy loading etc etc.

Not trying to argue with you Ice Cream Man, so I apologize if I may have unintentionally come across that way.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by multo74 View Post
    doing a little poking around this afternoon and I see some info saying that VH1 was recorded in studio 1 at Sunset and the following 5 at studio 2.
    VHII was also mixed at Westlake Audio, so I'm not sure it has the famous Sunset Sound reverb chamber on it. They may have recorded guitar tracks with the reverb (at Sunset) onto the master, then mixed them at Westlake.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Was 1978 around when the Lexicon reverb went on the market, which from what I read was featured on pretty much every heavily reverbed album of the `80's (and built by DOD in Salt Lake City)?

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    Was 1978 around when the Lexicon reverb went on the market, which from what I read was featured on pretty much every heavily reverbed album of the `80's (and built by DOD in Salt Lake City)?
    I think they were out, but from things I have read, Templeman said something like "I like to use a real chamber if they (the studio) have one". A real chamber sounds so much better than any digital reverb, especially one from the 70's.

Has the OP seen this?

http://dgans.com/writings/templeman/
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Groupie

sunset sound reverb chamber

Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    VHII was also mixed at Westlake Audio, so I'm not sure it has the famous Sunset Sound reverb chamber on it. They may have recorded guitar tracks with the reverb (at Sunset) onto the master, then mixed them at Westlake.
    Again, I'm only surmising, obviously, but to my ear the most obvious use of the reverb room on album would be VH1. Interesting what you say because VH2 is immediately noticeable for how dry it is, in particular the guitar tone but across the entire mix. Then, listening to WACF there seems to be more reverb usage than 2, but not nearly like what you have with 1.

Another thing I'd love to find out from Don or Ted (or Ed, yeah right! lol) is process-wise, was how they incorporated things like the famous reverb chamber or compression into the recording process. It's my sense, or best guess, I suppose, that for the most part, Ed played virtually "live" in the studio through what is a simplified version of his live rig and stuff like the immense reverb from VH1 and possibly the 1776 compression was added at mix.

Ed notoriously is documented as having despised the sound on VH-1 and blamed Ted for it. VH2 seems to illustrate this idea, and his determination for it to be severely altered for their second release. Ed's tone on VH2 is his driest ever, save for the use of the double echoplexes on Women In Love, and what does sound like Sunset reverb during the solo to You're No good.

While I understand they're each at least slightly unique, the guitar tones on VH2, WACF and Fair Warning are my favorites. While VH1 has that, classic, unmistakable, "futuristic" (thanks, Unchained!), impossibly over saturated and overly reverberated landscape of rock&roll changing sound-- as a guitarist I truly love the sounds on the next three albums far more.
    Last edited by multo74; January 22nd, 2013 at 09:28 PM.

Groupie
    I think they were out, but from things I have read, Templeman said something like "I like to use a real chamber if they (the studio) have one". A real chamber sounds so much better than any digital reverb, especially one from the 70's.

Has the OP seen this?

No I have not. About to read it. Anything good? thanks for the link.

As far as I know, EVH never used any kind of reverb pedal or rack effect. It's my understanding that reverb on the first several albums is via the reverb room at Sunset, basically, exclusively.

Groupie

Templeman interview

Has the OP seen this?

Awesome read, thanks again 1234.

I'm guessing that this is the original source material for a lot of those sort of famous referenced quotes attributed to him. "My job is to just stick a mic in front of them" etc etc.

Unfortunately very little specific info about engineering VH. He does reference messing with the tubes in heads....so my apologies to Ice Cream Man. Neither of us realized it, but evidently one of Ted's many tricks was indeed messing with the tubes.

Also he does refer to using Lexicon equipment, but says nothing specifically about when he started or what he used it on. Ice Cream Man is correct, Lexicon's original reverb units debuted in 1978. But this interview appears to be from the early to mid 80's.

So who knows?

Exactly why I wish someone would get all the info out of the guy

Groupie

Recording live with effects

Another thing he does mention in this interview is that he likes to use effects live and not just on mixdown, which I surmised to the contrary above. So I was totally wrong on that one.

Doesnt necessarily mean this was the case with VH1, but you'd certainly have to probably assume it was.

If Ed Played all those parts live with his mic'd amp located in the reverb room, listening through head phones while playing with mike and al in the main performance room, I can imagine him being done with it after that record, as huge lush reverb was never before or after a component of Ed's sound, live or on record.