Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Ted Templeman? - Page 8
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ted Templeman?

Groupie

Diver Down

Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Yeah, but if you Wiki Diver Down, it says that it was "formerly Amiga Studios". It wasn't, someone fucked up. "Amiga" is a name associated with Disney, and Disney was involved with Sunset sound, but the studio where Diver Down was recorded is "Amigo". Roth recorded "Eat'em and Smile" there as well.
    After awhile it gets a bit fatiguing huh? Trying to follow all the convolution lol.

So I guess it goes something like - "Oh, Pretty Woman" was recorded at Sunset and the rest was recorded at Amiga, which no longer exists, but was a Disney/WB studio.

http://northhollywood.patch.com/arti...n-s-diver-down

I guess that explains Sunset's current claim that Diver Down was recorded there...Although, if this is the case, it's still a very misleading claim, if not mostly outright bullshit lol.

http://www.sunsetsound.com/?page_id=477
    Last edited by multo74; January 26th, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
    "we sound like a goddamn rock band!"

--David Lee Roth, Stockholm, Sweden, 1984

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by multo74 View Post
    After awhile it gets a bit fatiguing huh? Trying to follow all the convolution lol.

So I guess it goes something like - "Oh, Pretty Woman" was recorded at Sunset and the rest was recorded at Amiga, which no longer exists, but was a Disney/WB studio.

http://northhollywood.patch.com/arti...n-s-diver-down

I guess that explains Sunset's current claim that Diver Down was recorded there...Although, if this is the case, it's still a very misleading claim, if not mostly outright bullshit lol.

http://www.sunsetsound.com/?page_id=477
    Maybe DD was mixed at Sunset? It seems a pretty tenuous connection to that record, but possibly the person that put together the Sunset page knew less than we do! We gotta distinguish between "Amiga" and "Amigo" (if we are gonna drive this subject into the ground, like most other topics).

The studio where DD and "Eat'em & Smile" were recorded was Amigo. It was owned by Warner Bros. for a while.

Amiga is a Disney Animation Studio.

Sunset Sound was originally converted into a studio by Disney.

The most interesting part of analyzing where Diver Down was recorded, is hearing what sounds different, and what sounds the same. DD is thinner sounding to me overall. I like the sound of the Warner demo version of "Hang' em High" (Where Were You Last Night") better than the DD version. That's a pretty good tune to compare.
    Last edited by 1234over; January 26th, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Groupie
    Maybe DD was mixed at Sunset? It seems a pretty tenuous connection to that record, but possibly the person that put together the Sunset page knew less than we do! We gotta distinguish between "Amiga" and "Amigo" (if we are gonna drive this subject into the ground, like most other topics).

The studio where DD and "Eat'em & Smile" were recorded was Amigo. It was owned by Warner Bros. for a while.

Amiga is a Disney Animation Studio.

Sunset Sound was originally converted into a studio by Disney.

The most interesting part of analyzing where Diver Down was recorded, is hearing what sounds different, and what sounds the same. DD is thinner sounding to me overall. I like the sound of the Warner demo version of "Hang' em High" (Where Were You Last Night") better than the DD version. That's a pretty good tune to compare.
    Yeah, sorry, I got caught up in the amiga and amigo shit too, brings me back to High School spanish class lol

Agree DD is thinner overall. Drums sounds the same to me more or less, classic Al sound with TT treatment... Id say anyway.

The guitars sound rougher and less worked over as far as production goes. More just- mid range-y unfettered kinda tone...thinking of Hang Em high and The Full Bug (two songs by the way that I absolutely love and consider to be up there with all the classics- ditto for "Secrets" which is a GREAT tune and Little Guitars---DD is so odd because it's totally generally accepted as by FAR the worst CVH album, and it probably is, but YET-- it still contains several songs which IMHO are basically all time CVH tracks...anyway-- that's what you call a digression!). The guitar sound is a bit rawer. The whole record does sound a bit rawer, less textured, to me in a way, like it just wasnt mixed with as much as the usual polish. No clue if this is intentional or really they just kinda slapped it together, like they did the entire session and album in general.

There's not as many songs as there would be typically to analyze for guitar brown sound I guess, in that Pretty Woman has all that chorus laid on it, Dancing in The Streets is, well, whatever, and Little Guitars is a miniature Les Paul in a transposed tuning with again, a generous dollup of chorus and slap back, or Eventide, or whatever--(another tangent for speculation- when? which tracks? and how much? for the Eventides--I've read others speculate he started using them on FW, but i have no clue really) all over it, in other words, very out of the genus of The Brown Sound.

Still sounds classically VH to me though, and I'd contend more so than 1984 for sure, from a sonic standpoint.
    "we sound like a goddamn rock band!"

--David Lee Roth, Stockholm, Sweden, 1984

Band Manager
    Pretty sure that it's the mixing console from 5150 at 3:06 of this clip. I think the studio is Wally Heider. Just a little trivia...

Last edited by 1234over; May 28th, 2013 at 03:07 AM.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Man, look at that old school 7 UP bottle, in the diner!

Looks like Ed's console saw a lot of bad musicians, judging by that clip, haha!
    Glad he rescued it.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Man, look at that old school 7 UP bottle, in the diner!

Looks like Ed's console saw a lot of bad musicians, judging by that clip, haha!
    Glad he rescued it.
    And bad actors too!

Lots of coke in the crevices of that console, no doubt.
    Last edited by 1234over; May 28th, 2013 at 01:41 PM.

No cheer******s allowed!
    And bad actors too!

Lots of coke in the crevices of that console, no doubt.
    Was just reading an interview with Mick Jones of Foreigner, who had a hand in producing 5150.
    I guess Donn Landee was a bit of a loose cannon, though Mick really respected him.
    At one point, during the sessions, he locked himself in the studio with the master tapes, and
    threatened to burn the place down!

I guess he didn't like the record, either.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Was just reading an interview with Mick Jones of Foreigner, who had a hand in producing 5150.
    I guess Donn Landee was a bit of a loose cannon, though Mick really respected him.
    At one point, during the sessions, he locked himself in the studio with the master tapes, and
    threatened to burn the place down!

I guess he didn't like the record, either.
    I read that too, but he didn't name Landee as the engineer that went crazy, so it might have been a different guy working there. When did the falling out with EVH happen? That sounds like something that could end a relationship...

No cheer******s allowed!
    I read that too, but he didn't name Landee as the engineer that went crazy, so it might have been a different guy working there. When did the falling out with EVH happen? That sounds like something that could end a relationship...
    No, according to Mick, it was Donn Landee!

Here is the full excerpt (from this month's issue of Guitar World):

The idea for that came through Sammy Hagar and John Kalodner, who'm
    had worked with Foreigner early on in our career.
    And i remember Sammy met me at the airport and drove me up to the studio
    at Eddie Van Halen's house.

He was talking to me in the car, and said, "Mick, we've done some crazy things together
    over the years and we've had some crazy times.
    Get ready, because this is gonna be pretty crazy!

So, i thought, what have i let myself in for?

And there were a few crazy times.
    There was a little incident where things got a little wild with Donn Landee, whom i
    had tremendous respect for.

I dont know how it started, but it ended up that he locked himself in the studio
    with the master tapes and threatened to set the place on fire.
    But it all got sorted out.