Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Where have you been? - Page 4
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Like Mike
    Europe is somewhere I really want to visit. I feel kind of bad not having been there since my heritage is Polish, and all of my relative pretty much live there. The continent now gives off this vibe to be that it's the cultural capital of the world.

I've tried convincing my Mom to let me go there for Christmas break next year, but she hasn't let me so far.

I may as well list the places in Australia that I've been:

Melbourne, Australia: My home. The one I keep putting in my signatures. I didn't appreciate how great it is until I left. Coming back for Christmas break was great, and I appreciated the city so much more. Besides a few idiots here and there and the high cost of living, there's not much else you can ask for. It has a little bit of everything. I love it.

Gold Coast, Australia: On the southern Queensland Coast. This is one of the prime tourist destinations, which has all of the theme parks like Warner Brothers Movie World, Sea World, Dream World and Wet'N'Wild Water World. I've been there three times for family vacations. It's truly a wonderful places. Spectacular beaches, with sky scraping hotels right by the shore. You just have a small stroll from the beach from the city or your hotel. Very laid back people, and heaps to do. Wonderful weather, too. It's one of the destinations for "Schoolies" which is I guess like Spring Break for kids who just finished high school. That's when it gets a little bit hectic.

I've never been to beaches as great as the ones there, and Sea World and Wet'N'Wild Water World are great. They have this exhibit called Shark Bay, which is the largest man made shark lagoon in the world.
    It's broken up into three sections, with one housing giants like Tiger Sharks, Dusky Sharks, Lemon Sharks and Bull Sharks, along with great fish like Mahi Mahi and the Queensland Grouper. The second section is a reef section with White Tip Reef Sharks, Black Tip Reef Sharks, Eagle Rays and Leopard Sharks. I snorkelled in that part two times. Great experience. The last section is just a rock pool you can pay to wade through.

Anyway, the first time at Shark Bay was exhilarating for me, I'll never forget it. I was about nine, and it had just stopped raining, so it was that tropical humid atmosphere. When I got there, the water was a bit murky from the rain, but had this kind of glow. I looked into the reef section, thinking it was where the big sharks were, but saw a bunch of smaller sharks. I turned around on the bridge, to the other side, and saw these immense silhouettes contorting slowly beneath the surface. It was kind of like a scene from Deep Blue Sea.
    There's this ambient music playing in the back ground, and that humidity and the site of the behemoth sharks got my heart racing.
    I went to the underwater viewing gallery and was transfixed there for a few hours. I don't know if I was sweating from amazement, or if it was the humidity, but it was an incredible experience. I really like sharks, if you've failed to notice.

Noosa, Queensland: This is about an hour north of the Gold Coast. It's also known as the Sunshine Coast. Steve Irwin had his zoo near here. The freeway on the way to Noosa has trees with legions of bats hanging off of them all along it. This is also an incredible area, just a small beach resort, which has a main beach, a back beach, and an estuary running in between. The buildings laced in between are shops, restaurants and hotels. My first day there was coincidentally, also a day in which it had just stopped raining. It was still boiling though. We went to the beach, and as we were tackling the surf, it started pouring with rain. It was magical. It was still hot and humid, so the rain didn't take away from anything, it added to it. I got the worst sunburn of my life a couple of days later, which included a bubble on my nose.
    One of my biggest life regrets is that I didn't know how to put a hook and singer on a fishing line when I went. I had a lure put on my line, and then estuary running through the town had the most fish I'd ever seen in it. You'd just look under the jetty and it was plagued by mullet, zebra catfish and bream. Couldn't catch anything with just a lure, though.
    Heaps of people swam in that estuary, which kind of worried me since it's probably infested with Bull Sharks.

Sydney, New South Wales: Australia's most iconic city, and probably its best. Sadly, I haven't had a chance to really go there. I've driven on the freeways and eaten at a McDonald's in its outskirts. I've been at the airport as a stop over (today was one of those times, interestingly enough). My MOm went there late last year, and can't stop going on about how great it is. My cousin just moved in with her husband over there, so I'll have to go visit.

Canberra, ACT: The Capital. Nothing special. Bad weather and nothing but roundabouts and freeways outside the suburbs. Great mall over there, though. Probably the only major city in Australia that actually has Kangaroos roaming the streets.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    I always hear that term "Southern hospitality," but I really don't feel it here within the metro area. People here strike me as very aloof. It's like in my mid-20's I started going to music bars a lot, partly because I figured that was a place to expand my social circle. But the vibe I got was, if people don't already know you from school or work, they don't want to know you. Mingling does not exist. And count on any female having a cock-blocking, football-loving, frat boy buddy nearby. Friends have verified my perception.

But up in Tennessee, I recall going to an IHOP. The waitress says, "How are you?"

"I'll have a ham and cheese omelet and the pancake platter."

"How are YOU?," she says.

I thought, "Oh...was I being rude? We really need to assess my psychological state before I order? Um...I'm fine!" I thought, "Wow, that must be the real Southern hospitality I hear about."

What part of Atlanta do your cousins live in? Remembering what you said about their Iron Maiden comments I'm thinking they must be from a little ways out.
    In Louisiana, it's like they try to come off as well mannered, but are actually obnoxious and rude instead.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Alpharetta, you got it!

I remember visiting, and having great times in Georgia.
    They were always great, fun hosts, but then they'd trash me, after i left.
    I never trusted southerners, after that! Haha.

They also got me hooked on Coke (not the drug, the beverage).
    I wasn't allowed much soda as a kid, but they had fridges stocked full of it.
    When we ran out, there were cases downstairs in the pantry.

As an adult, i've realized i can't quit Coke.
    I sometimes drink it at 7 am, before leaving for work.
    It's like a smoker that can't stop.
    I've tried, but i simply cannot.

It all started in Atlanta, when i was 7 or 8.
    I used to drink nothing but Coke.
    I was obsessed.
    Up until I was about 14, I was hooked.
    By this point I was drinking about 8 cans a day.
    Then all of a sudden, the taste was dirty to me and made me feel sick when drinking it.
    I guess I drank so much my body despised it.
    I hate it now.

Permanent vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    I used to drink coke a lot, now I've really cut down. Maybe one a day. It is addicting though, I love the taste.

In Chile I drank more of it since I couldn't drink the tap water there. Foreigners will get sick from drinking water...
    Couldn't drink the tap water in Russia either, unless you boiled it for 10-15 minutes. They did have clean, bottled water available in the grocery stores. The problem was that beer was cheaper than bottled water! It's no wonder they've got so many alcoholics there.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfreak View Post
    Well, I've only been to Florida and rural New York as far as the US goes. But that said, I did find Europe and Russia pretty different. IMO any greater focus on art, heritage, and peoples' welfare would come from having had so many goddamn wars on the continent in the past few centuries. I figure it gets you to value the small things in life as opposed to commercial ones...
    From what I've observed in the States (I've spent most of my time in the South though, mind you), the focus is definitely commercial. Everything is commercial! No small businesses, no one cares about un-commercial things. Everyone wears commercial clothing, listens to commercial music, eats commercial foods and talks about commercial things. I didn't know how to describe it until you put it into those terms, though.

Everyone on this site acts normally, though.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Recently, they had the Coke in vintage glass bottles, on sale.
    I bought several for my 'fridge, and couldn't resist, so i tried one.
    My God, Coke in a glass bottle, original formula, was like an orgasm!
    I felt like a junkie scoring the "good shit."

"This is high quality..."
    Hahaahhh,I'm the same way.I've always loved Coke.Twenty years ago I was drinking a six pack a day,not anymore,the metabolism isn't what it was.The past five years I've been keeping in shape so I cut down to two a week.Saturday is hamburger and FF day,or something on that level so I gotta have a coke.Then,I throw a day thru the week to have one as well.The past six months I've left my routine and I've packed on probably five pounds drinking one a day.The stuff is addicting but I beat it once and I'll do it again.I don't wanna do it but I wanna have at least a three pack abs by spring.

So true about Coke in a glass bottle...it's the best!!!Sucked in the mid 80's when they went to plastic.Doesn't taste the same and ya take three swigs then it's flat and warm.
    Luckily here,the past decade,for the most part there's always been somewhere where you can get it in glass.It's always around during the holidays in the 8oz bottles.but after,there's always somewhere you can find it.It seems too change every year.Sometimes the local supermarket,Walmart,Walgreens,it always changes for some reason.This year they did the 1900 bottles in a four pack.

You can imagine my happiness when 'Sheets', a big Gas and go place started carrying the the large bottles.They're pricey but I don't care.The dollar store carries them too and they're $1.
    Recently Sam's Club started carrying the large and small bottles.
    Not every year of the past decade has it been available, but if I get super desperate there's a plant down the road I can hit up.

It's such crap too cuz everywhere that carries or has carried the glass bottles here,they selll like crazy!!
    They should put em' back in the machines too.I miss the days of grabbin' a cold bottle from a vending machine.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    From what I've observed in the States (I've spent most of my time in the South though, mind you), the focus is definitely commercial. Everything is commercial! No small businesses, no one cares about un-commercial things. Everyone wears commercial clothing, listens to commercial music, eats commercial foods and talks about commercial things. I didn't know how to describe it until you put it into those terms, though.

That's sad that there arent many small businesses down there anymore...historically, by far, the largest employers of Americans.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post

"normal"
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Permanent vacation
    RE: Coca Cola, Pepsi, etc., I just never got into them. I was a fussy flavour-man as a kid, and hated carbonated drinks. I'd always take water instead at a pop machine or restaurant... Figure it saved me a few cavities. And I was very slow to take to beer, as its fizzling on the tongue I just hated with a passion! Same with hard liquor, I'd take 'em in shots or on the rocks. Ginger ale became the sole exemption for me over the years, as I had a soft spot for $9.00 pitchers of rye and ginger at this sketchy bar.

Still haven't bought Coke from a vending machine though, 28 years on.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    Really? I've mainly been between Georgia and Tennessee, so maybe it's different there. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it soda, even my friends from Chicago and New York's families. Lewis Grizzard, the once-famous newspaper columnist, said in Georgia "pop" meant, "I'll pop you up side the head with this Co-Cola bottle."
    Nick is right,Pop up north,Soda down south.From the old soda fountains they used too have.Went to NC once where my dad used too live...and they have some places that still have the old machines with the bottles in them.
    If I ever get the extra cash I'm gonna buy me a bottle machine.
    The highlight of that trip was seeing 'Donkey Baseball'...thought he was busting my balls.They hit the ball then rode donkey's around the bases.