Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What does 2013 have in store for you ? - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    I think it's finally time for me to put the "frustrated writer" bit to bed, and focus on an a goal that is attainable:
    A professional basketball player.

When I got laid off in 2001 I decided it was a good time to put the hammer down and pursue writing. I got things published in some pretty big publications, but I quickly saw that as a freelancer, you weren't going to make any better money than something to buy a steak dinner with, or if you did something big, possibly a guitar. If someone tells you they're a freelance writer for a living, they mean either their wife has a great job or they come from a mega rich family and don't need money.

At the same time...on Twitter I discovered this guy right here in Atlanta who was writing comedy pieces for the Internet and getting big-time attention. I invited him out to my house for a podcast interview, and his story absolutely melted my mind. Now a couple of weeks ago he announced he's moving to New York, because he's gotten a job writing for a new comedy show on MTV! So these things do happen.

For 2013, I'd like to fly to Los Angeles again for the first time since 1998. I'd like to give my dreams another push. A couple of months ago I was making a CD-ROM of everything I've done, but then I start thinking, I'm nearly 42 and maybe the writing was on the wall eons ago. Or maybe I wasted too much time trying to impress the assholes around here who weren't interested in giving anyone a break, anyhow. Or were they right? See-saw...

I also need to get back on the treadmill and shed 30 or 40 pounds, and I'm thinking about getting a haircut and getting a different style. I'm thinking of a Louis CK look: cropped hair, goatee, sport coat, classy.

2014 I'll copy and paste these same paragraphs.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Ha, yeah I'm beginning to wonder if I have any cartilage left in my right knee! I began noticing a few months ago that if I squat down for even just a couple seconds, it is very painful just to stand straight up again. Same if I sit with my knee bent for too long without straightening it. I figured I better retire from playing in the men's league at one of the local community colleges before I blew my knee out. That, and it was getting tougher playing with 18-25 year olds! My days of 25-30 points a game are over, and that is the hardest part to accept!

But, I still wanna just play a little for fun and shoot around enough to keep my 3 pt shot sharp.
    That sucks. My Dad's cartilage blew out when he was trying out for a pro team down here. He had just come from Europe, everything was going well, and he said the competition was lower than what he was used to... And then bam. His knee was fucked.

It'd still be fun being the token white three point bomber haha.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I'd love to write, but as i get older, i feel like i might need a more practical skill.
    Ideally it would involve that, but the question i gotta ask myself is, "Where are the jobs going to be?"
    Your best bet would probably be an IT course, then.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    For 2013, I'd like to fly to Los Angeles again for the first time since 1998. I'd like to give my dreams another push. A couple of months ago I was making a CD-ROM of everything I've done, but then I start thinking, I'm nearly 42 and maybe the writing was on the wall eons ago. Or maybe I wasted too much time trying to impress the assholes around here who weren't interested in giving anyone a break, anyhow. Or were they right? See-saw...

I also need to get back on the treadmill and shed 30 or 40 pounds, and I'm thinking about getting a haircut and getting a different style. I'm thinking of a Louis CK look: cropped hair, goatee, sport coat, classy.

2014 I'll copy and paste these same paragraphs.
    Two years of planning an LA trip in March of 2013, and it's all starting to crumble... I'm pissed. I hope you get to go there, though.

Louie CK is a boss, by the way.

Only a little tardy
    New semester.
    More music.
    Better times.

Though I ended this one very well.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

I want to quit watching pro wrestling this year. We'll see how that turns out.

EVH diehard ...
    Sounds like a few of us have some great goals for next year !
    Hope it all works for everyone .

"I always judge the year on how good the Thai sticks were , and the Thai sticks were pretty good this year !" - DLR , New Years' Eve 1977

Cheers
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Permanent vacation
    ^^ Great Rothism there, Robbie - I either missed that one or forgot it! Definitely going on the quotable quote list...

The last few years, I usually write a list of 10 New Year's resolutions and pin 'em up. If I can nail down three of them, I'll be more than satisfied. If batting .300 is good enough for an overpaid baseball player, it's good enough for me. This year, I'd say.....

# 1 probably has to be regular working hours. I've never been good at keeping a regular schedule, but the past year was especially bad and led to a variety of rushed jobs, insomnia and setbacks. Gotta conquer that shit.

Others?

- Need a regular exercise routine. If I don't lose the pear shape before I hit 30, it's gonna be much tougher to combat the paunch.

- Gotta get traveling again. Been four years now, since I put in anything besides a holiday at home or a wedding trip.

- Keep working on lingering memory and language issues that've stuck around since surgery.

- Try and nail down a karaoke reputation --good or terrible!-- at the local waterhole of choice!
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfreak View Post
    ^^ Great Rothism there, Robbie - I either missed that one or forgot it! Definitely going on the quotable quote list...
    That's from the Starwood, I think, where they played three nights leading up to New Year's Eve or something like that. I have a couple of those (the bootlegs, not Thai sticks).