Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New to the setlist for 2013 - Page 5
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Permanent vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    WHAT??? WHY??!!!!
    Lately, i've been falling in love with those two Roth led tracks from the first best of record.
    "Can't get this stuff no more" is actually a really rippin' tune.
    And i love the production on those tracks!
    It's a different, yet potent sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    I still say the production of "Me Wise Magic" and "CGTSNM" was the best of VH's career. Just a massive sound by producer Glen Ballard. A whole record at that time with Ballard producing would have been amazing.
    Now THIS I agree with!

That first Best Of album was the very first VH album I heard, back around 1999. I was in my mid-teens then, and those two tracks were among my earliest favourites by Van Halen. Spent a number of my guitar classes working on "Can't Get This Stuff No More" then, and was so proud when I could finally reach from 5th to 12th fret on that main little run. Roth sounded great on those tunes as well.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfreak View Post
    Now THIS I agree with!

That first Best Of album was the very first VH album I heard, back around 1999. I was in my mid-teens then, and those two tracks were among my earliest favourites by Van Halen. Spent a number of my guitar classes working on "Can't Get This Stuff No More" then, and was so proud when I could finally reach from 5th to 12th fret on that main little run. Roth sounded great on those tunes as well.
    I loved that they got Al's drum sound right on those two tracks!
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

No cheer******s allowed!
    "Dumbest show on earth"? This, coming from a guy who saw Van Hagar in concert, back in the day...? I rest my point. But I'll correct myself and say they should play a full DLR solo tune, not just reference it.

Doubt that Ed would be "aping" Steve Vai's licks at this point either. Were it 25 or 30 years ago, definitely, he'd have outdone Vai at his own game if he wanted. But not at this point.
    You still don't get Eddie, at all, do you?

You still compare guitar players by how technically adept they are, instead of understanding they are different musicians.
    Why, in fuck's sake, would Eddie want to play Steve Vai licks in a Van Halen concert?
    It would be like Jimmy Page playing the "Shake me" solo, during a Zeppelin show?
    Stupidest comment i have ever read, without question.

As far as seeing Van Hagar, i'm not sure what point you are attempting to make.
    I love Eddie, wanted to see him play, and unfortunately, Sammy happened to be the singer at the time.
    Gee, sorry i wasn't able to work it out, so on that particular day, Ronnie James Dio was filling in.
    Shameful on my part!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Never gonna happen......more chance of them adding some slop like good enough, besides the EVH i saw in 08/12 couldnt play some of the stuff on EEAS nowadays.
    Why the fuck would he want to?

I don't hear EEAS played on classic rock radio in 2012.
    I do hear tons of Van Halen, though.

All you have done is shit all over Ed, since you got your panties in a bunch over a couple flubbed
    notes, during a solo in 2012.

Get over it.

Yours truly, As Is

All you have done is shit all over Ed, since you got your panties in a bunch over a couple flubbed

Get over it.
    And for all of his "superior" technical prowess, Vai to my ears, never did Ed's stuff justice. Particularly Unchained, atleast on the boot I have, it just does NOT sound right. Neither does Panama. And there are YT clips from the Dave tours where Vai is definitely no Eddie. And Al always did, and WILL, blow Bissonette out of the water! He's a great drummer, but no Alex.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Love ya moms......

Get over it.

Haha jeesh guy dont have a heart attack just because you feel ive insulted the mighty EVH.
    Just saying the Ed i saw in 08 and 12 might have trouble from a techincal standpoint of nailing shyboy,big trouble and ladies night note for note.

Permanent vacation
    You still don't get Eddie, at all, do you?
    In fact I get more than Eddie, grasshopper. That's why I look at the big picture as opposed to using rose-tinted glasses...
    Why, in fuck's sake, would Eddie want to play Steve Vai licks in a Van Halen concert?
    Because it'd sound killer, and Eddie being a lifetime musician probably appreciates Vai's talent, perhaps? I think you'd be the only one in the audience who would boo Van Halen for playing a cover song.
    It would be like Jimmy Page playing the "Shake me" solo, during a Zeppelin show?
    I'd welcome that, it'd be a good chuckle! Nothing wrong with throwing a surprise into the set list.
    Stupidest comment i have ever read, without question.
    Oh, I don't know about that. I registered at CVH three years before you did, back when I was an opinionated teenager. Dig far enough in the old posts and you might find some posts that outshine these ones!
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Permanent vacation
    That's because most of the music on EEAS is too intricate, with too many guitar and bass tradeoffs, etc... Most of today's youths -i.e. those raised on Nickleback- would just get lost in one of those old Roth solo tunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    And for all of his "superior" technical prowess, Vai to my ears, never did Ed's stuff justice. Particularly Unchained, atleast on the boot I have, it just does NOT sound right. Neither does Panama. And there are YT clips from the Dave tours where Vai is definitely no Eddie. And Al always did, and WILL, blow Bissonette out of the water! He's a great drummer, but no Alex.
    I'd be curious to hear Vai take a shot at a VH tune nowadays, in 2013. Wonder if his rhythm playing's gotten tighter!

Bissonette had a solo album about ten years back with a bunch of guest guitarists, that was pretty good... Played on some of Vai's Real Illusions album as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Haha jeesh guy dont have a heart attack just because you feel ive insulted the mighty EVH.
    Just saying the Ed i saw in 08 and 12 might have trouble from a techincal standpoint of nailing shyboy,big trouble and ladies night note for note.
    Completely agree!

~ William S. Burroughs

Yours truly, As Is
    That's because most of the music on EEAS is too intricate, with too many guitar and bass tradeoffs, etc... Most of today's youths -i.e. those raised on Nickleback- would just get lost in one of those old Roth solo tunes.

I'd be curious to hear Vai take a shot at a VH tune nowadays, in 2013. Wonder if his rhythm playing's gotten tighter!

Bissonette had a solo album about ten years back with a bunch of guest guitarists, that was pretty good... Played on some of Vai's Real Illusions album as well.

Completely agree!
    Dont get me wrong, I really do like Bissonette. He is a great player, and I like Dave's solo stuff. But Al is on a short list of drummer's who have been able to create a unique and instantly recognizable sound AND style. I dont put Bissonette in the same class, either as a "performer" or as a player.

Obviously, Vai is an incredible player. But EVH is a different animal. His rhythm playing and unique sense of timing and connection to Al is something that just cant be replicated, IMO. You're sarcasm is duly noted haha!

No cheer******s allowed!
    I'm convinced GF has lost his marbles.

Nobody would want to hear Eddie play a Steve Vai song, especially at a Van Halen concert.
    If he's gonna pay tribute, he's not going to pay tribute to a guy that came after him & adopted his style.
    If he's going to pay tribute, it would be to a guy like Clapton, someone that influenced him.
    It would be as ridiculous as Ritchie Blackmore covering an Yngwie Malmsteen song.

Again, STUPIDEST idea ever.

And Vai sounded awful apeing the classic VH stuff.
    I like Vai, but he was about as capable as CC Deville, in that respect.
    I have a couple boots from the EEAS era, not to mention seeing Roth live in '88.
    Vai is a completely different animal.

It's not just about who can tap 64th notes the quickest, GF, it's also about
    rhythm and tone.
    These things are the foundation of what makes Ed great, not just the stunt licks.
    I honestly do not think you hear the guy, at all.