Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Its offical.....NYC has outlawed sugary drinks over 16 ounces.
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Love ya moms......

Its offical.....NYC has outlawed sugary drinks over 16 ounces.

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/ne...-sugary-drinks

Or face a 200$ fine.............................................. ......................................New York City passed the first U.S. ban of oversized sugary . drinks on Thursday in its latest controversial step to reduce obesity and its deadly complications in a nation that is fatter than ever.

By a vote of eight members in favor, with one abstaining, the mayoral-appointed city health board outlawed sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces nearly everywhere they are sold, except groceries and convenience stores. Violators of the ban, which does not include diet sodas, face a $200 fine.

Opponents, who cast the issue as an infringement on personal freedom and called Mayor Michael Bloomberg an overbearing nanny, vowed to continue their fight, possibly by going to court in the hopes of blocking or overturning the measure before it takes effect in March.

This is unfucking believable that this is even allowed to fly.......Land of freedom my ass!

Yes, this is insane.

Here's the parallel in the gay marriage issue: 30+ states, including the most liberal state of California, voted down gay marriage. Yet the California court system found some loophole and legalized it despite the opposition of the citizens, and other states are following suit.

Citizens WANT to be able to buy and sell huge sugary drinks in New York, but now the mayor is going to lock that away for your own good.

Stick your penis in another man's butt, but don't drink a Big Gulp while you do it.

I really don't get where we're headed. Can't we just rewind to 1985 and put everything back where it was?

Band Manager
    My view points on this:

I'm half a health nut - so I wouldn't touch a soda larger than a 12oz. can - and that's only if I'm somewhere, say at a party - and there is nothing else to drink.
    I'd never purchase one so the ban doesn't effect me on a personal level.

As far as the freedom side of the issue goes - well, it's restricting what the vendor can sell - more correctly - the size it can sell and where.
    It's not telling the consumer he can't drink these type 2 depth charges - it just makes them less readily available.

One can still buy liquid candy bars (that's what they are, and that's why I don't drink them) in 64oz. quantities in the supermarket.

* Here is one way that this does get a bit personel for me:
    We send our kids to school with a juice pouch (juice isn't the greatest thing in the world either - but they're kids) and a water.
    Well, one of my son Deans' friends was giving Dean (age 10) a 24oz. Arizona Iced Tea every day!

So we as parents were trying to do our part, only to be thwarted by a kid who was bringing two 24 ouncers from home!

Like Mike
    No doubt America needs to tackle its obesity problem, but this isn't the right way to go about it.

Heil, mein Führer, Michael Bloomberg!

How can something like this happen in the United States of America? Seriously.

I know the law, friend.
    Finally something we can all agree on!!!! This is absolutely ridiculous. I have nothing more to add that y'all haven't already said. One of the most annoying things when I was in Ireland was the fact that all sodas were like 8oz. Drove me nuts! I'm not a big soda drinker, but I do like an occasional sugary drink, and I like mine in 32 oz and up at a shot! I'm a Texan now, and down here Mediums are 36 oz. Hey Bloomberg,

To your question, Wimpy, it's a State's Rights issue. I don't recall the specifics, but Utah and one of the Carolinas have funky laws on alcohol distribution quantities similar to this NYC soda quantity law. They're not saying you can't have soda, so they can get away with it. It's bullshit though. If a store wants to sell a certain size, they should be able to. If the customers buy it, they'll keep selling. If the customers don't, they won't. To me it's always been about education, not restriction. Look at the changes that McDonald's continues to make because America educated itself on the health, or lack thereof, of fast food.
    Last edited by cowboydan; September 14th, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Band Manager
    Quite ridiculous! I know we need to help the kids but I don't see this helping much.So they just drink two 12oz drinks now.I think not cutting gym class from schools would help more then this ban would.They need activity along with better diets.
    We had 64oz drinks when we were young but we worked them off.We didn't stare at a computer screen 24/7.While we didn't have the portion sizes the kids get now,supersized fast food,giant burgers at restaurants with endless fries and cokes,chilli cheese fries etc,and just some of the fattiest food ever invented,people have to be responsible for their own diets and not eat 5lbs of food at one sitting.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Our mayor, here in Boston, is also obsessed with obesity, but he's going about it in a much more
    constructive way.

During the Summer (and now into early Fall), they are offering free aerobic/kickboxing/fitness type, classes,
    outside at city hall.
    People really responded to it, especially if the key word is "Free."

Then, Wendy's countered, and offered free "Baconators" for one day, right in the same plaza.
    Again, people lined up, with "Free" being the key word.

But banning drinks, of any size, is over-stepping the line.
    People do not like being told, "No, you cannot, because i said so."
    Then again, anything over 16 ozs, is truly overkill.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Our mayor, here in Boston, is also obsessed with obesity, but he's going about it in a much more
    constructive way.

During the Summer (and now into early Fall), they are offering free aerobic/kickboxing/fitness type, classes,
    outside at city hall.
    People really responded to it, especially if the key word is "Free."

Then, Wendy's countered, and offered free "Baconators" for one day, right in the same plaza.
    Again, people lined up, with "Free" being the key word.

But banning drinks, of any size, is over-stepping the line.
    People do not like being told, "No, you cannot, because i said so."
    Then again, anything over 16 ozs, is truly overkill.
    I had Wendy's for the second time and my first Baconator on friday night.
    We don't have Wendy's in Australia.
    It's weird, at home I refused to eat junk food... First thing I land in the US and I'm stuffing myself with it.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    I had Wendy's for the second time and my first Baconator on friday night.
    We don't have Wendy's in Australia.
    It's weird, at home I refused to eat junk food... First thing I land in the US and I'm stuffing myself with it.
    Welcome to America!!!
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!