Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Ronnie Montrose considered David Lee Roth as a replacement for Sammy Hagar in 1975 - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    yer no fun, UG!
    Not many people remember the Styx, Van Halen, Leo Sayer, bill, from 1978.
    Leo convinced Tommy Shaw to play drums for Van Halen, while Eddie did his usual guitar bits.
    Al was so pissed he actually attempted to ambush Leo backstage, but actually punched an innocent
    Dennis Deyoung, instead.

DeYoung was so upset, he insisted Tommy write a song about the incident.
    The result?
    "Angry young man", one of Styx harder songs, dedicated to big Al.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Not many people remember the Styx, Van Halen, Leo Sayer, bill, from 1978.
    Leo convinced Tommy Shaw to play drums for Van Halen, while Eddie did his usual guitar bits.
    Al was so pissed he actually attempted to ambush Leo backstage, but actually punched an innocent
    Dennis Deyoung, instead.

DeYoung was so upset, he insisted Tommy write a song about the incident.
    The result?
    "Angry young man", one of Styx harder songs, dedicated to big Al.
    Oh, I heard about that too!

I've been afraid all this time to mention some of the behind-the-scenes/lesser known truths, because I didn't think anyone would believe me!
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Just stick to the facts.

Oh, the twists and turns of rock history!

No cheer******s allowed!
    In typical Sammy "the ego" fashion, 'Can't stop lovin' you' is actually written from the perspective of his poor ex-wife.
    She just can't stop lovin' Sammy, but who can?

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    In typical Sammy "the ego" fashion, 'Can't stop lovin' you' is actually written from the perspective of his poor ex-wife.
    She just can't stop lovin' Sammy, but who can?
    Everybody loves Sammy

And sticking to the hard facts involving the links in the 1970's between Van Halen and Montrose and between David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar.

It is a fact that in the 1970's, covers band, Van Halen, played 'Dancin' Feet' by Montrose at the yard parties in Pasadena.

More facts on the tumultuous year of 1975:

Warner Brothers Presents... Montrose! is the third album by the band Montrose. It was released on the Warner Bros label in September 1975.

It is the first Montrose album released after the departure of singer Sammy Hagar, the first Montrose album not produced by Ted Templeman, and the first Montrose album to feature a keyboardist as a full member of the band. Bob James, an unknown vocalist and songwriter from the South Bay area of Los Angeles who had been singing in a Montrose covers band, was chosen as Hagar's successor in early 1975. Another newcomer from Los Angeles, Jim Alcivar, joined the band on keyboards. At this juncture Ronnie Montrose parted ways with Ted Templeman and chose to self-produce the album.

The second half of the disc continues to explore diverse sonic territory with rockers "Dancin' Feet" (performed at the time as a cover song by Van Halen)

Band:

Bob James: Lead Vocals
    Ronnie Montrose: Guitar
    Jim Alcivar: Keyboards
    Alan Fitzgerald: Bass
    Denny Carmassi: Drums

Could easily have been:

David Roth: Lead Vocals
    Ronnie Montrose: Guitar
    Jim Alcivar: Keyboards
    Alan Fitzgerald: Bass
    Denny Carmassi: Drums

HARD FACTS AGAIN

This time in the words of the late Ronnie Montrose himself in Zlozower’s book, titled ‘Eddie Van Halen.

“The first tour I did with Van Halen, the bill was Journey, Ronnie Montrose, and Van Halen was opening. I was doing my instrumental music on that tour. Van Halen was a young, loud, and brash band, and I liked them. Eddie came up to me backstage at sound check and he called me Mr. Montrose. He shyly shook my hand and said, “Mr. Montrose, I’m Edward Van Halen, and I’m a big fan. We told Ted Templeman to get the Montrose sound when we did our record.” He also told me they used to play ‘Dancin’ Feet’ from one of the Montrose albums at their yard parties in Pasadena.

“I really enjoyed Eddie’s playing. What made Eddie special was his youthful irreverence for the rules. That’s what impressed me. He’d developed his own style. I think Eddie started out on drums first, and there’s a very percussive nature about the way he plays. He plays very metered and percussive, and he’s very fluid in that style.”

Oh, the twists and turns of rock history!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Nobody is questioning the influence Montrose had on VH, or the fact that they covered a couple Montrose tracks, in
    the club era.
    This is old news.

The DLR bit, however, i'm not buying.
    Roth does not seem like the type of vocalist Ronnie would pursue or consider, and i'd never heard
    Roth musing on the idea of almost joining Montrose.
    After Hagar got the gig with VH, Roth would have definitely brought it up.