Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

1981 Oakland Live DVD!!!!! - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpyliberalbuster32 View Post
    YES! I had posted this a while back and swore scenes from it were un-realeased. I still stand by that!

All the footage with "Sinner's Swing" playing under it is in the 3 videos we have all seen! I get the impression that they just filmed the 3 songs to make videos for their latest record, and filmed some additional "action shots" and filler, like some distance shots, the big VH lighted sign, some leaps from Roth etc, to fill out the video.
    The Oakland and Fresno (1979) stuff is so great because it is shot on film, as opposed to video. Video has zero magical qualities, film is pure magic.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Even though the clips from this show are cool and the whole show would be cool to see. Havnt we over hyped this a bit? I mean it has taken on mythical status. But???

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallonmusic View Post
    Even though the clips from this show are cool and the whole show would be cool to see. Havnt we over hyped this a bit? I mean it has taken on mythical status. But???
    That's what I think.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallonmusic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    That's what I think.
    Well then you two knuckleheads are off the Special Ops team!
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    Well then you two knuckleheads are off the Special Ops team!
    Damn....! Haa!

EVH diehard ...
    That's what I think.
    you and Mall may be right about this , but who knows ?

ADKOT had a lot of hype/doubt but proved a LOT of nonbelievers to be wrong !
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Like Mike
    I have my doubts that a complete show exists. I recall Roth mentioning technical difficulties from the first night, and I don't know that they filmed a complete show. There may just be the 3 songs they released, and some filler action footage to round out the videos. Film is expensive, and if they only intended to make some videos for "Fair Warning" they didn't necessarily film everything. I know people will hate me for putting this out there, but I have never heard anyone associated with the band claim to have seen, or worked with a complete show worth of film. If I am wrong, please direct me to an article or interview.
    Sum used to have the links to Warner Bros documents specifying the existence of the complete show in the vaults, or something like that. I don't know how to explain it.

Like Mike
    All the footage with "Sinner's Swing" playing under it is in the 3 videos we have all seen! I get the impression that they just filmed the 3 songs to make videos for their latest record, and filmed some additional "action shots" and filler, like some distance shots, the big VH lighted sign, some leaps from Roth etc, to fill out the video.
    The Oakland and Fresno (1979) stuff is so great because it is shot on film, as opposed to video. Video has zero magical qualities, film is pure magic.
    When there was a thread dedicated to this, a poster here, I think Wimpy, pointed out some moments that don't exist on those three videos that are in this one.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    We saw some pro-shot of "Sinner's Swing," from Oakland, a couple years back.
    It was bad audio, but the video seemed to be multi-camera (if i remember correctly).
    I think Oakland exists in pieces, with varying quality.

The three tunes from DK, though, were the best VH i've ever seen or heard!
    You can't beat those Oakland vids, they are in a class by themselves.
    The US FEST wasn't even close to those live vids.
    That would still make for a great release.
    Zeppelin put out pieces of shows in the Led Zeppelin DVD, and it put away all the whining of no footage without having to put in full shows.

Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    When there was a thread dedicated to this, a poster here, I think Wimpy, pointed out some moments that don't exist on those three videos that are in this one.
    Yep that was me, I tried tracking down the thread to find those exact moments but I can't find it.