Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Edward Van Halen - Ibanez "Shark" Destroyer (Matter + Photos)
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Band Manager

Cool Edward Van Halen - Ibanez "Shark" Destroyer (Matter + Photos)

Matter + Photos:

Link: http://van-halen5150.blogspot.com/20...d-destroy.html

Thanks my friends.
    Van Halen Blog 2.0 (New Blog):
    http://van-halen5150-br.blogspot.com/

Van Halen Blog 1.0:

Band Manager

Exclamation Search and Destroy

From the July 2011 edition of Guitar World:

Search and Destroy

Lost Photos Tell The Story Behind Eddie Van Halen’s Ibanez Destroyer. By Chris Gill

Guitarists attempting to duplicate Eddie Van Halen’s elusive brown sound on Van Halen’s debut album have gone to great lengths to build replicas of his trademark black-and-white Frankenstein guitar, but many overlook the fact that Eddie recorded about half of the album with an Ibanez Destroyer. The fat, ballsy tone of this mid-Seventies Gibson Explorer copy is heard on “Runnin’ with the Devil,” “You Really Got Me,” “Jamie’s Cryin’,” Feel Your Love Tonight” and “On Fire.”

The Destroyer allowed Ed to create sound effects that he couldn’t produce on the Frankenstein, such as the high-pitched metallic scrape on the “Runnin’ with the Devil” intro (performed by swiping the strings between the bridge and stop tailpiece) and the stuttering effect on the solo to “You Really Got Me” (produced by setting the neck pickup volume at “0″ and flicking the pickup selector switch).

Eddie drastically modified his Destroyer shortly after recording Van Halen by cutting a large V-shaped chunk out of the body below the bridge. While Ed loved the guitar’s new look (nicknamed “the Shark”), the experiment adversely affected the guitar’s tone.

Recently unearthed color photos of Van Halen performing at the Starwood Night Club in Hollywood in January 1977- taken by noted rock photographer Marvin Rinnig- reveal that Ed had made minor modifications to the guitar before recording Van Halen. While the Destroyer shipped with a clear, light-amber finish that made its Sen (Japanese ash) body look like Korina, Ed had the body, neck and headstock painted white. He also replaced the Gibson-style “top hat” knobs with knobs from a Stratocaster and swapped the original chrome-plated bridge for a gold-plated unit. The chrome-covered pickups appear to be stock, which suggests that the secret to Van Halen’s sound was more about his fingers and not some magical Gibson PAF humbucker.

Note: http://www.vhnd.com/2011/06/02/search-and-destroy/

Van Halen Blog 2.0 (New Blog):
    http://van-halen5150-br.blogspot.com/

Van Halen Blog 1.0:

Band Manager
    Finally! The photographer Marvin Rinnig sold one of those great color shots of the Destroyer that I posted about last year! Really cool! I'm getting a poster of this shot!

Just a slight correction to your blog...some of the photos you have included are actually of the BLACK Charvel Explorer style guitar with the bolt-on Danelectro-style neck that was played briefly before it became the "Snake" guitar...These were the shots:

Last edited by garbeaj; June 7th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.

Central Scrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Humberto5150 View Post
    Matter + Photos:

Link: http://van-halen5150.blogspot.com/20...d-destroy.html

Thanks my friends.
    Great job again, Humberto! There's a couple shots I had actually never seen before!
    WGAF?!!

Chief Fluffer Inspector
    Here's a better pic of the Charvel, pre-"Snake"... I believe this was shot at the Day on the Green..
    P.S. I KNEW I recognized those pics from you, Garb... He has some relly nice pre-WB pics & I'm glad you found/discovered them first!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KTC5150; June 7th, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
    THE WORLD AWAITS... RELEASE THE KRACKEN!!!

Doug from Oz
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi1152 View Post
    Great job again, Humberto! There's a couple shots I had actually never seen before!
    Same, lovin' it bad!! The Zloz book is gonna kick!!!

#1 Edward Clone Guitarist
    Inside 5150 collecting beer cans. Jamming out at 5150
    Fantastic job,Humberto.Theres some shots in there that havent seen the light of this century for God knows how long.Love the shots from the WACF photo sessions.Hmmmm, I wonder who has that video thats inside that camera mans camera?Could you imagine whats on that tape?! Theres gotta be a plethera of video archival footage of this band that is just sitting somewhere collecting dust,mold,no sunlight,and any other allergen known to mankind that will never be viewed or enjoyed by the diehards that have relished this band since its hayday.What a fucking shame!All we get from the key website is Happy New Year 2009.Janie,get on HIS ass and tell him to get a research team,some top of the line software,and start digging out these old films and pictures and use todays technology to clean up,restore to the best of ability and release this treasure trove on cd/dvd/boxsets galore out to the fans who have stuck it out all these years.Im getting older and greyer by the day and am still hanging onto my 1982 Largo Edward hairdo hoping that someday I can view this shit before I go to the grave.Cheers again,Humberto.And Jimi,great job on all your guitars and tone testing vids.Sound great.I gotta go back to the laboratory down in the basement and get this customers 71 Marshall Plexi back together,thats where Ive been lately.
    ARE YOU READY TO GET DOWN?! I GIVE YOU, THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN!
    "Its very simply the best guitar you can buy today"Anonymous circa 1983

Band Manager
    That article from the Japanese magazine where they desecrate an actual original Ibanez Destroyer and they turn it into a "Shark" guitar is really cool! Wish I had that mag! A translation of it would be even better

Chief Fluffer Inspector
    Here's a nice pic I found of Dave during those WACF photoshoots, I don't think I've seen yet!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    THE WORLD AWAITS... RELEASE THE KRACKEN!!!

Central Scrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    That article from the Japanese magazine where they desecrate an actual original Ibanez Destroyer and they turn it into a "Shark" guitar is really cool!
    Actually, the guitar that was transformed into a "Shark' was a Greco, not an Ibanez...

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Wish I had that mag! A translation of it would be even better
    That article is from this magazine...

I posted the article on another VH forum back in February of 2005...

WGAF?!!