Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Catfish
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catfish

No cheer******s allowed!

Catfish

We saw this on Saturday ("Catfish"), and i was extremely curious as it's all supposedly true & has an earth-shattering, mind blowing, shocking ending.

I won't provide a spoiler, but the film is a documentary-style, about a photographer who recieves detailed paintings of his photographs, from an 8 year old prodigy named, Abby.

He is impressed, and the two drum up a correspondence on Facebook.
    Soon, more paintings arrive, and soon he is "friended" by various members of this young girl's family: The mother, the father & her elder sister, who'm he begins to fall in love with.

They communicate on the phone, correspond on Facebook, and send suggestive photos to each other.

Enroute to a job, the photographer & is friends (the one's filming), decide to use GPS and pay an unannounced visit to this amazing family.

This is where it get's downright creepy, as they are lead to a farm, somewhere in rural Michigan.

And, soon enough, the truth is revealed in bits & pieces, who or what these people are.

I really liked it, and despite the differing opinions, i do believe this wasn't scripted.
    Judging by the reactions, i sensed it was all real.

This film does serve as a reminder to the anonymity of the internet, and the fact you never know who'm or what you may be corresponding with.
    And it also warns: For God's sake, don't go & try to track them down, because you may not know exactly what you might uncover!

Like Mike
    I saw a trailer for this and thought it was some sort of comedy spoof, and not a real movie (because I saw it on youtube). I'll have to check it out though... Sounds interesting.

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Sorry, man! When I 1st read the thread title, I thought about Catfish and his meeting with Alex Van Halen years ago.

Back on topic - do you have a link? Sounds like an interesting documentary stuff.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Band Manager
    Not a documentary, but made to look like one from what I understand. Very much like this other new movie The Virginity Hit. I'm sure the whole deal with Catfish is the whole thing is a trap to kill the guy and eat his flesh or turn him into a sex slave in an underfround lair of some sort...I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to see this movie. They can watch reruns of 'To Catch A Predator' on MSNBC if they want to be grossed out and disturbed by shit that comes from the internet...

An Eleven Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    We saw this on Saturday ("Catfish"), and i was extremely curious as it's all supposedly true & has an earth-shattering, mind blowing, shocking ending.

I won't provide a spoiler, but the film is a documentary-style, about a photographer who recieves detailed paintings of his photographs, from an 8 year old prodigy named, Abby.

He is impressed, and the two drum up a correspondence on Facebook.
    Soon, more paintings arrive, and soon he is "friended" by various members of this young girl's family: The mother, the father & her elder sister, who'm he begins to fall in love with.

They communicate on the phone, correspond on Facebook, and send suggestive photos to each other.

Enroute to a job, the photographer & is friends (the one's filming), decide to use GPS and pay an unannounced visit to this amazing family.

This is where it get's downright creepy, as they are lead to a farm, somewhere in rural Michigan.

And, soon enough, the truth is revealed in bits & pieces, who or what these people are.

I really liked it, and despite the differing opinions, i do believe this wasn't scripted.
    Judging by the reactions, i sensed it was all real.

This film does serve as a reminder to the anonymity of the internet, and the fact you never know who'm or what you may be corresponding with.
    And it also warns: For God's sake, don't go & try to track them down, because you may not know exactly what you might uncover!
    That's were the guy went wrong. You don't go to Meatchicken for nuthin'

Go Bucks!
    Doc

THEE bassist for VH
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Roth View Post
    That's were the guy went wrong. You don't go to Meatchicken for nuthin'
    Is that what they call it up there?

Thems fightin' words to Sikester!

No cheer******s allowed!
    I think garbeaj is misinformed (again!)

This isn't a horror movie, it's a documentary about a developing relationship over the internet, and the trust we put in people we've never met.

It's very real, and on many levels, very sad.
    Anyway, it's interesting how they catch some lies here & there, regarding the girl he has fallen in love with (she posts some "original" songs, that they soon find were stolen from youtube).
    But still, he is obsessed with this idea of her, that she is what she presents to him, although common sense is sort of steering him in another direction.

And despite the "little" lies, he is still driven to seek her out, in the flesh.
    Is she the woman in her pictures?
    Is there really an 8 year old artist prodigy, who'm he's comminucated with & seen photos of?
    Is the mother as beautiful as her self portrait?

Regarding the 8 year old, he learns she has her own gallery showing in Michigan.
    But when he contacts the supposed location of the showing, he learns the location has been vacated for years, with no activity.

And still...
    He is driven to seek this family out, despite a very unsettling feeling.

An Eleven Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    Is that what they call it up there?
    Amongst other things.

No cheer******s allowed!
    ...And when he shows up, unannounced, with the two guys shooting the documentary...

Well, this is where i truly feel this is not scripted.
    There is some genuine confusion, confusion that continues, as more bits unravel.

Will he come face to face with this woman he's shared intimate details of his life, with?
    Will she be as beautiful as her pictures imply?
    And what about the little girl & the mother?

An Eleven Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I think garbeaj is misinformed (again!)

This isn't a horror movie, it's a documentary about a developing relationship over the internet, and the trust we put in people we've never met.

It's very real, and on many levels, very sad.
    Anyway, it's interesting how they catch some lies here & there, regarding the girl he has fallen in love with (she posts some "original" songs, that they soon find were stolen from youtube).
    But still, he is obsessed with this idea of her, that she is what she presents to him, although common sense is sort of steering him in another direction.

And despite the "little" lies, he is still driven to seek her out, in the flesh.
    Is she the woman in her pictures?
    Is there really an 8 year old artist prodigy, who'm he's comminucated with & seen photos of?
    Is the mother as beautiful as her self portrait?

Regarding the 8 year old, he learns she has her own gallery showing in Michigan.
    But when he contacts the supposed location of the showing, he learns the location has been vacated for years, with no activity.

And still...
    He is driven to seek this family out, despite a very unsettling feeling.
    It sure sounds like a Blair Witch sort of "Documentary" to me. It does not surprise me how dumb we, as humans, really are.