Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
It Might Get Loud - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    THEE bassist for VH
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Brian May is such a class act & also such a great guitar player.
    I've always loved his phasing & his tone, he sounds like no one else.
    In an old interview, Eddie stated: "I love Brian, he gets a brown sound."
    Seems lke those two, along with Iommi, always got along.
    Seems like I've read that May's guitar that he's always used was handmade by him and his dad. There's something different about the wood than other guitars. Something special about it anyway.

No cheer******s allowed!
    It shouldn't sound as good as it does!
    They built it from a fireplace & used a knitting needle as a tremolo (or vibrola).
    It's baffling, but i guess his Dad must have known what he was doing.
    I think they wound their own pickup, too.

It looks like the neck is a baseball bat, really fat.
    But it all works & sounds amazing.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Ed's like, "That's nothing. Mine was called the 'dead special', and i built it from old tin cans & tennis shoes.
    The tremolo was an old, hardened piece of licorice, and the pickup was a routed out matchbox car, wound with fused together staples.
    That is the same guitar you first hear on "Runnin' with the devil."

I didn't want to be the first guy to shit on this movie, but after reading the reviews on Amazon and now on this site, I see I'm not. Yeah, I have to agree with what Unchained said. First, as I said before, Jack White had no place in this movie. At least U2 and the Edge, whether you like him as a guitar player or not, has been around 30 years and will be around 30 more. Jack White was the flavor of 2002, so his part is only going to look more and more dated as time goes on.

The flow of the movie was whacked, there was no sense of flow from one part to the other, no sense of an evolving narrative. So what did this say about the guitar? Nothing. And there's no preface given to some things like, so what was Headley Grange? Where Led Zeppelin IV was recorded. What's Epsom, England? Page's home town! So what's with this bulletin board? U2's drummer put up a flier there about starting a band that began their career!

I got the feeling Page respected Edge' success, but I was kinda amazed out of his huge record collection he had never heard "I Will Follow." I really wish he had heard the album version first because it was a kick ass way to start a career, just like "Good Times, Bad Times!" But yeah, the Edge's contribution to the guitar is nothing like Page's, except he's probably helped sell a lot of echo pedals. At least he comes across like a nice, humble guy, whereas Jack White is SUCH a PRETENDER, like he even knows he has no business being there. Looks like he gets his eyebrows waxed, too, for a Johnny Depp look, which says it all.

I've gotten more out of Guitar World interviews, and if they let ME conduct this interview and edit the movie, it would've been light years better.

However, again, to go inside Jimmy Page's record and guitar rooms, and to see the Edge revisit where his multimillionaire career started, this is the only place you're gonna get it. Unfortunately you have to put up with a poor sense of flow, social awkwardness and Jack White to get there.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I do like the Edge, and to this day, i think "The unforgettable fire" is ridiculously good.
    The guitar parts on things like, "Wire", "Bad" and "Pride" are unmistakable & absolutely perfect.
    No doubt, the guy HAD his own sound & approach.

Post Achtung, the Edge has gotten more & more generic.
    "Vertigo" has to be one of the most uninspired riffs i've ever heard, for such a huge hit.

Jack White is desperately attempting to build this mystique around him, yet he's so uninteresting & phony.
    From the way he talks to his mannerisms, it's just so fabricated.
    Jimmy Page had natural mystique, and the talent to make one want to know more about him.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I thought the Anvil movie was far superior, loved it.

As much as i dislike Jack White, i love his big sister, Meg.
    She has the nicest set of bongos, this side of Katy Perry!
    I do not like how rude Jack is to her, in the new White Stripes DVD.
    She's quiet & shy, and all he does is yell at her!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yabba Dabba Doo!
    Never had the desire to see it ... and still don't.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Never had the desire to see it ... and still don't.
    It's really geared towords the casual guitar player, or casual music fan.
    These are the sorts of folks that feel compelled to shout, "It was brilliant! The talent was fantastic!" after viewing this average film.
    They think they "get it," but they don't have any real sort of knowledge regarding the guitar & guitar playing.

The Weekly Dig, here in Boston, gave it a bad review & they nailed it!
    I love the comment about the Edge "fine tuning the sound he makes on every U2 album..."

Ah, just what we need. Another culture-paralyzing shout into the echo chamber of critical cacophony, lazily delivered by a member of the upper-class elite.
    Davis Guggenheim, of the furniture magnates, is a filmmaker with a shitton of money, so what does he do? He boldly follows around three rock guitarists, careful not to slip on the boomer drool, and gums up the overflowing documentary section with a slobbering tribute to already overly acclaimed men. I can somehow understand the devotion to Jimmy Page, he of slender build, he of dual-necked acid-head freakouts, but The Edge? In It Might Get Loud, Guggenheim gives David Howell Evans a full Burns treatment, and we get to see The Edge twiddling with millions of knobs to "fine-tune" that sound that he makes every time. Riveting. Jack White knows some old blues music, so of course he has a blank check to rip them off and ascend to the top of the white-man rock pile. In the end, it literally becomes a wank fest. Guggenheim somehow has the pull (ha) to get the three "living legends" in a room together, and they end up yanking on their own pud for an hour. The thousands of dollars of film stock goes to glorious angles of phallus fluffery.
    When they start re-inducting whoever-is-still-alive dinosaurs into the hall of fame for its 50th anniversary celebration, you can be sure Guggenheim will be backstage, training his lens on the colostomy bags of our ancient icons

That was great! Yeah, echo chamber -- nobody is going to say Jimmy Page and the Edge blow, and outside of certain circles even Jack White can escape criticism because, like the reviewer says, he knows a Son House tune or two and has produced at least one song with Loretta Lynn, so he's "genuine" and "rootsy," even if he's completely without talent.

Nice footnote on the director coming from a furniture business family. I've often wondered how people can afford to make these small-release movies that don't make much money. This one was done in the usual way -- he has a massive inheritance and it was either jacking his dick all day or making this movie.

But again, the Jimmy Page material is worth it.

I'm gonna get shit for this. But i'll take Jack White over the Edge any day. Just can't stand U2