Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

It Might Get Loud
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It Might Get Loud

I just finished watching "It Might Get Loud" minutes ago. This is the movie that is a three-way conversation between Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White about the guitar.

The cool parts were going inside Jimmy Page's guitar warehouse, where he played a really nice solo "Ramble On" through a Hiwatt. You also get to see him in his music room where he plays a Link Wray tune and air guitars along with it. The Edge takes you to the very high school bulletin board where he saw Larry Mullen's posting about forming a band, and the classroom where U2 first rehearsed, and the concrete slab where they played their first lunch time show. You also see the room where the Edge noodles through a bank of effects and comes up with the next U2 album while he watches the river go by.

The lame parts were any time Jack White appeared on screen. The guy at Blockbuster told me I might get into Jack White after I saw this. Sorry, but he strikes me as even more of a pecker than I thought he would be. Totally pretentious. At one point he's playing a White Stripes song and Jimmy is looking at him like, "Yeah, whatever. Who are you again?" Jack White has not had a success on the level of Led Zeppelin and U2, nor will he ever. Hate to say it, but it would've made more sense to have Dave Grohl or John Mayer as the third wheel in this movie!

But still pretty interesting , and the only way I'm going to get to go inside Page's house and see his shelves of guitars and amps. Anybody else seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    I just finished watching "It Might Get Loud" minutes ago. This is the movie that is a three-way conversation between Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White about the guitar.

The cool parts were going inside Jimmy Page's guitar warehouse, where he played a really nice solo "Ramble On" through a Hiwatt. You also get to see him in his music room where he plays a Link Wray tune and air guitars along with it. The Edge takes you to the very high school bulletin board where he saw Larry Mullen's posting about forming a band, and the classroom where U2 first rehearsed, and the concrete slab where they played their first lunch time show. You also see the room where the Edge noodles through a bank of effects and comes up with the next U2 album while he watches the river go by.

The lame parts were any time Jack White appeared on screen. The guy at Blockbuster told me I might get into Jack White after I saw this. Sorry, but he strikes me as even more of a pecker than I thought he would be. Totally pretentious. At one point he's playing a White Stripes song and Jimmy is looking at him like, "Yeah, whatever. Who are you again?" Jack White has not had a success on the level of Led Zeppelin and U2, nor will he ever. Hate to say it, but it would've made more sense to have Dave Grohl or John Mayer as the third wheel in this movie!

But still pretty interesting , and the only way I'm going to get to go inside Page's house and see his shelves of guitars and amps. Anybody else seen it?
    I have never liked Jack White!

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" - Spock

Like Mike
    My Dad imported it from the US on Blu Ray.
    The parts with Jimmy were heaven, and the parts with the Edge were suprisingly interesting aswell.
    But Jack White... Jesus.... What a douche.

No cheer******s allowed!
    After such rave, gushing reviews, i had high expectations for this flick, even pre-ordering from Amazon.

I didn't find it all that compelling, to be honest.
    The three of them together, it just seemed incredibly awkward & forced.
    Jimmy Page deserved better company, instead of the other two hacks.

The Edge is/was a good songwriter, but as a jamming partner (like in this flick), he looks as out of place as Miley Cyrus at a Metallica convention.
    He shows Page how to play, "I will follow," which was the most forced/wow, that's great! moment within the film.
    Without his bank of effects & delays, Edge is very uninteresting.

I recently purchased the new 'White Stripes' DVD, but ONLY because i absolutely adore Meg White.
    Jack White strikes me as incredibly pretentious, especially in "It might get loud."

Jimmy Page is royalty, leagues & leagues above any of these guys.
    Recently, i downloadd a few old FIRM boots, and when he hits those magic moments, the guy soars above & beyond most other musicians.
    Page would have been better served, surrounded by other legends.

But this film isn't anything special.
    I found myself getting bored here & there, especially with the big "jam session" at the end.

THEE bassist for VH
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    After such rave, gushing reviews, i had high expectations for this flick, even pre-ordering from Amazon.

I didn't find it all that compelling, to be honest.
    The three of them together, it just seemed incredibly awkward & forced.
    Jimmy Page deserved better company, instead of the other two hacks.

The Edge is/was a good songwriter, but as a jamming partner (like in this flick), he looks as out of place as Miley Cyrus at a Metallica convention.
    He shows Page how to play, "I will follow," which was the most forced/wow, that's great! moment within the film.
    Without his bank of effects & delays, Edge is very uninteresting.

I recently purchased the new 'White Stripes' DVD, but ONLY because i absolutely adore Meg White.
    Jack White strikes me as incredibly pretentious, especially in "It might get loud."

Jimmy Page is royalty, leagues & leagues above any of these guys.
    Recently, i downloadd a few old FIRM boots, and when he hits those magic moments, the guy soars above & beyond most other musicians.
    Page would have been better served, surrounded by other legends.

But this film isn't anything special.
    I found myself getting bored here & there, especially with the big "jam session" at the end.
    I'll have to agree with your review, even if I haven't seen it. I was thinking it would probably go like that too. I thought pairing those three guys up was a definite mistake. Page does deserve better company. He's ten times the player they are. And master producer.

No cheer******s allowed!
    That's a good point, as he is also an incredible producer.

All the big reviews seemed to overlook how awkward the chemistry was between the three.
    Page was being his usual polite self, but you could see it on his face:
    "These guys are nothing special, why are they here?"

Why this director chose to pair Page with the Edge & Jack White, is beyond my comprehension.
    Suppoedly Jack White is the guy picking up the gauntlet, yet he's nowhere's near Jimmy in any sense.
    I guess the Edge is the middle, the bridge between punk & classic rock (or so they say, as U2 never struck me as either).

Pair Page up with Beck or Clapton, Van Halen, Tony Iommi...
    Guys with histories as guitar heroes & songwriters.

THEE bassist for VH
    Yeah, I agree that he should have been with some of his peers his age. I would have definitely liked seeing that!

No cheer******s allowed!
    I'd love to see one with Brian May, Edward Van Halen & Tony Iommi.
    Or maybe, Jeff Beck, Edward & Brian May.
    Those would both work!

THEE bassist for VH
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I'd love to see one with Brian May, Edward Van Halen & Tony Iommi.
    Or maybe, Jeff Beck, Edward & Brian May.
    Those would both work!
    That's a good idea. I wonder if there's any footage of Ed and Brian working together on their Starfleet Project? Never thought about that before now. Another good thing to have added to the boxset that we'll never get!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Brian May is such a class act & also such a great guitar player.
    I've always loved his phasing & his tone, he sounds like no one else.
    In an old interview, Eddie stated: "I love Brian, he gets a brown sound."
    Seems lke those two, along with Iommi, always got along.