Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Is Deep Purple better than Zep?
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!

Is Deep Purple better than Zep?

Arguably, Highway Star & Space Truckin' are the defining moments in that era of hard rock, above anything on Zeppelin IV.

Would this be accurate?

Purple had a drummer on par with Bonzo, though Ian Paice is technically superior, as is Blackmore to Page.
    Gillan could easily out shriek Plant & retained his vocal prowess much longer.
    One Roger Gover does not match JPJ, but Jon Lord certainly does on the keys.

Thoughts?

Space Truckin' seems to be as potent as ever, even in 2007.
    Just heard it on the radio & typed out these thoughts...

Am i fulla shit?
    Am i evil? am i a pathetic little man?

...or...

am i on to something?

*** EDWARD!!! ***
    I say you're onto something... but it could get ugly... possibly could lead to yet another cvh.com meltdown! But hey, It ain't my thread this time!

But no you're not fulla shit. Purple cooks. I grew up listening to it. And I think it's up there with Zep.
    Edward is KING!
    He can do
    NO DVD!
    NO BOX SET!

NO WRONG!

http://www.evhgear.com/

aD*A*M*M*society
    This message is hidden because isum12? is on your ignore list.
    *Powered by BBL 2.0
    *1965-2009 *** MOFO *** Innovations ltd. P.A.F.

"Space Truckin'." There's the answer right there. What a ridiculous title for a song! Can your music really last 100 years with titles like "Space Truckin'?" I don't even know what tape it was my friend use to have, but I know there was another one called "Lazy" on it. And of course I've seen the video for "Highway Star" several times. I don't hear anything there rocking the Zep throne at all, though I know Deep Purple fans really resented Zeppelin back in the day.

So they had better chops. So does Dream Theater. So did Racer X. Mr. Big. As a guy on DinosaurRockGuitar.com so aptly said, "There are a million guitar players who could shred Page under the table who haven't written anything worth listening to once, let along forever." No other band I know of, not even a band with 20 minute epics like Yes, has touched the impact of something like "In the Light" or "The Rain Song." Led Zeppelin were just at a whole different level.

Permanent vacation
    I prefer Purple, though their studio output was never as consistently good as Zeppelin's.

Both were (are) great live bands with a rather indulgent side to them (30 minute noise-fest versions of 'Space Truckin'' or 'Dazed and Confused' with the violin bow schtick.) I prefer live Purple in their prime to Zep though. Picked up the 3CD version of Made In Japan awhile ago, and it's a blast hearing how different each rendition of the songs are... different screwups, different solos. Always preferred Gillan to Plant as far as frontmen were concerned too. More of a banshee range, and better banter between songs. Some of his lyrics on the later stuff are pretty good too.

I find Purple has more dirty diamonds to discover in their catalogue though. Not quite as pop oriented as Zep. 'Into The Fire', 'Fools', 'Bloodsucker'. They're also one of the few groups to replace a core member (Blackmore) and actually put out better material and performances afterwards.

I guess for me, it's like the difference between the Stones and the Beatles. Purple are the Stones, rough around the edges rock that doesn't change much over the years, but just sounds better as the years go by.

Zep on the other hand are like the Beatles. Unique, a bit more experimental, but overplayed and a bit dated sounding.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I dont care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

At the cost of sounding completely obnoxious:

ARE YOU KIDDING??!!!

Deep Purple have their moments, no doubt. But are they better than Zeppelin?

Oh my god.......NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by littledreamer
    At the cost of sounding completely obnoxious:

ARE YOU KIDDING??!!!

Deep Purple have their moments, no doubt. But are they better than Zeppelin?

Oh my god.......NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I totally agree. Purple has there great moments, but Zeppelin has more great moments. I totally disagree with you (unchained) saying that Purple's drummer is up to the level with Bonzo. There are only 2 people who come close to bonzo, one better than JB, Neil Peart. Alex in 3rd. That guy who ICM was talking about is completely right, Page is not the best guitar player of all time, not even close. But, I would be suprised if you can find a better writer. The man is a geneous, listen to Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" - Spock

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation ...

I like both bands and I can't say which one is better.

Great studio bands and great live bands as well like said before.

I think that something that is good for me can't be for someone else. It's a question of personal taste.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. MASSEY
    Page is not the best guitar player of all time, not even close. But, I would be suprised if you can find a better writer. The man is a geneous, listen to Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.
    If you are talking about the lyrical part of 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You', Jimmy Page didn't write that. Led Zep covered that song. Read all about it here
    http://wm08.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...3:gcftxzq0ld6e

As far as the arrangement of the song that was Jimmy Page's/Led Zep's

Metal Up Your A$$!

Thumbs up

Thanks for the link, Lil'dreamer.
    Very nice reading in there.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Roadie
    I agree with Simon. It's a question of personal taste.

I prefer Purple a hundred times over Zeppelin, but i can't deny the influence of Zep. Even Purple was influenced by them. So...

"Machine Head" over "IV" any day, any time.

I agree with Unchainedguitars that Ian Paice is better than Bonzo. Paice is so underated. Just listen to "Burn" or "The Mule" to see what i am saying. The only drummer that i think that is better than him is king Peart. Bonham was good, but i think that he is overated.

Plant or Gillan? this one is hard. I like them both. However, Gillan vocals on "Knocking At Your Back Door" made me a Purple fan.

Page or Blackmore? Blackmore. No doubt. Page is great, but Ritchie, for me, is up there with Eddie. Purple is nothing without him.

Jones or Glover? Jones.

Deep Purple also, in my opinion, has the greatest live album ever.

Both great bands, but for me, there is no comparisson: Deep Purple. Only Van Halen is better than them to me.
    Last edited by Highway Star; December 17th, 2007 at 09:04 AM.
    "I understand about indecision
    But I dont care if I get behind
    People livin in competition
    All I want is to have my peace of mind".