Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question for the young kids here...

are any of you, like me, in the midst of applying for college/waiting for answers from colleges?
    A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.
    Frank Zappa

No cheer******s allowed!
    Nope. I'm not.

David Lee Roth Bodyguard
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishfly
    are any of you, like me, in the midst of applying for college/waiting for answers from colleges?
    I remember that whole experience of waiting for those UCCA (University Clearing Admissions) letters to come .. thats some nerve-racking shit alright.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I always said, "Learn a trade!"
    Become a welder.

Yea, I just can't wait for it all to be over
    A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.
    Frank Zappa

Due to firsthand experience I've got doubts about what a college degree does for you. I went to college and even did a lot of internships, etc., but now I work with a lot of people who either don't have degrees and in some cases for all I know may only have GED's (high school equivalency diplomas).

Many jobs now are pushbutton, Windows-based jobs. They can hire someone from the ghetto for $10 an hour, or even better hire someone in Bangladesh for $2 an hour, and get the job done. When you come in in your khaki pants, dress shirt and tie, with your degree under your arm, you're exactly what they don't want: some "smartass college boy" with $50,000 a year dreams, or even $35,000 a year dreams.

Do you like headsets, telephones and customer service complaints? If so, you've got the goods to work with me!

No cheer******s allowed!
    I dropped out of college, which i regret, yet they still see me as a manager where i'm working. My boss was talking to me & mentioned if i continue as i've been i can get a decent jump in salary (hopefully move out of this ghetto that i live in, in the process).
    I guess all these company people just want experience, experience, experience.
    The thing that strikes me as strange is that i have a guy with a master's degree working below me! That is completely screwed up.
    All these Xmas hires have college degrees and are begging to stay on & employed doing this rather routine job.
    I still believe George Bush completely screwed up the job market for all these people and had a hugely negative effect by simply not caring.

Permanent vacation
    I'm still waiting on letters of reference from professors. trying to finish the application / statement of interest forms for a couple of MA programs. Need to have them in by the 15th to be eligible for funding. Looking at Ottawa, Toronto, Glasgow, and Archangel as possible schools.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars
    I still believe George Bush completely screwed up the job market for all these people and had a hugely negative effect by simply not caring.
    What a totally ludicrous statement!

Presidents get way too much credit when the economy's good, and too much blame for when it's tanking.

Presidents don't have as much influence on an economy as people think. The world is too big for that. And there's just too many factors involved to say that one person wields that much influence on a nation of 300 million people.

Is George Bush supposed to assign jobs to 200 million people, or whatever the total workforce is?

I don't like jobs going overseas either, but it's the big businesses answering to their stockholders, that are screwing up the job market by squeezing every red cent out of their workers.

Politics have virtually no role in this.

At one of my old jobs, most of our inventory was produced by steel plants that the owners owned--in Communist China--I've seen pics of how the workers there live--once in awhile they get a slaughtered pig to have some meat to go along with their rice. And the owners are Democrats. So to say that the big bad evil Republicans are the only ones causing the job exodus to other countries is ridiculous.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

siN / DDLR Moderator

David Lee Roth Bodyguard