Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I cannot understand how Clapton continues to be fawned upon and lauded. I definately do not think he is the best guitarist. No way.

Santana should not even be on this list. How many decades has he farted out fragmented, non-climatic solos?

I always had a soft spot for Jimi and SRV because they were good frontmen as well as being exceptional guitarists. I think they deserve extra regard for taking on that big responsibility.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I agree with Ironica, as i've seen a few ferocious clips of EVH in 2004, though largely he was inconsistent.
    With all due respect to people like Sum, etc, you guys are not players & don't really have the knowledge to see the differences in technique & musicality between a Hendrix, a Page or a VH.
    If this list is an accurate representation of the best guitarists, Ed would be on top, no question.
    This has nothing to do with 2004, but everything to do with their overall body of work as guitarists. So what Ed did two days ago has little bearing on what he has achieved throughout the length of his career.
    Zakk Wylde, who knows great players & happens to love Jimi himself, always stated EVH had no peers.
    He makes a great point when he says that 'Jimi couldn't play Spanish Fly...' Neither could Jeff Beck, Clapton or Jimmy Page.
    Those guys just do not have the skill Ed had as a guitar player, though all were/are amazing musicians.
    They can't play Ed, but Ed could easily play anything by Jeff Beck, Blackmore, Clapton, etc. There's no doubt in my mind.
    So, cheers to Ironica, because he is absolutely correct!

The Sugared One
    where the hell is cc deville??!

is this some kind of sick joke?

No cheer******s allowed!
    CC just missed the list & hovered in at number eleven.
    Jimmy Page was later heard cursing the judges in regards to the former/current? Poison axe man:
    "How can CC be overlooked!?" He exclaimed, "This guy made me want to play again after i heard 'cry tough' back in 85."

Band Technician
    Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page are the original guitar gods of their generation. Then Jimi Hendrix changed everything. And then along came Eddie Van Halen, who like Hendrix, changed the landscape of guitar. To me these lists are useless, because of the time differences between everybody.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Your right, man.
    Jimi was absolutely groundbreaking for the late 60's, as Ed was ten years later. Some might say Yngwie upped the game in the 80's, but his songwriting paled in comparison to both Hendrix & EVH.

Band Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars
    Your right, man.
    Jimi was absolutely groundbreaking for the late 60's, as Ed was ten years later. Some might say Yngwie upped the game in the 80's, but his songwriting paled in comparison to both Hendrix & EVH.
    I agree Unchained. Yngwie did put a twist on the ax, but his songwriting wasn't the best. The whole Bach n Roll thing was his mark and was cool at the time.

Permanent vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars
    This has nothing to do with 2004, but everything to do with their overall body of work as guitarists. So what Ed did two days ago has little bearing on what he has achieved throughout the length of his career.
    IMO, that works against Ed, in that you have to count the Van Hagar discs into it - 4 discs of bland, formulaic, and forgettable pop rock.
    Zakk Wylde, who knows great players & happens to love Jimi himself, always stated EVH had no peers.
    Zakk Wylde talks from his ass... the guy is a solid guitar player, but he's one of the biggest one-trick pony's in the metal genre... the guy's only contribution has been that hideous trademark harmonic squeal. Who is he to look to as an authority?
    He makes a great point when he says that 'Jimi couldn't play Spanish Fly...'

They can't play Ed, but Ed could easily play anything by Jeff Beck, Blackmore, Clapton, etc. There's no doubt in my mind.
    Well, there's plenty of doubt in my mind! Ed can't play the blues (as those three did) to save his life. Never could. The Starfleet project is probably the best proof of this, IMO... And especially Beck's later, more modern records, peices like 'Blackbird', 'Nadia', 'Roy's Toy'... I just can't see it. Too much of a rocker, not enough of a creative instrumentalist.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

No cheer******s allowed!
    I strongly disagree with the assessment that Ed cannot play Blues.
    I thought his starfleet solos sounded like a different player altogether, though he still had his sound. It was great Blues soloing to my ears & very exciting to listen to, as well.
    Ed also did a blues improvisation as part of his 1984 solo piece, with Al backing him on dreams.
    EVH is far more than just speed and tapping if you really listen.
    His phrasing on all those early records (Outta love again, in a simple rhyme, fools) is very claptonesque, though far more interesting.
    When you hear Ed you can hear that he started out playing lots of Blues, something he's stated in lots of the old interviews.
    A lot of what separates Ed from other technical players like Vai & the like, is his warm phrasing & bluesy touch. You can always hear the roots of his playing.

David Lee Roth Bodyguard
    I agree with unchained's last post.

Ed's playing is beyond judgment with any particular medium, it's a futile argument to compare strictly blues type player's to Ed's free-form musicallity... but here we are again, arguing and picking holes in my main man's undoubted genius... another excuse to bash his Highness (lol).