Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Top 10 guitarists according to MSNBC.
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Band Manager

Top 10 guitarists according to MSNBC.

Pretty good list (presumably in order) of the top 10 guitarists.

Eric Clapton
    Jimi Hendrix
    Duane Allman
    Jimmy Page
    Jeff Beck
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Eddie Van Halen
    Carlos Santana
    Brian May
    Keith Richards

You can find the link by going to the "Duane Allman Remembered" article here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15427375

Then click on the slideshow. Interestingly enough, I have kindof ignored the Allman Brothers. I think they're good, but never just fell for them. I guess I need to familiarize myself more with Duane Allman. He may be the only one on that list that I haven't really followed.
    Hey Hey Mama said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove

No cheer******s allowed!
    Eddie Van Halen slays them all, including Jimi & Beck.
    My list would be: Edward, Jimmy Page, Jimi, Blackmore, Rhoads, Frehley, Beck, Clapton, Townshend & Richards (tyed), Joe Perry.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars
    Eddie Van Halen slays them all, including Jimi & Beck.
    My list would be: Edward, Jimmy Page, Jimi, Blackmore, Rhoads, Frehley, Beck, Clapton, Townshend & Richards (tyed), Joe Perry.
    Yeah. But gotta show some love to Brian May and SRV. I really dig SRV. For years. Love his style. His approach to music. The way he plays fast blues, slow blues, jazz-influenced instrumentals. He could play some things that could just send chills up your spine. It was because of him that digging into Joe Bonamassa was an easy leap for me to make.
    Hey Hey Mama said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove

Permanent vacation
    If I had to use only those 10, I'd probably arrange them as such:

Jeff Beck
    Jimi Hendrix
    Eddie Van Halen
    Duane Allman
    Brian May
    Carlos Santana
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Eric Clapton
    Jimmy Page
    Keith Richards
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

David Lee Roth Bodyguard
    Is this list the final result ? - I voted on this thru vistadelrey's thread .. last time I looked in Ed had 22% of the votes, followed by JH with 21%.

My Top Ten (from that list) would be;

1) Eddie
    2) Hendrix
    Oh .......... where's Zappa, Satriani, Townshend & Blackmore ?

THEE bassist for VH
    If you want Duane Allman's best work Mean Street, get Derek & The Dominoes.

I don't think I would say that Ed slays them all now unchained, as he's lost his chops. A few yrs. ago, I would have agreed with you. I disagree with you about Beck, as he's never lost interest in the guitar and keeps getting better with age as far as improvising.

David Lee Roth Bodyguard
    Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2!
    If you want Duane Allman's best work Mean Street, get Derek & The Dominoes.

I don't think I would say that Ed slays them all now unchained, as he's lost his chops. A few yrs. ago, I would have agreed with you.

If all those on that list were handed a guitar and told "Now play !!!" - half of em' would turn round to look for a drummer and the remainder would all be playing electric Blues (inc. Hendrix) - Eddie would sound in and devistate them all.

Permanent vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by IronicA
    If all those on that list were handed a guitar and told "Now play !!!" - half of em' would turn round to look for a drummer and the remainder would all be playing electric Blues (inc. Hendrix) - Eddie would sound in and devistate them all.
    Not if it's the 2004 Eddie we're talking about...
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

David Lee Roth Bodyguard
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfreak
    Not if it's the 2004 Eddie we're talking about...

Any Eddie.......2004 Eddie, 4 times as drunk, stoned, sleeping, 1 handed, no amp and playing a skateboard with 6 elastic bands stretched along it.

Permanent vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by IronicA
    Any Eddie.......2004 Eddie, 4 times as drunk, stoned, sleeping, 1 handed, no amp and playing a skateboard with 6 elastic bands stretched along it.
    Now that's just silly-talk...

~ William S. Burroughs