Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Greatest Rock Guitarist ... Right Now

I know many see EVH as the highpoint of rock guitar. If I didn't agree, I wouldn't have had such an interest in VH over the years.

But ... in terms of the here and now, who do you think is the best (or are the best) at playing rock guitar. Right now! The general thought seems to be that Eddie lost a lot of his chops, made famous years ago. So if Eddie is not anywhere near the same level, who is at the top of his or her game?

I thought about but could not pick anyone as a standout guitarist.

Wow good question. I don't know many good guitar players now.

Resident Moron
    i dunno. Zakk Wylde isnt that bad, but ive only heard his ozzy stuff. a lot of classic rock/metal guitarists arent as good as they were. either that, or theyre dead. im going to have to go with zakk wylde cuz hes one of the last of a breed.
    I'm different. y'hear?

I'd have to go with Sammy Hagar. Just kidding.

I haven't seen them live in ages, but are Satch and Vai are still playing at the same level? They seem like the type of guys whose skills are maintained and kept true.

I've posted this guy's video a couple of times before. I just found out about him as a poster on the Line 6 forum, but apparently he's well-known in the Netherlands:

Marcel Coenen

This guy is also really, really good and the guitars he builds are unbelievable!

Jeff Miller
    Last edited by Ice Cream Man; November 3rd, 2006 at 11:27 PM.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Edward Van Halen.
    Paul Gilbert is ridiculously good, especially on his new CD.
    Zakk is sick, but he gets boring playing the same lines over & over.
    Nuno is still awesome...and Lynch.
    Eric Johnson is a God to me. Love his new disc.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars
    Edward Van Halen.
    Paul Gilbert is ridiculously good, especially on his new CD.
    Zakk is sick, but he gets boring playing the same lines over & over.
    Nuno is still awesome...and Lynch.
    Eric Johnson is a God to me. Love his new disc.

I couldn't agree with you more on Zakk. I think his highpoint was during the first two albums he worked with Ozzy. But we are talking about several years gone by, well over a decade. Despite what some have said, that he would be the most appropriate replacement for Dimebag if Rebel Meets Rebel or -god forbid-Pantera ever went on tour, I personally cannot see him pulling it off (although Dimebag's widow/girlfriend says Zakk is the best out there today).

I love Eric Johnson too. His music is a bit on the feminine side, yet his tone is memorable. He doesn't need to shred to get his point across - and very convincingly I might add. You rarely ever find him masturbating on the board , yet he is generally held in high esteem. And that fact says a lot about the quality of his music and playing. Texas seems to produce some great guitarists.

Permanent vacation
    Of the new guys? Slim pickings... I like Buckethead and Ron Thal for their solo stuff... Gn'R, their playing is pretty conservative.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Shit, how could I have forgotten about Buckethead?