Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Backing Vocals
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backing Vocals

Roadie

Backing Vocals

Man these guys could sing. I am still in shock at how good the 3 part harmony and background vocals were in Classic Van Halen. Even Alex sang in
    Happy Trails... Is anybody else blown away by the fact that not only did they smoke us with instruments but also with their voices.. I often wondered did this come naturally or were they given lessons? Set up by Ted and Donn???
    Showbiz is so Thrilling, The Camera Rolls she's Willing!
    OH No! They Won't Believe It When they! OH NO! See what Their Seeing. Go See Baby Now!

I agree, Happy Trails is an excellent display of their awsome ability. I also read somewhere that Ed was acutually going to be the lead singer at one point, but then they found David Lee Roth.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by zozo5150
    I agree, Happy Trails is an excellent display of their awsome ability. I also read somewhere that Ed was acutually going to be the lead singer at one point, but then they found David Lee Roth.
    Ed did sing for a while, but Alex knew he wasn't cutting it. They were renting Roth's P.A. system for $10.00 bucks a shot and decided it would be cheaper to just get him in the band.
    "December 16th, the Dude abides..."

Permanent vacation
    I always dug the backing vocals for the early VH stuff, especially live. It wasn't perfect, but it was pure, rough-around-the-edges rock and roll... my favourite for the backing vocals though, was always the early Aerosmith stuff. Loved the whiskey-laced, out of sync backing vocals to that lineup in its prime...
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I dont care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Groupie
    Whiskey...I've always loved the CVH backing vocal sound...the ooohhhhs and aahahahhhhs in the background are like silk...besides Ed's guitar work ..I've always believed that the extra polish of there background vocal sound is what set them apart from the rest of the pack of loud guitar with frontman screaming formula...I've always dug Micheal Anthony's vocal range....that guy can break a wine glass with his range!!!!
    Old Van Halen makes you wanna drink,dance,and screw,right? And the New Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan,and have a relationship!
    David Lee Roth

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by MAMMOTH 5150
    Whiskey...I've always loved the CVH backing vocal sound...the ooohhhhs and aahahahhhhs in the background are like silk...besides Ed's guitar work ..I've always believed that the extra polish of there background vocal sound is what set them apart from the rest of the pack of loud guitar with frontman screaming formula...I've always dug Micheal Anthony's vocal range....that guy can break a wine glass with his range!!!!
    Michael Anthony-Cannonmouth! If you listen carefully, you can tell how Ted Templeman made the best out of the vocals by blending the end of a phrase by Dave with the awesome backing work of Mike, Ed and Al(?). there was nothing like the sound of VH. God, I wish we had some stuff like that nowadays. Not to sound like an aging rock and roller, but I really miss the music of the seventies and early eighties.
    "December 16th, the Dude abides..."

Metal Up Your A$$!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outtalove
    Michael Anthony-Cannonmouth! If you listen carefully, you can tell how Ted Templeman made the best out of the vocals by blending the end of a phrase by Dave with the awesome backing work of Mike, Ed and Al(?). there was nothing like the sound of VH. God, I wish we had some stuff like that nowadays. Not to sound like an aging rock and roller, but I really miss the music of the seventies and early eighties.
    Yep, I also miss those days as much as I miss The Real Van Halen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Band Technician

Unhappy

I always thought Van Halen had the best backing vocals in the biz. Listen to Dance the Night Away, Simple Rhyme or Women in Love. Outstanding! It is great how they all got invovled with it to. Great example of rock back-up vocals. I wish the kids today had such talent! I miss those days to -
    Last edited by Scottie Hutch; October 19th, 2006 at 12:02 PM.

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation ...

Man, I love the backing vocals for "I'm the One", "Jamie's Cryin' ", "Outta Love Again", "Romeo Delight", among many others. Even the simple ones like "Secrets" or "Girl Gone Bad" are awesome stuffs. Funny; "Atomic Punk" ain't got background vocals.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro
    Yep, I also miss those days as much as I miss The Real Van Halen.

Yeah i miss the REAL VAN HALEN too. I wasn't born in the seventies or eighties but I do like classic stuff better than the stuff thats out here nowadays,not that i dont like new bands out there but classic stuff is legendary.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN