Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Dio: Holy Diver.
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    Band Manager

Dio: Holy Diver.

I got this from Amazon.com today in the mail. Am now listening to it for the second time. Loving both Ronnie's vocals and Vivian Campbell's guitar playing. I have had "THe Very Beast Of Dio" for years now. It's a good compilation and 4 songs from Holy Diver are on it: namely "Stand Up and Shout", "Holy Diver", "Straight Through the Heart" and "Rainbow in the Dark". But I wanted the album for other songs. "Gypsy, "Caught In The Middle" and "Don't Talk To Strangers". Very well done album. Another new addiction, along with the Gary Moore album I have. But I am really digging Dio. It's ironic. After some of the shit with Ozzy, I can't listen to anything he did outside of Black Sabbath. But I am listening to Dio much more than Ozzy anymore. Particularly his three classic albums: Rising with Rainbow, Heaven and Hell with Black Sabbath, and Holy Diver with Dio.
    Hey Hey Mama said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    He's got Holy Diver Live which just came out not too long ago--the 1st CD is Holy Diver, live, and the 2nd CD is the rest of the show.

Hearing it just confirms that Dio needs Campbell to make some damn good music, much like another certain band we're familiar with...
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

siN / DDLR Moderator

Metal Up Your A$$!
    Quote Originally Posted by NE169
    He's got Holy Diver Live which just came out not too long ago--the 1st CD is Holy Diver, live, and the 2nd CD is the rest of the show.

Hearing it just confirms that Dio needs Campbell to make some damn good music, much like another certain band we're familiar with...

Agreed. Just listened to these stuffs and heard that Dio is about to come to Brazil (So Paulo) maybe next month. I own both Holy Diver and Last in Line.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Roadie
    Killer album. I was just jamming along to Don't talk to strangers when i opened this thread. Its definately worth buying the album for those extra tracks street. "Don't talk to Strangers", "Gypsy" and "Invisible" are some of my fav tracks from the album, along with of course "Holy Diver", "Rainbow in the Dark" and "Straight through the Heart". Its just an all round amazing hard rock album, every song is top class. Dio is on top form and Viv Campbell is just a young prodigy, totally awsome, some of the riffs were actually written by Dio and it shows in their simplicity but Viv still shines, his finest hour (why did he have to blow it by settling for playing RHYTHM in leppard... he had some serious chops).

The 3 Classic Dio albums are all in my top ten of all time. This is the weaker of the 3 imo, but that is no insult by a long way, Heaven and Hell and Rising are just amazing. What a singer. And dammit how many AMAZING guitar players has he had. Some of the best of all time (and of course THE best Ritchie B)

I Love 'Em..I Need 'Em...
    Are you sure DIO wrote VIV's riffs?? I don't believe that for a second. That's like saying OZZY wrote some of Randy's riffs. I just don't believe it at all. I love DIO and all of these albums. They rocked my ass off for 5 of the best years of my life in the mid 80's. Where would I be without them???? I would have probably been a geek wearing sweaters and running track involved with the glee club back in high school. LOL!! Thank god for DIO and Vivian.
    Short note here.... I met DIO at a Holiday Inn 2 blocks from my apartment in CT when I was in the Navy back in 1989-90. Very very nice bloke. To say he was kind is an understatement. Class act all the way. His lyrics about Dragons and Kings and Warlocks and such crack me up today.....He must have slayed many a dragon in his time LMAO!!!!!! I also love all his Sabbath material. Neon Knights floors me to this day!!!!

"I want a run for my money thats all"

Roadie
    I am definate Dio wrote some of the guitar on holy diver. Theres a full interview with him on the remastered CD and he talks about how he wrote some of the guitar parts. Viv probably funked them up a bit but some were definately written by Ronnie. If you actually look at it lots of the riffs are very simple. I can see Dio writing the Holy Diver riff. Dio is actually a pretty good guitarist/bassist supposedly. I know when he and Iommi were writing the new material for this Sabbath mk2 compilation Ronnie jammed on the bass while Tony riffed.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by NE169

That being said, would you still recommend the live album. The soundbytes were pretty good. Not as good as the original versions. Partly because Ronnie doesn't hit as high as he used to (although he does pretty well still). And he doesn't have Vivian Campbell. Though the soundbyte for "Man On The Silver Mountain" sounded pretty good.
    Hey Hey Mama said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    Mmmmmmmmm--that's a tough one--I torrented that, so it didn't cost me anything I already deleted it.

If you want to buy it, buy it used--for me, it's a listen to it once, and that's it.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

siN / DDLR Moderator