Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    Bop bada, shoobe doo wah

GARY CHERONE Dives Into MIKE PORTNOY's Drum Kit: Video Available

video clip of DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy and guitarist Paul Gilbert (MR. BIG, RACER X) destroying their instruments at the conclusion of the debut performance by their THE WHO tribute band AMAZING JOURNEY also featuring Billy Sheehan (MR. BIG, DAVID LEE ROTH, TALAS) and Gary Cherone (VAN HALEN, EXTREME) at The Center Theater Stage in Whittier, California Saturday night (May 27) has been posted online at this location. The clip also includes Cherone's already-legendary full-body dive into Portnoy's obliterated custom-made drum set, which resulted in Gary busting the back of his head open and bleeding all over the drums.

CalProg security manager Gruno had previously stated about the incident: "Gary flipped over the drums and his back landed on a mic stand and one of the bass drums. The back of his head landed flat against the back of the toms. He was knocked out briefly (maybe three seconds max) as I was on stage left and he had this bewildered look when he came to. He sat motionless for another few seconds. After they exited the stage, I had to get Portnoy's stick bag for him and there was blood all over the drums. He was okay with some ice and towels in the dressing room."

Christopher Petro captured the moment in full color at this location. More pictures can be viewed by clicking here.

AMAZING JOURNEY will perform two more shows this week:

May 30 - Chicago, IL
    Durty Nellie's
    180 N. Smith Street
    Palatine, IL

May 31 - New York City, NY
    B.B. King Blues Club
    237 W. 42nd St.

The complete setlist for the Whittier show can be found here.

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    I've known about these shows for a couple months now, and I've been to Durty Nellie's before--it's a roadhouse type of place--if it were on a weekend, I'd probably go see it
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

siN / DDLR Moderator

Metal Up Your A$$!
    Thanks for the info and for the link, Ryan.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Bop bada, shoobe doo wah
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro
    Thanks for the info and for the link, Ryan.
    You're welcome. I thought it was kind of a crazy video!

Roadie
    Sweet vid. How much does Gilbert look like Townsend...
    Gary looks like a total tool throughout that whole thing. Standing round with a tambourine... Then trys to do something mildly interesting and just looks like a fool splitting his head open... Pretty good singer but he must have the worst stage presence I've ever seen.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I gotta give him credit for splitting open his head, though.
    Sammy would never get that outta control, no matter how many tequilas he slammed.

Band Manager
    They are still gonna play their other gigs with Gary? Damn. That's dedication on Gary's part.

I heard about this. I would love to get the DVD or CD when Portnoy puts it on his website of one of these Who shows. He already has them for the Beatles and Zeppelin.
    Hey Hey Mama said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    I'm hoping somebody torrents one/all of these shows before then.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!

siN / DDLR Moderator

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Street
    They are still gonna play their other gigs with Gary? Damn. That's dedication on Gary's part.

I heard about this. I would love to get the DVD or CD when Portnoy puts it on his website of one of these Who shows. He already has them for the Beatles and Zeppelin.
    It's only 3 shows total--DT's still doing their 20th Anniversary tour far as I know.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!

siN / DDLR Moderator