Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
"Jump" sounds like "Dirty Mind" by Prince
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've been a Prince fan as long as I've been for Van Halen. Prince's third album Dirty mind came out in 1980. The title track I've discovered after some listening has definitely influenced the main groove and keyboard riff on Jump. Both Prince and Van Halen were Warner Brothers most bankable acts in the eighties. Prince obviously the most funky musician of that era mixed rock and raw funk like no one else could imagine. Except for the mighty Van Halen. Edward is clearly very influenced by alot of funk music. No other rock band could emulate them because of Ed's funky phrasings and pocket grooves laid by his brother. Both funk trademarks.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Meanstreet is funk meets metal!
    Eddie's keyboard work sounded as white & souless as the partridge family ( see "love walks in.")

Metal Up Your A$$!
    "Mean Street" is the fusion of two tracks; "Voodoo Queen" and "She's the Woman". Both had that funky groove. :184:
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

THEE bassist for VH
    Originally posted by unchainedguitars@Dec 7 2005, 09:39 PM
    Meanstreet is funk meets metal!
    Eddie's keyboard work sounded as white & souless as the partridge family ( see "love walks in.")
    :85: Prince also stole Apollonia Kotero away from Dave. Lucky little bastard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No cheer******s allowed!
    I always wanted Vanity, from Vanity 6 (another Prince related girl group).
    I had her Playboy spread way back. She was hot, if i recall correctly. :eeas:

I once asked Dez Dickerson who was the guitarist in Princes band from 78-83, if they had ever met or jammed with anyone in Van Halen. This was the exchange :

Matocaster

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:37 pm Post subject: VanHalen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Dez,
    Thank you for a glimpse into your world. Your book was written with great detail and at times made me feel like I was there to! I learned to play guitar trying to cop licks from The Revolution and VanHalen. Thanks for contributing to my musical education. Prince and Van Halen were Two of the greatest acts ever and were both on Warner Bros. I've always wondered did you guys ever meet or jam together ? You must've dealt with some of the same people over at WB. I'm just curious.
    thanks,

Mat

DezD
    Site Admin

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:32 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mat,
    My wonderful wife and I had the pleasure of hanging out with VanHalen during one of their tour stops in Minnesota back in 1983.
    We met a number of other WB artists back in those days as well as a who's who of funk and rock royalty (most of it chronicled in my book). We never really jammed with anyone else, though - Prince never had the whole band jam with anyone else. It wasn't until I left and went on tour with Billy Idol that I had more opportunity to jam with other folks.

Thanks for your comments.

Dez

Metal Up Your A$$!
    Hey, thanks for this post, Matocaster. Very interesting stuff.
    BTW, Welcome to CVH. Enjoy the board! :184:
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Roadie
    I always wanted to meet prince just so I could hit him in the face.....
    Who da fuck are you??
    --sean van halen

Band Manager
    God....it's so frightening to me that this subject has come up! :scared: I swear to God, I had this sex dream about Prince one night last week. Why, I have NO idea, because I've never found him attractive, or was even much of a fan. I liked a few songs off Purple Rain and 1999, but never enough to buy the album. Anyway...it wasn't even a GOOD sex dream. In fact, it was actually a nightmare! He had a penis like one of those little pencils you use to mark your lottery ticket, and this hair-do that spiders could nest in. Yet for some reason I had to pretend to ENJOY having sex with him. Oh...it was AWFUL!

THEE bassist for VH
    The weirdest thing happened when this album came out, I was living in Dallas at the time and freakin' cowboys were diggin Purple Rain! What ever happened to Mama, Don't Let Yer Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys?

Let 'em pick geetars and drive them ole' trucks

Don't let 'em grow up to doctors and lawyers and such

Where's that damn fiddle player? :lol: