Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Paris Is Still Burning
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    THEE bassist for VH
    Paris bans weekend gatherings By Kerstin Gehmlich
    1 hour, 39 minutes ago

PARIS (Reuters) - Police banned any gathering that might provoke disorder in Paris this weekend, saying they had been warned violence was planned for Saturday after two weeks of rioting across France.

ADVERTISEMENT

The intensity of France's most serious unrest in four decades has dropped since President Jacques Chirac's government adopted emergency measures including curfews on Tuesday to curb unrest by youngsters complaining of racism and unemployment.

But there was a rise in violence in suburbs of the capital overnight. Police said 463 vehicles were set on fire across France, a slight fall from the previous night, but the number of vehicles torched in the areas around Paris rose from 84 to 111.

"This confirms the downward trend overall, with some resistance in the Paris region," national police chief Michel Gaudin told reporters on Friday. "This weekend we will exercise extra vigilance in the Paris region."

Police said the Paris ban would run from 10 a.m. (0900 GMT) on Saturday to 8 a.m. (0700 GMT) on Sunday.

Some 3,000 police officers were mobilised in the capital, and forces were increased in other French cities, police said.

Bomb squads with police dogs were out in force and riot police looked on as Chirac attended remembrance ceremonies at the Arc de Triomphe in central Paris to commemorate Armistice Day, which marks the end of World War I in 1918.

The unrest has eased from a peak on Sunday night. Police hope it will continue to drop during the Armistice Day weekend, when offices close and city centres are less crowded.

Some 200-300 residents of riot-torn suburbs staged a peace protest by the Eiffel Tower in central Paris on Friday afternoon, calling for an end to violence and urging the government to listen to the angry youths. Fewer people showed up than expected.

Protesters held up banners declaring "Yes to peace" and "No to violence." "I am against the violence but I think the government must react to the poverty in the suburbs," said Adama Drame, a 24-year-old Frenchman of African origins.

FEARS OF VIOLENCE IN PARIS

Paris police chief Pierre Mutz banned the transport and purchase of petrol in jerry cans after a string of arrests in the capital of people carrying firebombs. He also says he fears violence is being planned in the capital itself.

"Calls have been launched over the past few days on Internet sites and by SMS messages urging meetings within Paris and calling for 'violent actions'," Mutz's office said.

Violence in the Paris area has been largely confined to the suburban housing estates far from the city center. The rioters are youngsters who say they are angered by racism, high unemployment, poor prospects and harsh treatment by police.

In the capital itself, life has continued as usual.

Chirac and the government have been heavily criticized over their handling of the crisis. But an opinion poll carried out by the BVA research group on November 4-5, and published on Saturday, showed 56 percent of French people approved of Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy's tough actions.

Fears that the violence would spread across Europe have proved unfounded, despite isolated cases of youths burning cars in Germany and Belgium.

In Greece, groups of anarchists broke windows, threw paint and spray-painted "Rioters Are Right" on the front of a French cultural institute, police said on Friday.

Violence in France fell after the emergency powers announced by Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin allowed local officials to impose night curfews, though few have felt the need to do so.

Police said 201 people had been detained overnight but unrest was more scattered than on previous nights. Cars were set on fire in Toulouse, Marseille, Strasbourg and Mulhouse.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051111/...rance_riots_dc

What sparked this? Anyone?

David Letterman joked last night that this would be one more thing the French will try to blame on the U.S.

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    It's terrorism.

Disguised as riots.

Look at who's doing the rioting--unemployed, disillusioned, Moslem punks :angry:

They're claiming that life ain't fair, people look down at them, and so on...

What the press, for the most part, is leaving out, is the fact that they're Moslem--and THEY DO NOT WANT TO ASSIMILATE IN ANY WAY, IN THE COUNTRY THEY'RE LIVING IN!!!!

They refuse to learn french, though they've lived there their entire lives--they're not looking for work, even though unemployment is about 10% in France.

In the long run, they want to take over Europe, and then the world. they want people to convert to Islam, and if not, they'll cut your throat. Even if you do, they still may cut the throat!!

It's almost like the illegal Mexicans coming over here and refusing to learn English, except that these Mexicans are still willing to work, and they also don't necessarily want to cut your throat because they also come from a Christian-based society.

I'm reading a book called Eurabia, which shows how Europe has slowly been putting itself at the mercy of Arabs, without even realizing it. Arabs have been willing to export people as a source of manpower, and oil, in exchange for European support of its anti-Semitic policies and the eventual eradication of Israel.

The book is much more than that, but for all the shades of grey in the world, sometimes it's really clear to see things in black and white.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

siN / DDLR Moderator

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    And here's an "I told you so"

France should finally understand that the terrorists don't really give a shit whether or not France supported the Iraq war.

This is what happens when you APPEASE someone--you think they'll stop--WRONG--they want MORE, and they'll get it because they know you're too gutless & cowardly to stop it.

They know recent French history better than some French--Vichy France in WW2??

Jacques Chiraq & the Prime Minister, Dominique de Villepinhead deserve this--well not really, but it couldn't have happen to anyone more deserving--you know what I mean!
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!

siN / DDLR Moderator

Band Manager
    Originally posted by NE169@Nov 12 2005, 05:26 AM
    It's terrorism.

What the press, for the most part, is leaving out, is the fact that they're Moslem--and THEY DO NOT WANT TO ASSIMILATE IN ANY WAY, IN THE COUNTRY THEY'RE LIVING IN!!!!

You are spot on Ne169. I see this every day. We've had rioting in Birmingham the last few weeks, between Muslims and the black community, You know, bricks through property and business windows, looting, murder and stabbings, cars over turned and burnt out. This all happened in Aston, one of many areas of the city now dominated by the muslims, Thankfully Brum's a big place and my family like most others have moved away from these areas many years ago.
    We do worry a lot about the current situation, theres a lot of muslims over here and they 'do not' want to be part of the community. Everyone else gets on with one another no problem, we all work together and mix well for the most part.
    I've actually seen and commented on here before about some of the problems we have over in britain, or 'the land of milk and honey' as the thousands of muslims getting into the country each week call it. When it finally happens, its going to go off big time. From what I see everyday, theres got to be more muslims here than the government are telling us?

As For 'Vichy France' Ne, What a bunch of ass wipes they were. You know the french still hold a grudge for sinking their Mediterranean Fleet in WW2, yet we asked them to hand the fleet over. What was we suppost to do, let the french fleet fall into the hands of Hitler? I think not. So we blew them out the water, Did they honestly think we had the same attitude to war as them?
    Anyway it wasn't the first time we destroyed the odd french fleet, 'Trafalgar' springs to mind.
    I dont want to see Rioting in france, no one deserves that, but when france went against us over iraq, I said at the time 'what goes round comes around'.

This week Tony Blair failed with a new bill for holding suspected terrorists for 90 days and this was on the recommendation of the police force. The public are furious mp's went against Blair on this one, but hay, they only represent the people!

Brum, the birth place and home of Heavy metal music, and the occasional twister.

Al says 'Rules is rules and if there isn't any rules then where would we be? thats right; France!'
    Australian women, genetically bred for bar work! cheers.
    http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lze...arch=aerosmith
    "Thats captain Jack sparrow"

No cheer******s allowed!
    It was noted in an editorial in a prominent Boston newspaper that what's happening in France will eventually come to the good, old U.S. of A.
    There are too many people without income, without means to combat skyrocketing necessities like health care, heat, and gas prices. People are becoming more & more frustrated with the Government's complete disregard of the middle class, and it's obvious disinterest in the lower class.
    George W. Bush has made it crystal clear who benefits from his idiotic presidency.
    It's eventually gonna come to a head, and people are going to express themselves in the worst possible way. If no one cares about them, they certainly will not think twice about destroying and looting.
    I'm not even talking about the muslims, just the disenfranchised, and the millions that are fucked over every single day by the "fine" men & women who run this country. It sad that so much greed can poison this beautiful country.

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    Originally posted by stevanroth@Nov 12 2005, 05:20 PM
    This week Tony Blair failed with a new bill for holding suspected terrorists for 90 days and this was on the recommendation of the police force. The public are furious mp's went against Blair on this one, but hay, they only represent the people!
    I read this, too, and was absolutely astonished, especially in light of the attacks earlier this summer... :huh:
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!

siN / DDLR Moderator

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    Originally posted by unchainedguitars@Nov 12 2005, 06:09 PM
    It was noted in an editorial in a prominent Boston newspaper that what's happening in France will eventually come to the good, old U.S. of A.
    There are too many people without income, without means to combat skyrocketing necessities like health care, heat, and gas prices. People are becoming more & more frustrated with the Government's complete disregard of the middle class, and it's obvious disinterest in the lower class.
    George W. Bush has made it crystal clear who benefits from his idiotic presidency.
    It's eventually gonna come to a head, and people are going to express themselves in the worst possible way. If no one cares about them, they certainly will not think twice about destroying and looting.
    I'm not even talking about the muslims, just the disenfranchised, and the millions that are fucked over every single day by the "fine" men & women who run this country. It sad that so much greed can poison this beautiful country.
    Conservative guy that I am, I didn't vote for Bush this last election.

I told myself that the only way I wouldn't vote for Bush, is if he lost the ability to "connect" with the average person. It's something "you just know", go by what your gut feeling tells you.

His dad lost it in his presidency, and after Ross Perot, was the reason why he lost to Clinton.

Bush has acted more like Kerry than himself this second term, the Iraq war & Supreme Court nominations excepted.

And as bad as Clinton was, and compared to Bush's first term, W will go down in history as a lousy president--even with 9/11 "helping" his place in history.

Bush has fucked over his conservative base big time in less than a year (I'm not talking "religious right", but just those who believe in doing the right thing, regardless of party--the religious right ain't gonna vote for Kerry, so I don't think they were much of a factor as people might think).

I decided about a year and a half ago, that Bush was out of touch with those who put him in office.

Unfortunately, I proved myself right. It won't surprise me to see the GOP take a big hit in 2006 and 2008. It already happened in Illinois in 2003, with the Democrats sweeping all but one statewide office. If Bush doesn't learn from Illinois' problems, he & the GOP will repeat them in the next few years.

And anybody who thinks this is "free market" economics in regard to energy, is full of shit!! It's almost an oligarchy, just like the presidency has become!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!

siN / DDLR Moderator

No cheer******s allowed!
    Yeah, i'm certainly a democrat, but even i have been disillusioned by the sheer lack of guts within my party.
    And, man, i have friends (two) that are republicans, and those guys deserve so much better than Dubya. NE169 you deserve better than the current commander in chief.
    I always admired Senator John mccain (did i even spell his name correctly?), and that individual was tough & smart.
    There's gotta be better choices for both our parties, but sadly, there wasn't.

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    I wrote in McCain last year, but now, in light of his stance on illegal immigration, and the way he screwed up the Supreme Court nomination process (he led the so-called group of 14 in the Senate Judiciary committee into a de facto having them decide who'll be on the Supreme Court, instead of the President nominating, and the entire Senate giving their "advise & consent")--I wish I could take back my vote.

The GOP gave Clinton his choices for the Supreme Court without much of a fight (and they're far more extreme tha Bush's nominees), and unless the Democrats find something disqualifying--they won't, they should allow the vote to proceed before the full Senate.

If you don't like him, fine, but let all the Senators vote.

I'll probably vote for Giuliani, or someone like Rep Curt Weldon out of Pennsylvania--both are leaders, and have the guts to do the right thing when it ain't popular.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!

siN / DDLR Moderator

Dance Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by NE169
    Conservative guy that I am, I didn't vote for Bush this last election.

I told myself that the only way I wouldn't vote for Bush, is if he lost the ability to "connect" with the average person. It's something "you just know", go by what your gut feeling tells you.

His dad lost it in his presidency, and after Ross Perot, was the reason why he lost to Clinton.

Bush has acted more like Kerry than himself this second term, the Iraq war & Supreme Court nominations excepted.

And as bad as Clinton was, and compared to Bush's first term, W will go down in history as a lousy president--even with 9/11 "helping" his place in history.

Bush has fucked over his conservative base big time in less than a year (I'm not talking "religious right", but just those who believe in doing the right thing, regardless of party--the religious right ain't gonna vote for Kerry, so I don't think they were much of a factor as people might think)....

....And anybody who thinks this is "free market" economics in regard to energy, is full of shit!! It's almost an oligarchy, just like the presidency has become!!!!
    Fucking A!

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars
    There's gotta be better choices for both our parties, but sadly, there wasn't.
    I hear you Brother! Where are the "better choices"?

BTW, Still rioting in Paris, just a different reason! Those wacky french!
    Last edited by punkatomic; April 4th, 2006 at 05:03 PM.
    Daniel (1994-2013)