Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jump....

Roadie
    Keyboard settings...... I've messed around with a couple keyboards and I have never been able to get the 'Jump's sound....
    Who da fuck are you??
    --sean van halen

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    Um, we don't have a keyboard shop!!
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

siN / DDLR Moderator

No cheer******s allowed!
    That riff sounds so dated in comparison to eddie's guitar sound.
    I like "I'll wait", but just the melody. I never understood why the man was so obsessed with these dinky little moog excursions.
    1984 just sucks until 'Panama' kicks in! 1984 itself, the track, is a completely pointless way to open a VH record. Volume swells on a keyboard, how intriguing.
    1984 was the beginning of the end, though i love the rest of that album.

Mr Mod Extraordinare
    The original version of 1984 is supposedly an hour long--obviously that wouldn't fit too well on vinyl, though!
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

siN / DDLR Moderator

No cheer******s allowed!
    I know, i heard some obscure demo that had him noodling away for what seemed like an eternity! LOL. He would play the riff to jump after twenty minutes of keyboard volume swells. At home, that's fine, but even a minute of it on 1984 seems self-indulgent.
    At least, with "cradle will rock" the sound he is creating is so original and ballsy, it's the perfect way to introduce a new VH record.
    But, again, '84 smokes with the rest of the album (girl gone bad, hot for teacher, etc.)

Metal Up Your A$$!
    Originally posted by unchainedguitars@Sep 22 2005, 04:58 AM
    I know, i heard some obscure demo that had him noodling away for what seemed like an eternity! LOL. He would play the riff to jump after twenty minutes of keyboard volume swells. At home, that's fine, but even a minute of it on 1984 seems self-indulgent.
    At least, with "cradle will rock" the sound he is creating is so original and ballsy, it's the perfect way to introduce a new VH record.
    But, again, '84 smokes with the rest of the album (girl gone bad, hot for teacher, etc.)
    Whoa! Where did you get this? I heard something about a live version of "1984" with 4 or 5 minutes long. And the "1984" 01 hour story is true, according to what Eddie used to say in those days. Hey, Unchained; do you still got the copy of it? I read that Don Landee just recorded what Eddie was doing inside his studio and the result was the long version of that track. Then the band went cutting it until it finished with the 01 minute and some seconds it was released. :184:
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

No cheer******s allowed!
    Hey Simon, this was on a Maxell cassette tape that my good friend Sean, promptly lost. I had this tape and other assorted live boots from 78-84, that were recorded for me buy my very first guitar teacher in the mid eighties! My teacher happened to be an Eddie Van Halen maniac, and the guy made me some copies of the tapes he had. This was all pre-compact disc, so they went from sounding very rough to pretty decent.
    Anyway, those '84 demos had a bunch of instrumental dubs of 'Panama' and these endless keyboard jams. I swear one take went on and on and on, until he finally plinked out the opening notes of 'Jump.'
    I've since recovered many of these boots on CD, but those '84 studio sessions were never replaced. Quite frankly, i haven't really looked for them!

Groupie
    Well, the sound for Jump is very simple.

SawWave. I believe it is the patch 081 in a standard MIDI keyboard.

Roadie
    Originally posted by kernkraft@Sep 25 2005, 12:40 PM
    Well, the sound for Jump is very simple.

SawWave. I believe it is the patch 081 in a standard MIDI keyboard.

thanks kernkraft..... 1984 (the opening track) always caught my interest, it is very creative to me that is, but the jump sound was always cool to me, I read somewhere that Eddie first did it on piano, and everyone looked at him and was like no, then he went to the keyboard....
    thanks
    Who da fuck are you??
    --sean van halen

Metal Up Your A$$!
    Originally posted by unchainedguitars@Sep 24 2005, 02:13 PM
    Hey Simon, this was on a Maxell cassette tape that my good friend Sean, promptly lost. I had this tape and other assorted live boots from 78-84, that were recorded for me buy my very first guitar teacher in the mid eighties! My teacher happened to be an Eddie Van Halen maniac, and the guy made me some copies of the tapes he had. This was all pre-compact disc, so they went from sounding very rough to pretty decent.
    Anyway, those '84 demos had a bunch of instrumental dubs of 'Panama' and these endless keyboard jams. I swear one take went on and on and on, until he finally plinked out the opening notes of 'Jump.'
    I've since recovered many of these boots on CD, but those '84 studio sessions were never replaced. Quite frankly, i haven't really looked for them!
    Thanks, J-man. One question: do you still the tape or maybe Sean? Is it possible to make a copy of it? I'd be very interested on getting something so rare, man! :184:
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC