Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Women & children first
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Some call this dawn of the decade release, sloppy, unlistenable, or even just uninspired. Other's consider this to be a prime representation of the true spirit of Van Halen, and possibly the closest thing we have to a Roth-era 'live' album.
    That may be the case, as i'm sure there are fewer overdubs and studio fix-its on two sides of vinyl, as there are on the first three tracks of 'Right here, right now.'
    But wasn't that the point of classic Van Halen? Capture the energy, spontanaeity & rawness of the stage, and transfer that magic to 33 rpm.
    What seems unattainable, Van Halen did effortlessly with their third release.
    "Everybody want's some!!" seemed to be created with the arenas in mind, as their is plenty of room for Dave to deliver a mid-song monologue.
    "Romeo Delight's" sheer velocity would be the blueprint for an inspired set opener.
    And "Take your whiskey home" is the equivalent of ZZ top on steroids.
    What else could a young fan want, having heard and seen it all in the late seventies?
    As i spin the remastered edition of "women & children first" on my CD player, i can't help but imagine what these same concert goers would think now?

No cheer******s allowed!
    What's my point? Ahhh, i had one, somwhere along the way.
    Oh yeah, Women & children is a great record!

Band Manager
    I find myself inclined to agree with your opinion. If one cannot see the fire in that album, then they must be dead.
    Hey Hey Mama said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove

Band Technician
    I think WACF is the best album that Van Halen made.
    Great songs, great guitar playing and Roth is singing his lungs out !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everybody wants some ! I want some too !

Roadie
    I love that album, it's awesome. Well, what else could you expect from Classic Van Halen?
    Then the old guy goes, "Now boys, before I hand over the keys, you've got to promise me that you'll handle this car responsibly and follow these 3 simple rules. Rule number 1: No sex in the car. Rule number 2: No drugs in the car; and rule number 3: No rock and roll in the car. Can you boys promise me that?"

Roadie
    Edward.....thank you
    Don't forget the chugfest that is Loss Of Control
    I'm no gynaecologist,but i'll have a look!

80's metal head!
    Originally posted by Stuglue@May 12 2005, 10:29 PM

Don't forget the chugfest that is Loss Of Control
    'Loss Of Control' has the sad distinction of being the only (classic) VH track I don't actually like!!!!

WOACF though not a great album is still a very good one, with some classic VH on offer such as 'Everybody Wants Some!', 'Fools', 'And The Cradle Will Rock', the fabulous 'Romeos Delight', but my personal favourite is 'In Simple Rhyme'-perfection. :184:

http://www.georgevader.co.uk
    (my movie review blog)

Metal Up Your A$$!
    Women and Children First - Van Halen's first all-original album. 2 and 1/2 weeks to be recorded. A poster of Diamond Dave - image captured by Helmut Newton. The most exciting photo section in all the Rock'n'Roll History. Awesome songs - can't find the better one. Light and Power alive. The Brown M&M incident. Classic Van Halen as its best...
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Favorite VH album. Isn't that guitar that Eddie is holding Chris Holmes' from WASP?

THEE bassist for VH
    Love this album when it came out! I was in high school at the time, it still rocks, all these years later! It's Van Halen at their peak if you ask me, a lot of people will tell you Fair Warning, but this is the one where all of them shine! I can't get enough of this one! Great singin' great playin'!

I'm yours, in a simple rhyme!