Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
VHI strat set up?
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For many years I have tried to duplicate the sound of Eds strat on the first album. I pretty much went along with the template that Edward described in numerous articles about how he picked up the ash body and maple neck from Lyn Elsworth blah blah blah because the wood was no good in his 60 strat. I am coming to the conclusion now that the Lyn Elsworth story is not entirely true. It might be in some respects, but I don't think it was the guitar he played on the first album. Anybody who knows Ed's attitude towards his gear knows that he loves to steer people in the wrong direction. Here is a shot of Ed at the Whiskey possibly around 76-77 with the Franky in a state that I believe was used to record the first album. Its probably the alder body 60's fender strat and not an ash boogie body. Note that the guitar is black. All Ed had to do is slap on the tape and paint on the white. There is a warmth in the sound of that strat on the first album that is very difficult to duplicate with an ash body and maple cap neck.
    Last edited by Atlantica; November 3rd, 2006 at 04:39 AM.

And here is a shot of the guitar just before he painted on the red. It appears that he has put all the original parts back in. It looks terrible with out the pen stripes.
    Any thoughts or facts to add to my theory?
    Last edited by Atlantica; November 3rd, 2006 at 04:39 AM.

Yabba Dabba Doo!
    Interesting theory ... makes sense to me.
    Though I'd probably be more interested in the zebra pickup that Eddie has in there.

The pic of Eddie's black strat must be pretty rare.
    I've never seen that one before.
    Thanks for sharing.

No cheer******s allowed!
    It's always weird to see him play a strat with a rosewood neck, and not the usual maple.
    I think a lot of his sound is just in his fingers & the way he attacks the strings.

Originally posted by unchainedguitars@May 8 2005, 01:25 PM
    It's always weird to see him play a strat with a rosewood neck, and not the usual maple.
    I think a lot of his sound is just in his fingers & the way he attacks the strings.
    Yes yes yes quite indeed. Eddies attack is how he gets half his sounds. My friend actually did have pretty much the same setup. Variac and guitar parts everything. Same wood. Same marshall from the same year with the some adjustments made to it. Same effects. He didnt have the roland tape echo but had something similiar. Used the same cabinets and everything. He has so many articles and what not he thought it was perfect. But when he all got it together, he still jsut dint play like eddie. probaly cause at the time he was really into zep and had a little bit of jimmys style goin on. But its EVH man, no one will ever play like him.

Yabba Dabba Doo!
    Unchainedguitars, I totally agree.
    Absolutely!

And that's usually MY response when I read any thread regarding "Eddies Sound".
    IMO, there's only ONE way to achieve this sound ... PRACTICE.

Having said that, facts like the type of pickups, parts, rigs, etc ... that EVH used through history still fascinate me. I don't obsess over things like this in an attempt to cop his sound, but it's interesting just the same.

I Love 'Em..I Need 'Em...
    I would agree with his sound being attributed to technique and style of pick attack. I read an article where Eddie said that he played all different amps after his old Marshall Plexi was lost in shipping after the first record, he tried Sunns, Music Mans, fenders and everything else. He said that his tone was not limited to the Marshall and could rarely tell the difference between them. So I would agree with the hands and picking most definately. I too am wondering what kind of Zebra pickup that is in the first Strat???? Maybe an old Dimarzio PAF??

"I want a run for my money thats all"

Originally posted by unchainedguitars@May 8 2005, 01:25 PM
    Well, this is very VERY true however sadly its usually where the conversation ends regarding this subject. Like I said, for many years I tried to get Eds tone with the hard ash strats until one day I bought a Korina Explorer. I put in my usual pickups, strings, 500k pots etc... and I hit the mother-load. I know the explorer/destroyer was used for specific songs but it easily hit the mark for "On Fire, RWD, YRGM and FYLT. So why are my strats (built just like the black and white) never hitting the mark in I'm the One, Aint Talkin', Atomic Punk and Eruption? I really think its the wrong guitar set up for the first album sound.

Oh, and yes it is in the fingers, but with allot of hard work I got beyond that. Here is a clip of on fire I did with the explorer. I don't know if you guys ever visit Guitars101, it a fun site. http://www.guitars101.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31651

Yabba Dabba Doo!
    Oh, and yes it is in the fingers, but with allot of hard work I got beyond that. Here is a clip of on fire I did with the explorer. I don't know if you guys ever visit Guitars101, it a fun site.
    You can't access it unless you're a member. :angry:

Originally posted by Dino@May 9 2005, 04:12 PM
    You can't access it unless you're a member. :angry:
    Just creat an account, its free! There are some hard core VH fans over there plus some great guitar players as well. :184: