Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's in Your cd Player - Page 280
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 280 of 384 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290330380 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,800 of 3837
    EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    That's a cool collection. I really liked this picture in the middle:

Thanks , Jack !
    I just loaded a few more too . There's tons more i could do , but i'm charging my camera battery .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Like Mike
    So I got bored and started searching for Shark album covers, and I came across this messed up one. This band, Bitchslicer, has some messed up but funny album covers. Music is pretty gnarly, too.

Who'da thunk it

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    Thanks , Jack !
    I just loaded a few more too . There's tons more i could do , but i'm charging my camera battery .
    How did you get all of them?

EVH diehard ...
    So I got bored and started searching for Shark album covers, and I came across this messed up one. This band, Bitchslicer, has some messed up but funny album covers. Music is pretty gnarly, too.

Who'da thunk it
    Very obscure stuff !
    I think there might be a cult audience for stuff like this ? LOL

Not gonna lie , the band name sounds "cooler" than some other monikers i've seen . I'll check out the tunes in a few minutes .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

EVH diehard ...
    How did you get all of them?
    Lots of $$$ spent on magazines that got hacked to pieces !

I wasn't lying when i said that i pilfered my old guitar books . I've been keeping and collecting some of these pics since about 1985 ...
    Do i need therapy of some sort ? LOL
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Like Mike
    Since I've brought out the GW Ed compilation, it's natural that I've had a bit of Van Halen on lately.
    The past day I've listened to the debut a few times... For the first time in a long time.

In a lost interview from 1978, Ed tells Rosen that he took tapping from observing a few people doing primitive one note taps (Billy Gibbons, probably) and deciding to take it to the next level. I guess that just confirms the wide speculation that what he said about taking tapping from Page's "Heartbreaker" solo was BS.

EVH diehard ...
    Since I've brought out the GW Ed compilation, it's natural that I've had a bit of Van Halen on lately.
    The past day I've listened to the debut a few times... For the first time in a long time.

In a lost interview from 1978, Ed tells Rosen that he took tapping from observing a few people doing primitive one note taps (Billy Gibbons, probably) and deciding to take it to the next level. I guess that just confirms the wide speculation that what he said about taking tapping from Page's "Heartbreaker" solo was BS.
    That's hard to say , Jack .
    Seeing Billy do a rudimentary tapping lick is one thing that may have opened Ed's eyes to the technique . Witnessing the "Heartbreaker" solo may have been different though ? Page did a lot of fast open string pull offs (where Eddie said he got the idea for using his left hand finger as a capo) , whereas Billy probably did a bend , and tapped a higher note .

Speculation ...
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Like Mike
    That's hard to say , Jack .
    Seeing Billy do a rudimentary tapping lick is one thing that may have opened Ed's eyes to the technique . Witnessing the "Heartbreaker" solo may have been different though ? Page did a lot of fast open string pull offs (where Eddie said he got the idea for using his left hand finger as a capo) , whereas Billy probably did a bend , and tapped a higher note .

Speculation ...
    GW: Was this a technique that you developed or was it just something you stumbled across?

Ed: I really don't know how to explain that. I was just sitting in my room at home, drinkin' a beer, and I remembered seeing people stretching one note and hitting the note once. They popped the finger on there to hit one note. I said, "Well, nobody is really capitalizing on that. Nobody was really doing more than just one stretch and one note real quick." So I started dickin' around and said, "Fuck! This is another technique that nobody really does!" Which it is. I haven't really seen anyone get into that as far as they could because it is a totally different sound. A lot of people listen to that and they don't even think it's a guitar. "Is that a synthesizer? A piano? What is that?"

EVH diehard ...
    GW: Was this a technique that you developed or was it just something you stumbled across?

Ed: I really don't know how to explain that. I was just sitting in my room at home, drinkin' a beer, and I remembered seeing people stretching one note and hitting the note once. They popped the finger on there to hit one note. I said, "Well, nobody is really capitalizing on that. Nobody was really doing more than just one stretch and one note real quick." So I started dickin' around and said, "Fuck! This is another technique that nobody really does!" Which it is. I haven't really seen anyone get into that as far as they could because it is a totally different sound. A lot of people listen to that and they don't even think it's a guitar. "Is that a synthesizer? A piano? What is that?"
    Yeah , that's kind of what i meant . Seeing Billy bend and tap a higher note (now an EVH staple) was what got Eddie into the idea of using the technique
    Curt Mitchel explains this pretty good on his "play in the style of VH" video .

Once Eddie had the basic idea down , i don't doubt the the "Heartbreaker" story comes into play a little bit . Eddie found the inspiration to take the idea , and go crazy with it !!!
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Like Mike
    Yeah , that's kind of what i meant . Seeing Billy bend and tap a higher note (now an EVH staple) was what got Eddie into the idea of using the technique
    Curt Mitchel explains this pretty good on his "play in the style of VH" video .

Once Eddie had the basic idea down , i don't doubt the the "Heartbreaker" story comes into play a little bit . Eddie found the inspiration to take the idea , and go crazy with it !!!
    I think the Page thing is just some bs thing he made up along with boiling strings and twisting the other end of the string each time you turn the tuning peg.

There was a whole thread dedicated to stuff like this a few years ago. ICM did most of the de-bunking.