Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's in Your cd Player - Page 233
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 233 of 384 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283333 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 3837
    Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    Daltrey is one of the best along with Steve Marriott.

The very first album is great, just don't get the remaster in the Deluxe case. It's remixed from the original tapes, but at that time, they didn't have enough tracks to work with to do overdubs, so some of the guitar and vocals were actually added as the three tracks were bounced to the master tape. So therefore in the remix/remaster, made with just the three tracks, a lot is missing! Those parts only exist on the mono master. The original jewel cased CD titled "The Who Sings My Generation," in mono, is the only way to hear the songs properly. I'd love to hear a band cover "Out in the Street" with modern gear.

The Who Sell Out has some hilarious stuff (Heinze Baked Beans!).

Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy has alternate versions of a lot of the hits and also deep cuts. I think Odds & Sods is the "part II" of Meaty Beaty.

Don't be fooled by the one called Magic Bus: The Who On Tour, though. I thought it was a live album, but it's just a compilation.

A lot of the studio stuff outside of Who's Next, though, I really think the live stuff represents the band better. The Kids Are Alright soundtrack is a must have, along with Leeds. Isle of Wight is pretty decent, too. Beyond that, the DVD's Live at Kilburn (disc two from `68 is the better one!), 30 Years of Maximum R&B, the two songs from the Woodstock movie.
    I checked out some of their earlier stuff on Youtube, and I can't get past the production and primitive sound. Guess I'll stick to the live stuff and get my hands on Quadrophenia.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I can't remember, i think it was jack, that introduced me to this guy.
    He's like a one man "Vintage Trouble," and he should have been bigger than John Mayer.
    He combines blues, jazz, R&B, soul, all into one incredible package.
    I absolutely love his guitar playing & phrasing, it's Blues enhanced by a Jazz vocabulary.
    This first tune, i believe, is a Curtis Mayfield cover, and i just love the chords, octaves, etc.

Amazing player.
    One of Joanne Shaw Taylor's favorites, too.

It was me.

I think I first read about him in the liner notes of Hysteria.

Sean Costello used to be a regular at the Northside Tavern here, which also has other unbelievable bands in this vein I've posted (that seem to go ignored). That's what amazes me about Vintage Trouble's success, is that there's been bands doing that kind of music for a long time, but no Doc McGhee ever gets behind them and gets them opening spots for The Who or on David Letterman.

I've got his CD "Cuttin' In," which was recorded in an old school, all-tube studio with ribbon mics just like the blues albums of the `50's and early `60's. I saw him in Guitar Center shopping for a strap just a few months before he died of an OD. Always wished I'd gone over to tell him I liked that album.

No cheer******s allowed!
    It was me.

I think I first read about him in the liner notes of Hysteria.

Sean Costello used to be a regular at the Northside Tavern here, which also has other unbelievable bands in this vein I've posted (that seem to go ignored). That's what amazes me about Vintage Trouble's success, is that there's been bands doing that kind of music for a long time, but no Doc McGhee ever gets behind them and gets them opening spots for The Who or on David Letterman.

I've got his CD "Cuttin' In," which was recorded in an old school, all-tube studio with ribbon mics just like the blues albums of the `50's and early `60's. I saw him in Guitar Center shopping for a strap just a few months before he died of an OD. Always wished I'd gone over to tell him I liked that album.
    See, not all your band's get ignored.

This guy is great, loved him since that first posted clip.
    A guy like Eric Clapton tends to bore me, yet this guy never does.
    He throws in so many cool passing tones, octaves, chromatic lines...
    All this stuff mixed in with his stellar blues playing.
    And he has incredible rhythm, which more & more, is the first step in being a great soloist.

I wonder who this guy listened to?
    I hear a lot of old school soul/R&B, i hear Peter Green and Bloomfield, too.
    He's kind of the anti-Joe Bonamassa.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I wonder who this guy listened to?
    I hear a lot of old school soul/R&B, i hear Peter Green and Bloomfield, too.
    He's kind of the anti-Joe Bonamassa.
    I'm certain he went waaay past Peter Green and Mike Bloomfield. Those probably seemed like Johnny-Come-Latelys to him, like a Skid Row coming after Van Halen I. I would guess he went back to people like Otis Rush and Freddie King. The Northside Tavern attracts people from the Atlanta Blues Society who throw around names like Piano Red and Pinetop Perkins as if they were common knowledge. You get some mundane 12-bar blues bands there, but also some stuff that's unbelievable, and you learn about some new things just being around there.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I'm certain he went waaay past Peter Green and Mike Bloomfield. Those probably seemed like Johnny-Come-Latelys to him, like a Skid Row coming after Van Halen I. I would guess he went back to people like Otis Rush and Freddie King. The Northside Tavern attracts people from the Atlanta Blues Society who throw around names like Piano Red and Pinetop Perkins as if they were common knowledge. You get some mundane 12-bar blues bands there, but also some stuff that's unbelievable, and you learn about some new things just being around there.
    Otis Rush and Freddie King sounds like a good call.
    I can definitely hear Freddie, mixed in there.

For some reason, i'm dying to hear Sean play this stuff on a Fender strat.
    That LP with the P-90's, sounds slick, though.

Like Mike

I remember ICM posting a similar video of this a while back.
    It's one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

The Who were light years ahead of the Stones and the Beatles.
    Hell, this is ahead of what Zeppelin were doing at the same time.
    Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    I checked out some of their earlier stuff on Youtube, and I can't get past the production and primitive sound. Guess I'll stick to the live stuff and get my hands on Quadrophenia.
    This is the first song on the first album, and I always liked it a lot. I'd love to go in a bar and start with this one today. People would be flipped out at first, I think, but then they'd get into it. I try to imagine this manic energy coming out of a Marshall 4x12.

I often felt like the Thamesmen morphing into Spinal Tap was sort of a joke on how The Who started as a Beatles-ish band with Rickenbachers and turned into a guitar-smashing monster with SG's.

Then I try to picture that live, that song probably sounded more like this:

Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post

I remember ICM posting a similar video of this a while back.
    It's one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
    YES! That IS the coolest thing ever! I'll be watching that when I'm 88 and STILL loving it!

A video like that is how I can never understand anyone saying they looked "dorky" onstage. The second that video begins, just look at that visual!

Then at 1:07 - listen to that riff, that groove! That one mean-ass riff slays 1,000 Paul Gilberts!

Then at 3:38 - THE LEAP! Pete Townshend invented every great rock star stage move there ever was.

3:48 - Bouncing the guitar off his forehead! Has even Eddie attempted this playing style?

When I was a lad in the high school talent show we opened with something like this before going into "Summertime Blues." It's an understatement to say our peers did not get what we were doing what-so-ever.

Like Mike
    YES! That IS the coolest thing ever! I'll be watching that when I'm 88 and STILL loving it!

A video like that is how I can never understand anyone saying they looked "dorky" onstage. The second that video begins, just look at that visual!

Then at 1:07 - listen to that riff, that groove! That one mean-ass riff slays 1,000 Paul Gilberts!

Then at 3:38 - THE LEAP! Pete Townshend invented every great rock star stage move there ever was.

3:48 - Bouncing the guitar off his forehead! Has even Eddie attempted this playing style?

When I was a lad in the high school talent show we opened with something like this before going into "Summertime Blues." It's an understatement to say our peers did not get what we were doing what-so-ever.
    I love Pete's live tone. Such power and grit to it.

I think that Pete did look dorky, but in that 1969/70 phase with that white boiler suit on, he looked really bad ass.

I wish that you had video footage of your band doing that... I think it would be cool and funny to watch at the same time. A bunch of kids watching not knowing what's going on.