Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What's in Your cd Player - Page 232
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 232 of 384 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282332 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 3837
    Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Haha, yeah I know! But I think Daltrey's voice was way more powerful than Plant's and had a longer shelf life too.

There is something awesome and pure about the older, more primitively produced Who stuff. My Generation is just primal exhilarating explosiveness. Still one of the greatest outros ever.

I think we'd all like to have a band like the Who!
    I'll have to check out some more of their older stuff. For me it's always been the Tommy to Quadrophenia gap that I wanted to check out, plus live stuff.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    I'll have to check out some more of their older stuff. For me it's always been the Tommy to Quadrophenia gap that I wanted to check out, plus live stuff.
    I think you'll like it all!
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Band Manager
    Add 'By Numbers' to the list.The record aint great but Slip Kid is probably my favorite Who song.Kids are Alright soundtrack is a nice one too have as well.

I've told you this many times, but I always viewed Roger as a primitive version of Robert Plant. Gotta love him, though. Very powerful singer.
    Daltrey is one of the best along with Steve Marriott.

But I don't tire of hearing the Who albums I've got. I don't venture into the earlier stuff, because I feel it might be more primitive with poor production, but I'm starting to re think that approach.
    The very first album is great, just don't get the remaster in the Deluxe case. It's remixed from the original tapes, but at that time, they didn't have enough tracks to work with to do overdubs, so some of the guitar and vocals were actually added as the three tracks were bounced to the master tape. So therefore in the remix/remaster, made with just the three tracks, a lot is missing! Those parts only exist on the mono master. The original jewel cased CD titled "The Who Sings My Generation," in mono, is the only way to hear the songs properly. I'd love to hear a band cover "Out in the Street" with modern gear.

The Who Sell Out has some hilarious stuff (Heinze Baked Beans!).

Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy has alternate versions of a lot of the hits and also deep cuts. I think Odds & Sods is the "part II" of Meaty Beaty.

Don't be fooled by the one called Magic Bus: The Who On Tour, though. I thought it was a live album, but it's just a compilation.

A lot of the studio stuff outside of Who's Next, though, I really think the live stuff represents the band better. The Kids Are Alright soundtrack is a must have, along with Leeds. Isle of Wight is pretty decent, too. Beyond that, the DVD's Live at Kilburn (disc two from `68 is the better one!), 30 Years of Maximum R&B, the two songs from the Woodstock movie.

Band Manager
    I recommend "The Who Sell Out". I think it is easily their best record. I find their records to be very uneven, with a handful of great tracks, and the rest filler. This was true throughout their career, I think. They remind me of "The Police" in that way. Always some great stuff, and then an Entwistle track (or an Andy Summers track).
    Last edited by 1234over; February 9th, 2013 at 05:00 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I can't remember, i think it was jack, that introduced me to this guy.
    He's like a one man "Vintage Trouble," and he should have been bigger than John Mayer.
    He combines blues, jazz, R&B, soul, all into one incredible package.
    I absolutely love his guitar playing & phrasing, it's Blues enhanced by a Jazz vocabulary.
    This first tune, i believe, is a Curtis Mayfield cover, and i just love the chords, octaves, etc.

Amazing player.
    One of Joanne Shaw Taylor's favorites, too.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I can't remember, i think it was jack, that introduced me to this guy.
    He's like a one man "Vintage Trouble," and he should have been bigger than John Mayer.
    He combines blues, jazz, R&B, soul, all into one incredible package.
    I absolutely love his guitar playing & phrasing, it's Blues enhanced by a Jazz vocabulary.
    This first tune, i believe, is a Curtis Mayfield cover, and i just love the chords, octaves, etc.

Amazing player.
    One of Joanne Shaw Taylor's favorites, too.

It wasn't me.

Gary Clark Jr is a pretty good new blues guitarist that should be getting more hype than Vintage Trouble, though.

No cheer******s allowed!
    It wasn't me.

Gary Clark Jr is a pretty good new blues guitarist that should be getting more hype than Vintage Trouble, though.
    I just can't get into that guy at all.

We got it as an in-store promo, and i'd get through about four song's, before the
    manager said, "TURN IT OFF!"

He's got an abrasive tone, he's got predictable (i wanna be Hendrix) phrasing.
    He tries to combine the Jack White/Black Keys lo-fi thing, with Hendrix, and it sounds like a mess.

The only song i LOVED, was i think, the last song.
    It's Clark playing a Robert Johnson style blues (acoustic or a resonator, foot tapping & voice).
    He sounded great on that stripped down tune.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I love the new Joanne Shaw Taylor CD, though.
    She can get sloppy at times, but she attacks the guitar like Gary Moore & Rory Gallagher.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I just can't get into that guy at all.

We got it as an in-store promo, and i'd get through about four song's, before the
    manager said, "TURN IT OFF!"

He's got an abrasive tone, he's got predictable (i wanna be Hendrix) phrasing.
    He tries to combine the Jack White/Black Keys lo-fi thing, with Hendrix, and it sounds like a mess.

The only song i LOVED, was i think, the last song.
    It's Clark playing a Robert Johnson style blues (acoustic or a resonator, foot tapping & voice).
    He sounded great on that stripped down tune.
    He's not great, but he's decent.
    Good enough for me to throw my money away on a couple of his cd's.
    The only problem is that he's a bit monotonous and doesn't venture out of his sound.
    Still take him over Vintage Trouble any day, though.

Speaking of the Black Keys, I think that all of their albums are on special at Best Buy now lol