Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's in Your cd Player - Page 231
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 231 of 384 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241281331 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 3837
    Git some!
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    And one of the greatest melodic hard rock tunes of all time...

I remember hearing this in '81 or '82, and it gave me the damn chills.
    Great guitar tones, amazing vocals...
    You gotta hand it to Dave Meneketti.

He kinda sings like a less arrogant Sammy Hagar.

Early Y&T are probably one of my favorite late 70s bands. I used to just associate them with that one single they had, "Summertime Girls" until I stumbled upon one of their albums when they were going under Yesterday & Today and I was blown away.
    Ready, Eddie!

Band Manager
    Kim Mitchell from the "might as well go for a soda" fame?

You were right about Maiden.
    Steve Harris, apparently, was a big fan and they got the invite for the tour.
    Sounds like a really good bill!

Now, i'm listening to more early Y&T (Earthshaker).
    Menekitti sounds so much like Hagar, to me.
    I could picture Dave singing for VH, on all those post 84 records.
    Kim Mitchell was mainly associated with Max Webster, who collaborated with Rush on the best tune Rush has ever had any part of, "Battle Scar". Billy Sheehan was in MW very briefly, and when he joined Roth they recorded a version of "Kids In Action".
    Last edited by 1234over; February 8th, 2013 at 04:05 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Like Mike
    Have brought out my Live at Leeds copy that I got on the week.

This one is the re-release with 14 tracks.

I always thought that the album might be over-rate, but it really is great. Great sound, everyone is on fire, and Pete rips through some great riffs. What stands out the most is that in between tracks, you can hear what everyone in the band is saying. All of the wise cracks, everything.

Might get the Deluxe Edition which has the entire show...

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Have brought out my Live at Leeds copy that I got on the week.

This one is the re-release with 14 tracks.

I always thought that the album might be over-rate, but it really is great. Great sound, everyone is on fire, and Pete rips through some great riffs. What stands out the most is that in between tracks, you can hear what everyone in the band is saying. All of the wise cracks, everything.

Might get the Deluxe Edition which has the entire show...
    I heard "The Punk meets the Godfather," the other day, during some Who four song block.

I had forgotten what an absolutely amazing song that one was.
    I've always loved Quadrophenia, but that song really set the bar high for Pete's songwriting skills.

What i like about Townshend's concept albums, is that the storylines are always interesting.
    This song is kinda like the reverse of Water's "Wall" concept.
    It's about the band being the real-life wankers, not the fans.

Like Mike
    I heard "The Punk meets the Godfather," the other day, during some Who four song block.

I had forgotten what an absolutely amazing song that one was.
    I've always loved Quadrophenia, but that song really set the bar high for Pete's songwriting skills.

What i like about Townshend's concept albums, is that the storylines are always interesting.
    This song is kinda like the reverse of Water's "Wall" concept.
    It's about the band being the real-life wankers, not the fans.
    I need to get Quadrophenia.

My Dad owns most of Townshend's solo albums, but never really bothered with the Who.
    I found that kind of weird.
    When I was younger I didn't really like them, but now I think they're genius.
    So good at building up those big moments.
    Townshend is a master of chords... Always plays some great ones.
    Great songwriter, who made great soundscapes like only Page and Hendrix could do.

To me, he gets too much flack for his ability.
    I enjoy his simple and sloppy solos, plus the simplicity of his rhythm playing allowed for some memorable stuff, while John filled in the gaps.
    His ambitions for the Lighthouse Project were way out there, though... To crazy for even him to comprehend.

I still think that Pete's closing of their Woodstock set is the most badass moment in rock history.

Pete always denigrated his own guitar ability, but I think he was as good as most of the big names of the time. I find when I watch a DVD like The Kids Are Alright, I can hum most of those solos, I know them so well, even though they were improvised in the moment. Also I think Eddie got that country-ish lick in "Fools" right off of Pete from "Young Man's Blues."

"Sparks" off of that is just unbelievable, as it always was in that period.

The part of The Who you never know about until you get hold of the live bootlegs and DVD's is Pete and Keith's hysterical banter.

"Right now we'd like to play three of our biggest hit singles. The three easiest."

"That was 'I Can't Explain,' which was our first Number Four."

"He catches them right in the act, but in the spirit of the times, he forgives them...because he LOVES WATCHING THAT SORT OF THING!"

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    Pete always denigrated his own guitar ability, but I think he was as good as most of the big names of the time. I find when I watch a DVD like The Kids Are Alright, I can hum most of those solos, I know them so well, even though they were improvised in the moment. Also I think Eddie got that country-ish lick in "Fools" right off of Pete from "Young Man's Blues."

"Sparks" off of that is just unbelievable, as it always was in that period.

The part of The Who you never know about until you get hold of the live bootlegs and DVD's is Pete and Keith's hysterical banter.

"Right now we'd like to play three of our biggest hit singles. The three easiest."

"That was 'I Can't Explain,' which was our first Number Four."

"He catches them right in the act, but in the spirit of the times, he forgives them...because he LOVES WATCHING THAT SORT OF THING!"
    Leeds is probably still my favorite official live album by anybody.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Yours truly, As Is
    I need to get Quadrophenia.

My Dad owns most of Townshend's solo albums, but never really bothered with the Who.
    I found that kind of weird.
    When I was younger I didn't really like them, but now I think they're genius.
    So good at building up those big moments.
    Townshend is a master of chords... Always plays some great ones.
    Great songwriter, who made great soundscapes like only Page and Hendrix could do.

To me, he gets too much flack for his ability.
    I enjoy his simple and sloppy solos, plus the simplicity of his rhythm playing allowed for some memorable stuff, while John filled in the gaps.
    His ambitions for the Lighthouse Project were way out there, though... To crazy for even him to comprehend.

I still think that Pete's closing of their Woodstock set is the most badass moment in rock history.
    They were just a perfect combination. Pete's playing was just right and he didnt need to be all flashy or technical because Entwistle is still the best rock bassist I've heard and Moon's lack of finesse and discipline made Pete's power chords even more powerful. I know nobody else does, but I still will always prefer Daltrey's voice to Plant's by a country mile.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    They were just a perfect combination. Pete's playing was just right and he didnt need to be all flashy or technical because Entwistle is still the best rock bassist I've heard and Moon's lack of finesse and discipline made Pete's power chords even more powerful. I know nobody else does, but I still will always prefer Daltrey's voice to Plant's by a country mile.
    I've told you this many times, but I always viewed Roger as a primitive version of Robert Plant. Gotta love him, though. Very powerful singer.

I've noticed that right now, I'm sort of going out of my metal obsessed phase. Granted, I never really listened exclusively to it, and haven't listened to it nearly as much as I used to in recent years, but now I don't even play metal on guitar any more and admire classic rock bands a whole lot more again. If I were to have a band, I'd wanted to be more like the Who than Sepultura.

But I don't tire of hearing the Who albums I've got. I don't venture into the earlier stuff, because I feel it might be more primitive with poor production, but I'm starting to re think that approach.

Yours truly, As Is
    I've told you this many times, but I always viewed Roger as a primitive version of Robert Plant. Gotta love him, though. Very powerful singer.

I've noticed that right now, I'm sort of going out of my metal obsessed phase. Granted, I never really listened exclusively to it, and haven't listened to it nearly as much as I used to in recent years, but now I don't even play metal on guitar any more and admire classic rock bands a whole lot more again. If I were to have a band, I'd wanted to be more like the Who than Sepultura.

But I don't tire of hearing the Who albums I've got. I don't venture into the earlier stuff, because I feel it might be more primitive with poor production, but I'm starting to re think that approach.
    Haha, yeah I know! But I think Daltrey's voice was way more powerful than Plant's and had a longer shelf life too.

There is something awesome and pure about the older, more primitively produced Who stuff. My Generation is just primal exhilarating explosiveness. Still one of the greatest outros ever.

I think we'd all like to have a band like the Who!